R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Agent Send a message via Yahoo to Agent
Default A few questions...

Hi all, I've been in R/C since I was about 13 and just now (10 years almost) later I want to start actually racing... Something I have never really done... I've gone to Speedline and my best lap with my NTC3 and crap Megatech .16 was a 19.5, and 21 was my average consistant time... My question is this, I want to start racing on road nitro semi seriously, and I'm kind of at a loss as to the way I should procede. I've got a few on road cars, but the TC3 is the best one I have, even with the not-so-good megatech on it. I'm kind of wondering if I should plan on getting a new car, like the Koyosho, which I have heard fantastic things about, or the Mugen MTX-4 which looks like the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, or just spend some more money and get the tc3 really set up nice (with a new motor and all). That brings up a good point, I'm going to have to get a new motor sooner or later, and Speedline Hobbies, my local track, is pretty much letting the nito cars run any small block they want... I figure great, I can get a .18 tz and call it good. But what happens if I want to go to B and B Hobbies, or the track in Miami? (I live in Florida) Is picking an .18 engine over like the .12 tz 5 port going to bite me in the behind? Either way, I would really like to get the car that I am going to be racing with primarily now, so I can be practicing on it. I'm not a big fan of practicing on something, and then when I get good getting something different and having to go through the whole process over again...

Anyway, I hope some people can shed some light on this for me... I already have pretty good radio gear, so I don't have to worry too much about that. Thanks for any, and all inputs!
Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent
Hi all, I've been in R/C since I was about 13 and just now (10 years almost) later I want to start actually racing... Something I have never really done... I've gone to Speedline and my best lap with my NTC3 and crap Megatech .16 was a 19.5, and 21 was my average consistant time... My question is this, I want to start racing on road nitro semi seriously, and I'm kind of at a loss as to the way I should procede. I've got a few on road cars, but the TC3 is the best one I have, even with the not-so-good megatech on it. I'm kind of wondering if I should plan on getting a new car, like the Koyosho, which I have heard fantastic things about, or the Mugen MTX-4 which looks like the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, or just spend some more money and get the tc3 really set up nice (with a new motor and all). That brings up a good point, I'm going to have to get a new motor sooner or later, and Speedline Hobbies, my local track, is pretty much letting the nito cars run any small block they want... I figure great, I can get a .18 tz and call it good. But what happens if I want to go to B and B Hobbies, or the track in Miami? (I live in Florida) Is picking an .18 engine over like the .12 tz 5 port going to bite me in the behind? Either way, I would really like to get the car that I am going to be racing with primarily now, so I can be practicing on it. I'm not a big fan of practicing on something, and then when I get good getting something different and having to go through the whole process over again...

Anyway, I hope some people can shed some light on this for me... I already have pretty good radio gear, so I don't have to worry too much about that. Thanks for any, and all inputs!
There are some great nitro kits in the market I feel the best way to choose a kit is parts avalidability also local track surpport from other racers,for example at my local track in so. cali. the hot cars are KYOSHO RRR, MTX4 With plenty of parts for both cars in the track hobby shop if they don't have order in one day, I heard that florida is SERPENT country I hope this info. help you make a good decision GOOD LUCK.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb

i would stay away from tc3 a little brittle when you meet the bords of the track, especially when you start to have the confinements of a track. racing on a track and parking lot running a world of difference. the above post has great advice, get the car that your confident you can get parts in just a few days. As far as motor stay with a roar legal motor, then your options are broader Like joining the forgass racers , then you will get some very good experience and also we all will help you with set ups and any help you may need. have fun Peter
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Tech Addict

i say get a better engine and stick with your ntc3 because its a great car to learn on.Theres no point in getting a pro car if you don't know how to set it up and drive it properly.If you can get parts easily for your ntc3 then stick with that for now until you get the hang of driving and setup.
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Chris West

See if you can get a Mugen MTX-3 Prospec second hand, its like a bulletprof tank, one of the strongest most durable car Ive come across and is not that far off the race pace of MTX-4 at all, a TC3 can't hurt a fly compared to a MTX-3.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Whats a good motor to run? Is the os 5 port .12 turbo roar legal? I'm pretty sure the 3 port is, and I know roar changed their rules, and does that now make the 5 port legal?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fritzD

Roar only allow 4 port engines...... 3port( for the piston sleeves) and one for exhaust.. OS TZ is an awesome engine.. very durable, relibale, and fast!!
fritzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Ok so I'm getting an .12 tz...

