R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Dented (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/100471-dented.html)

maskedrider 02-03-2006 11:53 PM

Dented

dented pipe can be fixed???

Xyvern 02-04-2006 12:36 AM

Yes, try using the heatgun. :)

AndyT © 02-04-2006 01:00 AM

If your pipe is dented try "freezing" the dent out.....to do this-
1. Remove pipe/header etc from car
2. Close off the pressure outlet (i use old fuel tube kinked over and cabled tied)
3. Close of the stinger....cling wrap and elastic bands work
4. Fill the large end with water, and then place the pipe in the freezer......check every 20 minutes or so.....the water will freeze and expand and hopefully push the dent out. Make sure you check every 20 min`s or so that it doesnt over expand.
Hope this helps
Cheers

TT120 02-04-2006 02:05 AM

The freezer trick does work. I've done it several times. You may have to do it 3 or 4 times to get most of the dent out.

maskedrider 02-04-2006 02:58 AM

can this dent can be 'freezing' out ?

Ivan Dickson 02-04-2006 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by maskedrider

Should be no problem. :nod: :nod:

maskedrider 02-04-2006 09:15 AM

hopefully it can be fixed :smile:

AndyT © 02-04-2006 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by maskedrider

If its dented like this, i try and straighten the stinger area out by inserting a screwdriver (or similar) into the stinger and levering it into shape a bit.
If you use some metal putty (in future pipes) to put around the stinger area to build it up, this should help prevent damage.
Cheers

maskedrider 02-04-2006 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by AndyT ©
If its dented like this, i try and straighten the stinger area out by inserting a screwdriver (or similar) into the stinger and levering it into shape a bit.
If you use some metal putty (in future pipes) to put around the stinger area to build it up, this should help prevent damage.
Cheers

i had tried using screwdriver to lever it but seems it quite difficult.
i now using the freezing method to see if works :blush:

Dreddlox 02-04-2006 07:39 PM

Dont do it while the pipe is cold, it may crack at the seam. Warm the pipe up and then bend. It will go into place with no problem. :nod:

Riketsu 02-04-2006 09:51 PM

Next time this happens, try to do this when you realize its dented. It should happen after you ran your car, which means the pipe will be at operating temperature and it would be easy to pull it with plyers.

hav_lova 02-04-2006 11:05 PM

After you fix the dent put some kneadit on the stinger so it doesn't happen again. its a 2 part putty its the shizne!!

maskedrider 02-05-2006 03:01 AM

getting better after first freezing, hopefully after doing several time to get the orginal shape out. Will post the result after completed. :smile:

Dan D 02-05-2006 03:30 AM

quick little addition to the freezing. You need to seal it up completely so it doesn't expand out the openings. I use tubing on the stinger with a bolt in it and on the coupler side and two piece pipe coupler with a bolt in it. it will take alot less times of freezing

maskedrider 02-05-2006 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dan D
quick little addition to the freezing. You need to seal it up completely so it doesn't expand out the openings. I use tubing on the stinger with a bolt in it and on the coupler side and two piece pipe coupler with a bolt in it. it will take alot less times of freezing

hmm.... me only used tubing on the stinger and the rest used only plastic bag tie with a rubberband....hope i using the right way :sweat: