Advice on getting into nitro for an electric racer

Like Tree3Likes

Advice on getting into nitro for an electric racer

Old 01-29-2018, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Advice on getting into nitro for an electric racer

Hi everyone,

I have been racing electric touring for about two years and want to give nitro touring a try. As of now nitro is pretty much dead in my area (only in big race we have one main for nitro touring), electric touring is OK but is still a luxury (racing every other weekend or so)

Talked to owner of the track last week and he love to bring nitro back. I am quite young (20) and would like to give it a try. But due to lack of racers, there is literally no local support except for the owner.

What should I do to get started? I stick to every class I pick up, so I am looking for some genuine advice on the forum.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by yxiaocheng
Hi everyone,

I have been racing electric touring for about two years and want to give nitro touring a try. As of now nitro is pretty much dead in my area (only in big race we have one main for nitro touring), electric touring is OK but is still a luxury (racing every other weekend or so)

Talked to owner of the track last week and he love to bring nitro back. I am quite young (20) and would like to give it a try. But due to lack of racers, there is literally no local support except for the owner.

What should I do to get started? I stick to every class I pick up, so I am looking for some genuine advice on the forum.
Are you going to have a local hobby shop for car parts/advice/support.
It’s usually the selection of car and support equipment for your selected car. I’ve got a new TC on the shelf, NIB but no local drivers in the class. I run GT8 but know I’ll have to get tire truer/smaller starter box/fuel gun/setup gear etc. The class looks fun and some areas are now a bit of a challenge for my GT8.
You’ll soon have some more advice on the topic but my comments come from someone looking from ‘the outside’ with the same concerns about ‘how to make it work’.
Select your ‘brand’ and then get into their thread on RCTech for guidance.
(my kit is a Shepard and will be a solid race brand but support is what I will have to put together because of no ‘local’ action)
‘Nitro TC is awesome, ENJOY’. 😎
Old 01-30-2018, 01:04 AM
Tech Initiate

i started off with electric touring cars too ,but being curious about trying nitro without losing the cool bodies offered by tamiya ,i was delighted when i tried the TG10 mk FN ,this is 190mm so you can use any electric body . heaps of parts available ,super easy set up .
Old 01-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Be patient! Learn how to tune the motor and the clutch. The clutch is a huge tuning tool that you haven't had to deal with the electric. If there are plenty of other racers, someone will more than likely let you use or true your tires for you. Get ready to buy a lot of tires. Count on at least a set or more per weekend.

Most fun class I race!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Who
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just do it !!!!!!!
It's a Gas !!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I went from electric to nitro too. Welcome and you will love it. I run both and I still like nitro better. Filthy, Loud, Smelly and more Expensive but still love it.
I would look for used kit to start. Some here sell entire set of nitro set up when they are getting out of hobby. You may want to check out the sales forum.
Go to engine forum and study "tuning guide" as it is one of the most important things in nitro.
Lastly, as you may know already, you get what you pay for. Invest in cheap brand nitro car and you will want to buy a better one soon. I don't know what your budget is but if you race one of those big name brand electric cars, you will know what I mean. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Are you going to have a local hobby shop for car parts/advice/support.
It’s usually the selection of car and support equipment for your selected car. I’ve got a new TC on the shelf, NIB but no local drivers in the class. I run GT8 but know I’ll have to get tire truer/smaller starter box/fuel gun/setup gear etc. The class looks fun and some areas are now a bit of a challenge for my GT8.
You’ll soon have some more advice on the topic but my comments come from someone looking from ‘the outside’ with the same concerns about ‘how to make it work’.
Select your ‘brand’ and then get into their thread on RCTech for guidance.
(my kit is a Shepard and will be a solid race brand but support is what I will have to put together because of no ‘local’ action)
‘Nitro TC is awesome, ENJOY’. 😎

My local shop support NT1 and Mugens. I probably will get an NT1 because the owner and runs it.
But as if the engines, they don’t have engines in stock so it is pretty much a free fall.

Nitro onroad is always what I love to watch. And I want to see it coming back. Not sure if new racers will make a difference but I will give it a try. Thanks Jerry!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fleecyfingers
i started off with electric touring cars too ,but being curious about trying nitro without losing the cool bodies offered by tamiya ,i was delighted when i tried the TG10 mk FN ,this is 190mm so you can use any electric body . heaps of parts available ,super easy set up .
I will probably go with Xray but thank you for the suggestions!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
Be patient! Learn how to tune the motor and the clutch. The clutch is a huge tuning tool that you haven't had to deal with the electric. If there are plenty of other racers, someone will more than likely let you use or true your tires for you. Get ready to buy a lot of tires. Count on at least a set or more per weekend.

Most fun class I race!
That’s the thing I am kind of afraid of: low turnouts. Pretty much I have to do many things on my own. I have the dedication to becoming good at it. Just want to know what pitfalls I should watch out for.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Which track?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit
Which track?
NorCal hobbies in San Jose.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snuvet75
I went from electric to nitro too. Welcome and you will love it. I run both and I still like nitro better. Filthy, Loud, Smelly and more Expensive but still love it.
I would look for used kit to start. Some here sell entire set of nitro set up when they are getting out of hobby. You may want to check out the sales forum.
Go to engine forum and study "tuning guide" as it is one of the most important things in nitro.
Lastly, as you may know already, you get what you pay for. Invest in cheap brand nitro car and you will want to buy a better one soon. I don't know what your budget is but if you race one of those big name brand electric cars, you will know what I mean. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion! I am going to read and ask around when people do show up. Watching the for sales forum now. Hopefully I can pick up an NT1
snuvet75 likes this.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if u don't have a local track and don't plan on traveling then don't get started!!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by yxiaocheng
NorCal hobbies in San Jose.
If you’re near San Jose, check out Speed World Raceway in Roseville, CA.

Great track....owner/racers....hobby shop on site.....fun place and they’ve been ‘expanding’. Contact them for availability/schedule!!
yxiaocheng likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

there's a few nitro guys in northern ca, fresno hobbytown has a pretty decent amount of locals that run nitro TC as does already mentioned speedworld in roseville and there's warm springs in fremont should be starting up soon believe the 1st race is march 31st.
yxiaocheng likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.