Now for the car. I want a new car. So in a few minutes I'm going to get a Kyosho WC, or a Mugen MTX4.... I'm thinking the Mugen because it looks like tower carries all the parts for it... My LHS' don't carry either it seems, and any track I would travel would have the parts for all of the cars...
Old 02-03-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
Tech Adept

screw it, people win the the nitro tc3, if I get a good motor, I should be able to hang with the big boys... Plus, I really want the new Ofna Hyper One Seven anyway... :-)
Old 02-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Tech Adept

NTC3 are good cars anyway but is you're NTC3 a factory kit or team kit or RTR if you have a FT NTC3 why not stick with the car, Just look at the race result at the world they all had problems but they were heading for success if you have a team kit if it hasn't gave you any troubles and you want to keep it gradualy get more hop ups for it so its FT Spec.
This one is simple if you have a RTR just keep it for pull start.

I suggest that you keep the car untill you find a good line and you up there with the times with the locals best and untill you can get through a race without nipping anything.

Cheers
ChApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Tech Adept

its a version one team
Old 02-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

The only person that wins nitro races with the NTC3 is Barry Baker. The car is pretty good, but it is very fragile. Either of your choices previous.. the Kyosho or Mugen would be a lot better for you over time.

I drive for Mugen so I will tell you why you should get one.

Mugen has the best parts availability (except maybe AE)
Mugen has the best customer support in the USA
Mugen has the largest team which can be very helpful with tips/and setup.
Mugen has an extemely new car out with the MTX4 and the car is very very competetive.

I agree with some of the advice people are giving about not getting a new car until you can drive without hitting anything. Problem is this. IF you hit stuff you are going to spend a lot more of your time wrenching than practicing. I started with a NTC3 and spent every spare minute at the track wrenching on that car. I got an MTX3 and I then spent my extra time harassing my competition.

BTW: The MTX4 is awesome.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree with Scott, You need a good car for your first car. Buy a used MTX-3. There are alot of them hanging around now. Still a very good car. my2cents
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #14
Tech Adept

well my plan for now is to run the ntc3. I've already got it, and I just bought the 3 port os 12 tz and a new rd logics pipe. I think that if I can shave a few seconds off my time over the next couple months with this car, I'll buy the mtx-4, and all I'll need is the chassis...
Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
The only person that wins nitro races with the NTC3 is Barry Baker. The car is pretty good, but it is very fragile. Either of your choices previous.. the Kyosho or Mugen would be a lot better for you over time.

I drive for Mugen so I will tell you why you should get one.

Mugen has the best parts availability (except maybe AE)
Mugen has the best customer support in the USA
Mugen has the largest team which can be very helpful with tips/and setup.
Mugen has an extemely new car out with the MTX4 and the car is very very competetive.

I agree with some of the advice people are giving about not getting a new car until you can drive without hitting anything. Problem is this. IF you hit stuff you are going to spend a lot more of your time wrenching than practicing. I started with a NTC3 and spent every spare minute at the track wrenching on that car. I got an MTX3 and I then spent my extra time harassing my competition.

BTW: The MTX4 is awesome.
I think Scott is correct with everything he says if you substitute Mugen with Kyosho and MTX4 with RRR. Honestly, if you are serious about racing you should consider a new car. The Kyosho, Mugen and Serpent are all popular in Fla. and you can great support for all of them.

AE is a great company but the NTC3 is a little fragile for my taste. I know this from experience.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote