• 1 Post By mlax
  • 2 Post By dan_vector
  • 1 Post By tysonsk

Lessons from a Nitro Noob

Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Lessons from a Nitro Noob

I literally just started with Nitro a few weeks ago and I got a lot of help here in the forum so I wanted to give back:

1) If you buy a used Mugen starter box, make sure that the battery leads are the right way around so the wheel spins COUNTER-Clockwise. You don't want to end up wondering why that freakin' engine isn't starting even thou you've perfectly prepped everything.

2) Get someone to help you tune the engine coz you are lost no matter how much you read. Took me an hour to get anywhere, took him 10 minutes to tune it perfectly.

3) Bring a charger for the starter box battery - especially on your first day - or bring multiple batteries

4) Don't use Savox servos. (unless you want to go straight in a corner). lol j/k but yeah, I will not use them again, ever.

5) Bring workshop towels coz Nitro is a lot messier than E-Buggy

6) Buy stuff from your local hobby shop. Honestly these guys are always there to help and do it free of charge. At least buy your fuel, filters, tires and other "perishables" there so they can continue to provide this great service.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mlax View Post
4) Don't use Savox servos. (unless you want to go straight in a corner). lol j/k but yeah, I will not use them again, ever.
I think you have to change this into: Alway check your endpoints if you do not want to damage your servo's.
token, NitroVein and Goof like this.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

I dont agree with the hate for Savox. I've been using them for 3 years, I'm yet to replace any from failure. In fact, I'm yet to replace any, period!

Don't let one bad egg ruin your perception of a brand. I'm sure plenty of people can list brands they've had probs with!
token likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I agree, no way I would write off savox servos. I’ve used and abused them from the cheapest to the most expensive and they are noisy but extremely reliable. Protek on the other hand I would write off. I’ve had 130’s, 150’s, and 170’s and all but 2 out of 6 have failed and done so with a quickness. All get the violent centering jitters.
token likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slodsm View Post
I agree, no way I would write off savox servos. Iíve used and abused them from the cheapest to the most expensive and they are noisy but extremely reliable. Protek on the other hand I would write off. Iíve had 130ís, 150ís, and 170ís and all but 2 out of 6 have failed and done so with a quickness. All get the violent centering jitters.
i'm right there with ya, protek so far has been nothing but a pretty case, junk servos...Savox will be my next choice.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I agree, no way I would write off savox servos. Iíve used and abused them from the cheapest to the most expensive and they are noisy but extremely reliable. Protek on the other hand I would write off. Iíve had 130ís, 150ís, and 170ís and all but 2 out of 6 have failed and done so with a quickness. All get the violent centering jitters.
See, this is how different perception can be. I've been using a 170SBL in two electric buggy's since about 14 months without any issue what so ever. In comparison, now two Savox, one 2274 and one 1258 went bad on me. And yes, I might be new to Nitro but I can set EPA and Subtrim.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Only reason why I would bash Protek servos is because i've also had them fail all during A-mains...only steering and like said above, all get the jitters. But these are ONLY ran once a month for out series races and no more..so when u think about it we have 5 or 6 races a year..that's it. I've done the 130T,150's,now 150T only to have fail one me the first time I used it...tbh i've heard nothing but good things from savox, and learning my lesson on Protek servos.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I also just wanna point out that I wasn't entirely serious with "bashing" savox. It's just my experience, not a general statement but I can see how it can read like that.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've had several savox servos fail in Offroad. I've ran them in nitro onroad and they've been okay. Upshot is i would never recommend them for offroad use just not reliable enough.

Seem ok in onroad applications. Sanwa SRG-BX'S are a much better choice for offroad. Got 2 seasons out my SRG-BX servos and still going strong. Got less than an hour out of the first savox I used offroad. I am a strong believer in that you get what you pay for. I'd rather save up for an extra month or whatever and buy a Sanwa and be confident it'll not fail on me at a bad time!

So I agree with the OP I would never consider Savox in an offroad application. My experience of the servos others may differ but I'm confident I'm not alone in my thoughts.
stanleyw808 and Goof like this.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Been using Savox servos for YEARs in offroad and rarely have issues, when I do have issues, its from the servo Ive been using for years. Running off road, people MUST by the right servos for the application.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

7) Buy an air compressor haha.
vbshredder likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ive been using pretty much the entire protek servo line in all my vehicles for the last year with only one failure which they replaced immediately....I drive several times a week so they all have allot of time on them..use 100s in my 1/10 buggy, 130ss in my stadium truck, 150T's in my truggy and 170s/170tbl in my buggy and all have been awesome..actually just ordered another 100s today...If you bought them new hopefully you warrantied them..
Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Make sure your Rx/Tx batteries are fully charged, fail safe is set correctly (not backwards) and have a spring or elastic on your throttle linkage. Most don't take this series until they have their first run away
Old 10-04-2017, 02:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wydopen View Post
Ive been using pretty much the entire protek servo line in all my vehicles for the last year with only one failure which they replaced immediately....I drive several times a week so they all have allot of time on them..use 100s in my 1/10 buggy, 130ss in my stadium truck, 150T's in my truggy and 170s/170tbl in my buggy and all have been awesome..actually just ordered another 100s today...If you bought them new hopefully you warrantied them..
Yes I warranties them for store credit. It sucks because I lost all confidence in them with 3 failing so close together. I still have some others and they are going strong. The good ones are great, Iím just scared to try to get more good ones lol. Honestly I feel theyíre better than competing savox BUT Iíve never had a savox fail and so I like the confidence I have in them.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

1) ...yes the motor can run in the opposite direction LOL

once you get the hang of it, you wont miss the ebuggy, and it's not as clean as the ebuggy but not nearly as messy as it right now when we're learning.

And i'll save you some money ... 1. after every few runs, check the bottom motor screws, us newb's occasionally don't tighten them quite as tight and they will loosen up. (expensive lesson)... also after every other run or so, check the bearings in the clutch bell and clutch. we like to pretend there's not as much maintenance as an ebuggy but it's just slightly more plus we don't always shim perfectly and those bearings will fail.