Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
New Style Clutch for 1/8 GT >

New Style Clutch for 1/8 GT

Like Tree21Likes

New Style Clutch for 1/8 GT

Old 11-28-2017, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Why would a clutch design be illegal? Clutches transfer power, they don't generate it. As long as you're running the same size engine as everyone else, I'd think your choice of clutch design would be your own business, same as your choice of gear ratio and brake pad compound.
If you drive a car you normally engage the clutch with a slow movement and slowly add some throttle. But if you first rev up the engine to an high rpm and let go the clutch as quick as possible your car shoots away. That last is hard to get with a normal centrifugal clutch but very easy with a centax type clutch.

The problem of the clutch in the opening post is that the spring tension with a central spring and adjustment nut is based on a centax type clutch but as mentioned still uses centrifugal moving shoes to touch the clutchbell.
Most difference with the centax clutch is that the centax has an axial moving shoe which due the coninal shape fitting in the conical clutchbell creates less slip. Les slip makes it easy to set an higher engage point, today that can be arround 23.000 up to 25.000 rpm w/o any issues. With a normal centrifugal clutch that can not be done....

To me the most important difference beween several types of centrifugal clutches is the easy adjust of the spring which can only be seen as an advantage in setup time, it can be done from the outside with optional a huge range of springs while the "old buggy style" needs to disassamble the clutch to change the springs from a limited range.

The Buku is somewhere in between as there are more systems today to set the spring tension without replacing them, the new REDS clutch has I belive also 3 or 4 positions for a spring tension and can also not been seen as an "old type buggy clutch".

So yes, the idea of the EFRA could be good but with all kind of clutches today not easy to understand the "old buggy type", if they realy want the old buggy style then they must write:
- centrifugal moving clutch shoes
- each shoe has a non adjustable spring
- spring tension may only be changed by replacing the springs
- square clutchbell
Old 11-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Yes, werks has made these too.
Good memory, we did make them!

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
These clutches started with SPM about 6 years ago. They are legal in the offroad so it should not be a problem with he GT, also difficult to control. The base is still a centrifugal clutch, only the spring is different.
6 years ago lol? Try about nearly 14 years ago! We worked with SPM and sold these starting back in 2003/4 up unitl about 2012!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

I am getting too old too quickly.....
Old 11-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am getting too old too quickly.....
Lol arn't we all! By the way I just noticed from your sig that you are in Holland. I actually grew up in Utrecht
Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

I just don't see the point of regulating the type of clutch each competitor uses. If a competitor wants to prematurely wear-out their engine and tires by having a really high engagement RPM, that's their decision. Regulate the engine power, the tire traction, and the fuel capacity, and you've got a fair race; all other vehicle adjustments will require serious compromises.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:13 AM
Tech Champion

Going from the limits with a "buggy style" clutch to a Centax clutch can give an advantage of 0.5 maybe up to 1 sec of laptimes with a same power engine.....
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Going from the limits with a "buggy style" clutch to a Centax clutch can give an advantage of 0.5 maybe up to 1 sec of laptimes with a same power engine.....
Gents, what i don't understand is why there's always talk about laptimes when it comes down to whether parts are allowed or not. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. whether the centax is quicker, a specific engine is quicker or whatever is quicker, is totally irrelevant to keep a class alive.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

Let me remind you we are here in a GT clutch topic so it is very well on topic. Keeping GT alive is another topic.....
Old 11-30-2017, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Let me remind you we are here in a GT clutch topic so it is very well on topic. Keeping GT alive is another topic.....
Yeessss...true that. I was just triggered...
Old 11-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Centax clutches also require more maintenance, don't "hold a tune" as well as pivoting centrifugal clutches, and have more moving parts that could malfunction. Like I said, serious compromises. If you're willing to risk your clutch failing partway through a race in exchange for better lap times *if* you're a good enough driver, that is your decision to make -- it's no different from using aluminum screws to hold the chassis together, or ultralight wheels to reduce rotating mass.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Centax clutches also require more maintenance, don't "hold a tune" as well as pivoting centrifugal clutches, and have more moving parts that could malfunction. Like I said, serious compromises. If you're willing to risk your clutch failing partway through a race in exchange for better lap times *if* you're a good enough driver, that is your decision to make -- it's no different from using aluminum screws to hold the chassis together, or ultralight wheels to reduce rotating mass.
So you do not have much experiences with a Centax type clutch? Yes, they do need more attention to be builded up but once you know it is just as easy as a "buggy style" clutch.
It is a matter of choosing the right parts like the shoe, the spring and the fly weights. Those are the parts making the performance of the clutch. Last season I have runned 6 races with the same clutch without any issues you mentioned, with the only maintenance of oiling the bearings and re-adjusting the gap.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have you ever raced a 1/8th IC track car or a nitro sedan? Do the fail? Yes, occasionally, but very seldom.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi.

That clutch is nothing new, when in my club we ran in GT in 2004 and we used that clutch, there are or at least there were several brands that produce it, SPM, OT, BP RACING and I will surely forget some more.

Usually come with three springs, one too soft and two quite hard, actually only works well one of the springs and you have to give very, very little squeeze because if not the clutch skids too much and VERY, VERY IMPORTANT THE CAST FIXING SCREWS A THE SPRING TIGHTENING NUT because if it does not have a fastener the nut tends to tighten itself, some of the marks come with several types of pads, black, white and red, it is best to wear all black, it must be taken into account that the pads they have a medium / high wear ratio when compared to standard all-terrain clutches in exchange for higher performance.

Of all the ones I've tried the best is the one manufactured by BP RACING, it only includes one spring (it's hard and works very well) and only one type of pills (black).

http://www.rcmodelstore.com/racing-f...ly-p-3299.html

Greetings.

Last edited by horchata; 12-01-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anybody run a GIMAR clutch in a serpent? Does it fit or need much adjusting regarding clutch bell length etc?
Old 10-31-2018, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cilal View Post
Has anybody run a GIMAR clutch in a serpent? Does it fit or need much adjusting regarding clutch bell length etc?
PM'd you Cilal. Sorry for missing your messages as I was taking a break from the forum!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service