Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Foam Tire Traction Compound on 1/8 on road ? >

Foam Tire Traction Compound on 1/8 on road ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree48Likes

Foam Tire Traction Compound on 1/8 on road ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Foam Tire Traction Compound on 1/8 on road ?

Anyone use traction compound on 1/8 on road ?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Anyone use traction compound on 1/8 on road ?
Everybody! Team Gravity has the most popular product. You can buy off their website.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by davidl
Everybody! Team Gravity has the most popular product. You can buy off their website.
Thanks D, I seen it but didn't know if anyone used it, I know a long time ago (dang am getting old lol) I used to use paragon traction compound on my 1/10 scale bolink.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Thanks D, I seen it but didn't know if anyone used it, I know a long time ago (dang am getting old lol) I used to use paragon traction compound on my 1/10 scale bolink.
I used to use suntan lotion back in "the day." The higher SPF the better. Sometimes we would put that over Ground Effects. The thing that stinks now is that you have to spend big dollars for a machine that applies the compound properly. Wish we didn't have that.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In Europe pretty much everyone uses MR33 outdoor additive. The application machine is a must though if you want the additive to last the whole run.

It's a bit misleading to state that "everyone uses additive in 1/8". For example all the big international races such as the Euros, World Championships, ENS, EFRA GPs, Asian champs etc Additive is expressly banned and they all run control tires. It seems only legal in Italy at the Italian Nationals and the US.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Quick question,
1:Is MR33 -0001 for foam as well as rubber? Only asking as in the online shop it says rubber. Looking for a traction compound to try. May give sauce a go (1/8th GP Foam) as not really run it seriously before and interested how much advantage it is.

2: More general query... If I don’t buy a machine to do it “properly” and rely on brush on and vacuum bag for my process, is it really worth doing? Or shall I just focus on running with no additive in case I’m called up for the Worlds in 2019*. When I tried it one weekend found the car wasn’t consistent and had more issues getting the tyres dried and “switched on” (however sure that this is something I’d resolve with practise!).

General thoughts appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
JBSpeed

*May not be realistic. :-)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JBSpeed
Quick question,
1:Is MR33 -0001 for foam as well as rubber? Only asking as in the online shop it says rubber. Looking for a traction compound to try. May give sauce a go (1/8th GP Foam) as not really run it seriously before and interested how much advantage it is.

2: More general query... If I don’t buy a machine to do it “properly” and rely on brush on and vacuum bag for my process, is it really worth doing? Or shall I just focus on running with no additive in case I’m called up for the Worlds in 2019*. When I tried it one weekend found the car wasn’t consistent and had more issues getting the tyres dried and “switched on” (however sure that this is something I’d resolve with practise!).

General thoughts appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
JBSpeed

*May not be realistic. :-)
Most of the guys in Italy all run MR33. Yes it’s ok for foam. You can do it without the machine but you need to apply the additive the day before and put the tires in a zip lock bag.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Not many use traction compound in GLARC Clint. During the big race, some do. The top guys. In 8th scale, when I used it, I didn't notice a big difference. Some say it acts like it lowers shores. e.g. using 35 shore tires acting like 32's. I wouldn't worry about it unless you run in the front pack in expert class.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Not many use traction compound in GLARC Clint. During the big race, some do. The top guys. In 8th scale, when I used it, I didn't notice a big difference. Some say it acts like it lowers shores. e.g. using 35 shore tires acting like 32's. I wouldn't worry about it unless you run in the front pack in expert class.
Yes thats exactly what additive does, soften the rubber/foam thus generating more traction.

Personally I am really not a fan of additive in 1/8. I think it isn't necessary and is very messy. A 1/8 foam car generates enough traction without additive. It also adds significant expense because you MUST have an additive application machine because simply just applying it like you would on a touring car rubber tire doesn't work as the additive needs to be pressed into the foam completely. snuvet75 perhaps thats why when you tried it before you couldn't tell much difference.

All of these negatives led to it being banned in most of the world. As I mentioned all the International races and bigger european races which you will see online such as ENS also banned additive and moved to a controlled tire which is a much better solution than additive!

If anything it is far better to treat the track with sugar water/coke than use additive on the tires.
davidl likes this.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Most of the additives used in 1/8th do not actually 'soften' the rubber compound as such. (unlike the wintergreen based ones)

They lubricate the internal 'friction' of the foam and allow it to deform quicker and a bit more. (to conform to the shape of the surface basically)
This is why so many different products have a similar effect- some just better than others with respect to the drying near the surface.

This increases the contact area on the track surface and allows more aggressive loading of the tyre.

You only need an applicator machine with certain additives.
It is less than half the cost of a motor and lasts forever. (The machine is basically just a labour saving device anyway)

The application is less messy than oiling an air filter- unless you are doing it wrong.

Because the tyres slide around less, their life will actually be improved if you race on tracks that do not have a high grip groove (black racing line) where additive is not that beneficial.

Additives were not 'banned' as they have never been legal for 1/8th in most of the world.
The reason they went to a 'control' tyre is that additives are not easily detectable at scrutineering.

Not for the reasons mentioned.

To give you an idea of how ridiculous the rule is- the oil fumes from the exhaust on the rear tyre makes them all 'illegal'

They claim a 'control' tyre creates a level playing field, but team/connected drivers can arrive with custom suspension and chassis parts or
engines with porting and head buttons to suit the track/altitude/temp etc.that are not available to everyone.

It is an idiotic archaic rule kept in place by dinosaurs and vested interests.

A quick glance at the 'voters' on the rules at the AGM will be self explanatory.

They do not want others to find something that may negate the advantage they have with the 'special' chassis and engine bits.

All the objections to additives are baseless when looking at the facts.

P.S. The electric classes have always used additives on foam and rubber tyres without any problems and are very successful classes.
nitrodude and James73 like this.

Last edited by JTeamtech; 11-05-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think the best way to use the compound is this. I struggled with this earlier in the year as my first year saucing in nitro. About a week before the race, cut your tires, I usually cut a couple sets for practice, one for each qualifier and a larger set or 2 for the main. Run each set on the machine for 30-45 minutes. Put each set in their own ziplock bag and let them soak in the sun for 2-3 days. Let the condensation out of the bag each night. When you get to the track a week later, they should feel sticky, not slimy.

For sedan, I had to do a lot of setup changes due to the extra traction. For 8th, it wasn’t as drastic but some stiffening may be needed. Thicker rear sway bar and shock positions will probably be the first things to change.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Thanks for the 411 for GLARC just was wondering if some do if the track was loose or sprayed lightly.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I tried LG2 for the first time a few races ago and it made a huge difference for me, it was like the car was on a rail track, it was amazing! I just applied it by hand, 20 minutes before the race, it was a nit slippery for the 1st couple laps, but once it heated up it was great.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I tried LG2 for the first time a few races ago and it made a huge difference for me, it was like the car was on a rail track, it was amazing! I just applied it by hand, 20 minutes before the race, it was a nit slippery for the 1st couple laps, but once it heated up it was great.
All I know is I need all the help I can get
Old 11-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

20 minutes is not long enough for it to soak in. Chances are, it was slippery for a couple of laps and then it all wore off and then you were down to virgin foam and it was how it would’ve been with no compound at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.