Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

only tells me how much you know.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:48 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to NEMMITH

I wonder if his Radio smells?

litespeed-dom- sorry about what I said earlier, no hard feelings. I didn't realize that I was on the Nitro On Road forum, I thought he was talking about 1/8 Offroad buggies.
NEMMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:51 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Nemmith, no big deal, it's only a forum, it's all good. I'm sure, but all he needs to do is to call KO up and they'll send him a new one!
Old 11-27-2002, 02:57 PM   #19
Tech Adept

It must be nice. Hey dom I was thinking of getting a 1/8 onroad car, now I know you run the MRX3 but what else is out there that I could run. Secondly, Why should I pick the MRX3 over any other car?
Old 11-27-2002, 04:33 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Depending on your budget.... and how much you want to spend maintaining it too.

Price of a kit
Mugen $450
Serpent 950 appr. $600
Picco new car (don't know the price)
I have never even seen the Picco car yet so let's count that out

For the price of $10 on a single Serpent arm, you get 2 Mugen arms. Mugen $60 clutch vs. Serpent $100 centax clutch.

Serpent parts can be hard to get, Serpent also takes a month off in the middle of the summer, so no service during that month!

Mugen fitment is second to none, with Serpent you have to ream all the holes out to get the arms move freely.

The new Serpent 950 copied a lot of Mugen designs so you know what the Serpent boys were thinking.

Both cars are very competative, I'm not sure if Picco will be competative at all. Do not get a half a$$ like a GS Sonic, or NEO (you'll never find parts), Slide is about $800 for the chassis, parts are extremely expensive.

I drove a Serpent 2 years ago and I switched to a Mugen this year, I'm a LOT happier with cheaper/higher quality parts all season long! It's an easier car to drive (tons of steering). And thru 11 races, I might have spent only $50 on replacement parts, real sturdy car!
Old 11-27-2002, 04:41 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Ok, I think Iam sold, I know what I am going to get myself for x-mass.

Thanks-Dom
Old 11-27-2002, 04:45 PM   #22
Tech Elite

If you are shopping, go to www.gasrccar.com, Lee is an extremely nice guy to deal with. Mugen parts are 16% off list price. Tell him you know Dominic, he'll take good care of you. Also check Jason's site www.mrx3.com, he got tons of info on that car.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:46 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Default Mugen

Who has parts for the Mugen online? Now I want one! Is $450 the cheapest you can get one for?
Etahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:47 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Default The best price?

Hey Dom,

Who has the best price on the mrx-3?

woah ...you read my mind, that's freaky....
Old 11-27-2002, 04:50 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Default Becoming a Better overall Driver

Some opinions please;

I am a pretty good sportsman/expert driver at the local club level, but would like to improve my driving skills even more. I race Nitro TC's mostly on parking lot tracks, but we have an 1/8 scale on-road track nearby.
Would 1/8 scale on-road racing make me a better/faster TC racer?

Thanks,
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:05 PM   #26
Tech Elite

yeah, shop around can find you the cheapest. $450 is the cheapest I have seen.

Sites that carries parts and this car.
www.speedtechrc.com
www.gasrccar.com
www.ashfordhobby.com

If you find it for $510, that's too much already. $450 will be great price to get. You guys can find used ones on ebay and For Sale section for very good price.

Popsracer,
1/8th scale is the top top of r/c racing...well the other one is 1/12th scale. 1/8 scale racing could be a very evil thing to get into. It's fast and you need a lot of motor and chassis tuning skills, and money of course. You'll be running into a whole new territory, overdrive ratio, tires split, rollout, truing tires, also the track will probably be treated with VHT..... But if you like racing and if you can dedicate yourself a year of first year frustration, you'll love the class, there is no other substitute! As for driving skills, yes if you can drive an 1/8th scale well, you will improve your sedan skills by a whole lot. But if you are using 1/8th scale as training for your TC, let me tell you one thing though, after you raced 1/8th scale, you wouldn't want to go back to sedans. I used to have a Veteq, Impact, Impulse, MRX3, thought I would run all 3 classes..... but now I only have the MRX3 and the rest are all gone! It's addicting.

Forgot to mention: if you are an expert driver in TC, you shouldn't have a whole lot of difficulties transitioning over to 1/8th scale. One of our really good sedan driver switched over to 1/8th scale this year, he only took 2nd at the Regionals with a not very competitive Veteq in his 2nd 1/8th scale race!

Last edited by litespeed-dom; 11-27-2002 at 05:15 PM.
litespeed-dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

why does he drive with his feet?
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 07:03 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Default Better Driver

litespeed-dom;

I am a Top Sportsman driver and a Mid-pack Expert driver in TC at the club level. My friends that race 1/8 scale usually race expert class in our club races. Many times I have run better lap times in Sportsman with rubber tires than they did in Expert class with Foams. I race a little 1/10 off-road and that has helped me adapt my driving to changing track conditions better.

A little Bio on myself:

I am a 46 yrs old (on Monday) Retired Industrial Maintenance Mechanic/Electrician and have been solidly into R/C RACING for just over 3 yrs. My FIRST R/C Car was an Associated RC200 1/8 Nitro Pan Car. (Nightmare to Drive) Currently I own
8 R/C vehicles between me and my sons with 6 being Nitro powered. I usually race 3-4 times a month mostly on-road.
For many years when I got out of High School. I Street/bracket raced my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner, Which I built up from nothing but a rolling chassis. (gettingtoo long winded now)
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 08:54 PM   #29
Tech Elite

pops,

then I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems with 1/8th at all!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:19 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

maxboost,

I have to agree, this is a very poor taste post. You will see posts like this many times from dom-litespeed where his bias opinion continues to get in the way of good conversation.

Quote:
Originally posted by litespeed-dom
Here's an advice. Use the money for the Rossi motor, get yourself a Mugen MRX3, get rid of that OFNA pos, put a regular RB C5 in there... If you want speed, there you go. And don't waste your money on junk stuff.