Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Help identifying HPI monster truck model? >

Help identifying HPI monster truck model?

Help identifying HPI monster truck model?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Help identifying HPI monster truck model?

2,5 years ago I got this used nitro monster truck in a package deal. I've been going back and forth whether to sell it or not... mainly because of fuel cost and difficulty transporting it to some decent place to drive at (I don't have a 1:1 car), so it's been sitting unused since I got it. But whether I sell it or not, it'd be nice to know the exact model, the previous owner didn't know and I haven't been able to figure it out as the Savage lineup looks rather similar (except for the X having the X in the vertical metal side plates). Closest I can figure would be Savage 25, but some of the colors are still off so I'm not sure. I don't know how many aftermarket part changes there may be, either.

At the top of the motor head(?) it reads Nova Race Pro HPI 4.6. I think this may be an aftermarket upgrade? None of the kits seem to have a "bare metal" motor head, and that goes for the exhaust pipe too. The truck also has a rotostart system. The electronics were all HPI branded, with an RF-2 receiver, SF-1 throttle servo and presumably SF-2 steering servo (why such a pathetically weak servo in a monster truck, I've no idea).

Finally, the pics:

I forgot to put on the battery cover/receiver platform thingies for the pics.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

That is an HPI Savage, it is a long time delivered model in several configurationes.

The engine looks like the original but with a Nova cooling head
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks like an old savage to me
Old 09-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, yes, I know it is a Savage, I said as much (aren't all HPI monster trucks Savages anyway?) but I'm wondering about the exact model

I've never driven a nitro car, I was supposed to do a short test yesterday with the help of another driver (who could've advised me as well as lent the use of a glow starter which I do not own) but instead had to go the hospital because of my back The prospect has given me an urge to try the car properly, but even just smaller can of nitro plus a glow starter would cost about 40, and I'm trying to get the money for an M-chassis onroad racer for the winter season. But even if I were to sell this thing, it's kinda difficult in that I can't promise it'll work since I haven't used it - previous user didn't either, so it's on the word of the owner before him

Although I kinda did just order a cheap but stronger 20kg-cm servo that'd go well with this truck, together with a servo for the M-chassis car...
Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

it looks to be an original savage .21
Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm... if it is I guess it's been rather upgraded, given the rotostart and apparently 4.6 engine (based on the text on the cooling head). Of course if/since it is a very old model, it makes sense that it has had parts swapped along the way. It seems a bit hard to find good detailed good resolution pics with the body off of the 21 to compare. But from what I've seen, the 25 seems very similar to the 21, being the "next model in line", so I'm not sure how to tell them apart externally especially since the exhaust and motor (and/or motor head) have been apparently changed.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

.21 and .25 were almost identicle but the .25 had black springs from what i can remember(i had a .25ss back in 2003ish).
The tvp chassis plates appear to be the short wheelbase and not the longer wheelbase of the x4.6.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well from specs comparisons I found, the 25 had a different engine (as indicated by the numerical) with the rotostart, that being the biggest difference. I guess I'd have to make sure which engine it has, but I'd rather not start disassembling the vehicle just to get a proper look. But since the cooling head says 4.6, the engine doesn't appear to be the original at any rate, since the 25's S-25 is a 4.1cc engine, and the 21's BB21 is 3.44cc. At least I assume the cooling head should match the motor cc? I'm really rather clueless about these nitro things

But overall, since it would appear that at least the engine, air filter, springs and exhaust pipe have been upgraded, it may not be possible to tell whether it was a 21 or 25. Hmm. Well, I guess it's not the end of the world, just would've been nice to know.