R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Help tuning my redcat (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/997729-help-tuning-my-redcat.html)

Brad mackinnon 09-12-2017 01:53 PM

Help tuning my redcat

Could someone please give me some advice on how to tune my redcat earthquake 3.5 it runs and idles just fine but as soon as give it a little bit of throttle it dies i bought it used from one of my LHS but it just wont drive if anyone has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Brad :)

TrespasseR_MN 09-12-2017 04:44 PM

if you have it sitting too long and you pin it right away it could die on you as it has alot of fuel to burn up. Idk redcat motors but make sure it has smoke, not chugging like a chimney but light smoke when its reving on the box. again idk redcat but factory settings seem to be flush with the LS/HS needles.

RCTecher12 09-14-2017 11:40 PM

When an engine quits, pay attention to how it quits. An abrupt stop means it's lean somewhere. Where in the throttle range it happens determines which needle to adjust. An slow and stuttery stop means it rich and loaded up. Consider the idle needle the one that controls idle mixture and the first 30% of the throttle range off idle. You want this needle set such that it slightly loads up at idle if left idling for 15 seconds or so. When you throttle up, it should clean out fairly quickly and easily and not flameout. If it flames out, you're a tick or two to rich. If you drive at 1/4-1/3 throttle for say 15 seconds and punch it and it burbles a bit and takes a second to clear out (smokey), your idle is still too rich. Set your high speed for absolute best and cleanest (highest revving) sound when the tank is near empty so when the tank is full it's kinda rich and a little smokier.

Redcat uses SH Engines. I've used many SH engines over the years - fairly decent RTR engines. Sometimes a bit finicky, but if you use a quality fuel and good glow plugs, they run pretty good. Race engine they aren't (for the most part), but good basher engines they are, I feel. Fuel with 10-12% oil (castor/synth blend is best) and 20-25% nitro works well. I like Picco P6S plugs for the standard plug engines. They're the best standard plug I've used to date. Hot glow plugs usually cause more problems than they're worth unless you're a very good tuner (generally).

CaribbeanPirate 09-21-2017 02:25 PM

Sell it and get something good, Redcats are the worst

RCTecher12 09-21-2017 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by CaribbeanPirate (Post 15035473)
Sell it and get something good, Redcats are the worst

How is this helpful? Everyone has to start somewhere!

Brad mackinnon 09-25-2017 09:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the help i replaced the glow plug and it runs and drives now i just have to tune it