Search
Like Tree4Likes

1/8 GT On Road tire preference

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/8 GT On Road tire preference

Hi all

Appreciate this is scattered all over but I want to know your "best preferred" tires.

Also looking at value for money vs. performance and where the tires are available from.

Let me know your thoughts

Jeremy
Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Sweep for me.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

+1 Sweep all day long. EXP 40 for qualifying and EXP 45 for finals (EXP 50 when it’s really hot or a very long final on a high wear track).
Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

I recently gave the Sweep EXP 40s a go in qualifying, and they were always 0.4-0.5 sec/lap slower than our go to tires, GRP S2 (when it cold, as it was a few weeks ago). Same with Flashpoint 40s. I'll give these racing slick a better go next spring when the weather is nicer
Old 11-13-2017, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Yes. GRP for me too.
You do need to watch the compound your using though so as you do not over heat the rubber.
They tend to be a bunch cheaper too. Generally 20% cheaper then the more popular (in the US anyway) brands.

Regards
BM
Old 11-13-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by British Menace
Yes. GRP for me too.
You do need to watch the compound your using though so as you do not over heat the rubber.
They tend to be a bunch cheaper too. Generally 20% cheaper then the more popular (in the US anyway) brands.

Regards
BM
True, we go from S2-S4 for our temperature range during the year. If they overheat in a 30 min final you can really feel it. They also don't last much more than a main but they are priced very competitively
Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Personally I hate the GRP tires. Yes I said that! They really don’t work for me or at any of the UK tracks. The sweep tyres are way faster here.
Scott B likes this.

Last edited by dan_vector; 11-13-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

It will be interesting to see how the new Matrix GT tires fare at the US World Cup in a couple of weeks.
They are the "SPEC TIRE" for the GT class there.

regards
BM
Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

It will be interesting to see how the new Matrix GT tires fare at the US World Cup in a couple of weeks.
They are the "SPEC TIRE" for the GT class there.

regards
BM
I had to look at that note on the ‘spec tire’ twice, have never heard of them and haven’t been able to find info on them for purchase. That will be interesting to have a whole field of GT8 racers on an ‘unknown factor’.
😎
Old 11-15-2017, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

I tried the grp tires at arcadia at the cow patty race last weekend and the sweeps were way better and faster, on another note the matrix tires at the nitro cup should be interesting with new tires nobody has used. cant wait should be interesting and fair for everybody
Old 11-15-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Personally I hate the GRP tires. Yes I said that! They really don’t work for me or at any of the UK tracks. The sweep tyres are way faster here.
I understand why you'd be annoyed, they marble up in a weird way (Revo ones, I haven't tried the slicks) and they had a run of wheels which had the hex so tight you couldn't remove it from the car without heating the wheel up (they have solved it now). But, at the end of the day, they are faster here. I really like the quality of the Sweep, they are supremely balanced from the bag.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
I had to look at that note on the ‘spec tire’ twice, have never heard of them and haven’t been able to find info on them for purchase. That will be interesting to have a whole field of GT8 racers on an ‘unknown factor’.
😎
Yeah Jerry A little surprising. They ae brand new. First "big" race with them anywhere. They have not officially been released yet?!

Regards
BM
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howardns
I tried the grp tires at arcadia at the cow patty race last weekend and the sweeps were way better and faster, on another note the matrix tires at the nitro cup should be interesting with new tires nobody has used. cant wait should be interesting and fair for everybody
Yes. I was really hoping to go to the Cow Patty but was unable to.

If I had been able to go, I would have ran GRP too.

Regards
BM
Old 11-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Who is the best retailer to buy your tyres from. (Sweep? GRP?)
Old 11-15-2017, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah Jerry A little surprising. They ae brand new. First "big" race with them anywhere. They have not officially been released yet?!

Regards
BM
Are the new Matrix tires rubber or are we getting introduced to ‘foamies’ for GT8 ?? 😳

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.