R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Haven't Touched My RC in Over 2 Years! Need Help!

OK guy, I need some help.

When I was 16 I bought an HPI RS4 RTR and loved the thing. I put a 2 speed transmission on it, exhaust, fiber brake, wheels, etc. I never was REALLY into it, I just always would mess around in parking lots with friends.

I guess as I got deeper into school and then evetually moved off the college I never had time to play with it anymore and I had broken a part on it and never bothered to fix it. I finally made it back home and was able to gather the stuff up and bring it to where I live now.

I just turned 20 and am wanting to get my car working like it used to. When I visit the HPI website its like Greek. So many things have changed with these little guys that I don't know where to start....

I have alittle cash to blow but I don't want to go crazy. I want a really nice engine and an exhaust that exits out the rear [dual?]. I'm not all for performance, so it doesn't really matter. I just want to know if I should go with all new HPI parts or if there are others out there I could use.

The entire car needs to be torn down because I left fuel in it, and batteries, etc. so its really not in good shape. Tell me where to start..... I'm completely lost, haha!

TIA,
Chris
HomieG35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

let me ask,
Is your rs4 the belt one,? If yes, it is much harder to find parts.

Do you want on-raod or off road? this make huge differences

How much you want to spend? Money determine what you can get

Do you want a pull start car or non pull start one? Pull-start in smaller block is side exhaust but big block is always rear exhust. non-pull startis always rear exhaust but need a starter box for it, do you have one?

please answer those question so we can help you with further info
Old 02-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Agent Send a message via Yahoo to Agent

If the motor was working good back then, you could prolly take the motor apart, clean it with some wd40 and it will be fine. Fix your part and start riding!

WTB: Hitec X4 AC charger
Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent
If the motor was working good back then, you could prolly take the motor apart, clean it with some wd40 and it will be fine. Fix your part and start riding!

Yup!!
Good advise.

As for parts, I thinks only GPM and Integy still sell aftermarket parts for the older RS4 type cars. If you have the shaft drive model, there are more aftermarket part still available. If you get a new motor, get a new OS TZ. Big bang for the buck. Just make sure you get the standard shaft model.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Good adice with the tz, but it doesn't sound like he is going to race, I would say the O.S. .18CV-R. You can get em for about 90 at your local hobby shop, and they have more power than the .12 tz, and last forever! I've got about 3 gallons through each of mine, and they have no sign of wear at all! I LOVE O.S.!!!

Old 02-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

I got off the phone with HPI today and they said they still had parts for the car. And that I could go with the .18SS engine made by them?

I wanted it to be badass, but it seems that things have changed alot. So in the money I may spend trying to fix mine up and getting it looking nice I might as well buy a brand new one that is cool.

So whats a pretty nice car out that you can buy for under $500?
HomieG35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Tech Adept

nothings really wrong with the rs4... if you bought the .18cv-r for 90 bucks, you would have more power than any rtr car out there now. If you DO decide to get a new car, I think you should go with the Nitro TC3 RTR. I don't think many people here will disagree either... Thats the best race/parking lot car bar none.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NSantana Send a message via MSN to NSantana

You can rip with that car,

It was my first...I still prefer it over the evo that I suuped up...it was the lightest of its time and arguably still the lightest...there is ALOT you can do to that car...if you dont want to go the big$$ HPI mod route, check out wolfpackradicals.com......he's got all kinds of items for the car. IMO, spend some of that 500 on:

-spare diffs (for the long-hual upkeep)
-BELTS!!!!
-some good belt pulleys (i use to have some aluminum ones back in japan...i'm sure someone makes em in the us though)
-os 18CV-R (best useable power for that car...anything else would be too much imo)

...any aditional stuff on there would be to your preference/likings...w/ 500 into this car, you can have parts stock until HPI comes out with a "good" car" lol

**PM me if you decide to go this route and need help w/ anything
NSantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent
nothings really wrong with the rs4... if you bought the .18cv-r for 90 bucks, you would have more power than any rtr car out there now. If you DO decide to get a new car, I think you should go with the Nitro TC3 RTR. I don't think many people here will disagree either... Thats the best race/parking lot car bar none.
the ntc3 rtr is easy to setup and has a lot more adjustments so if you ever want to take it a step further than carpark bashing then this would be the car best suited to you.alsocheck parts availability and prices.if you can find good prices on associated parts and you can get them easily then go for it
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
Tech Adept

I would still just fix up the hpi man... My favorite cars are HPI's.. They can take a beating and just start right back up... Saturday night I slammed my super nitro into a curb on account of a dead servo. Prolly hit around 50-55 and the only the that happened, was a little hairline crack on the bumper of the body, and one of the tires separated... the chassis "flexed" so I "flexed" it back the other way. lol