Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro Engine Selection >

Nitro Engine Selection

Like Tree2Likes

Nitro Engine Selection

Old 08-23-2017, 08:42 AM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (118)
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,830
Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default Nitro Engine Selection

So I've been a long time Alpha Engine supporter, and this season I decided to try some Novarossi engines instead. I've got a Novarossi Drake for my Truggy (bought brand new) and a Novarossi 21-4 (forget which flavor) for Buggy.

Coming from the Alpha Engine line....I find myself yearning for more low to mid-range power out of these Nova engines. I much prefer an engine with a bunch of low end power, and a good meaty mid-range. Top end power is not my preference. I'd rather lose a little coming down the straight and gain it in the infield sections of the track really.

Anyone have any good suggestions here for engines with low to mid power curve? I've tried a few different pipes on both of these Novas...and while they run absolutely amazing....I'm just not digging the power curve. It hinders my driving big time. I've tried adapting to it, but they are still just a little bit on the soft side for MY taste. I know a lot of guys love smooth power...but I guess my motocross background lends itself to a more explosive feel.

I hear the Reds stuff is great for this type of power, but have not tried one as of yet.

I really have no brand loyalty here since I have no engine sponsor at the moment. So open to really any good consistent engine company.

Any of you Nova guys...if you have any ideas on how to make these Novas sing a little better, I'm all ears as well! Like I said...they run AMAZING! This Drake has yet to flame out since it's been new, but the tune has been inconsistent thus far for me. They do tune a bit different from the Alpha's I'm used to...so it's probably just me causing the problems though. lol
MotoGod is offline  
Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 PM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Belleville Il.
Posts: 484
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Once you go Reds you wont look back. Yes, the plugs are considerably more but you pay for what you get. My experience with the recent Nova line hasn't been the best. Quality has taken a slump and (IMO) Nova isn't the "powerhouse" that they used to be 10 years ago. Reds are top of the line in everything and have suited my racing needs perfectly. I'm not sponsored by them, I just stand by their product.

On the other hand, you can not go wrong with OS! They continue to produce some great stuff as well.
MotoGod likes this.
thercpr0 is offline  
Old 08-23-2017, 07:57 PM
  #3  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (95)
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America & Europe
Posts: 5,579
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default

REDS, Triton, RC Concept (all Picco based) will deliver. As stated so will OS. Most important will be your header and pipe pairings of course with all the above.

For the Price, Triton and RC concept are a huge Value. Have not tried the new Picco DLC crank models yet.
brokenmoto likes this.
1/8 IC Fan is offline  
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 PM
  #4  
Tech Adept
 
Cant drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 144
Default

What pipe and header are you running with the novas?
Cant drive is offline  
Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 PM
  #5  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 434
Default

For a lot of low range power for the Truggy, go with the WERKS B5 Pro II and the 2013 pipe. Nothing that has more torque than this engine....

For Buggy, if you are on a short track, then the good old B2 is an awesome engine with looooots of torque if you are not looking for top speed. The B6 is considerably smoother than the B2 easier to drive, as it has less torque. For buggy, go with the 2058 pipe.
thommi is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 03:32 AM
  #6  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (33)
 
slodsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Posts: 548
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I’ve yet to be pulled down the track by ANY motor out there from OS speed to werks to protek etc etc with my reds R7 and it’s the “smooth” version of the reds line up. Apparently the R5T is even more brutal on the low end.

They remind me of the old nasty RB Concepts C5’s that were just stupidly powerful. I use a reds 2104 pipe and a reds 4shoe clutch setup and if it doesn’t give you the power you’re looking for I’m not sure what else will.
slodsm is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (118)
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,830
Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cant drive View Post
What pipe and header are you running with the novas?
I want to say it's the 41001 header on a 9901 pipe. I tried my Alpha 0801 pipe on it as well (in Buggy) and it did wake it up a little...but not as much as I had hoped. It could be the 41021 header though...I'll double check when I get home.
MotoGod is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (118)
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,830
Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thommi View Post
For a lot of low range power for the Truggy, go with the WERKS B5 Pro II and the 2013 pipe. Nothing that has more torque than this engine....

For Buggy, if you are on a short track, then the good old B2 is an awesome engine with looooots of torque if you are not looking for top speed. The B6 is considerably smoother than the B2 easier to drive, as it has less torque. For buggy, go with the 2058 pipe.
I ran Werks engines a handful of years ago and while they were great on power...I had nothing but issues with them after the 2-3 gallon mark. So I have yet to run them again since.
MotoGod is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 09:27 AM
  #9  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (118)
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,830
Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thercpr0 View Post
Once you go Reds you wont look back. Yes, the plugs are considerably more but you pay for what you get. My experience with the recent Nova line hasn't been the best. Quality has taken a slump and (IMO) Nova isn't the "powerhouse" that they used to be 10 years ago. Reds are top of the line in everything and have suited my racing needs perfectly. I'm not sponsored by them, I just stand by their product.

On the other hand, you can not go wrong with OS! They continue to produce some great stuff as well.
I have heard nothing but great reviews of the Reds stuff. I ran some old Mario Rossi stuff back in the day and it was fantastic. Maybe I'll have to give one a try and see what the new stuff is like. I think the Alpha engines spoiled me as far as raw power goes. lol They just weren't as consistent as I need. Too many DNFs and crap after awhile I just gave up....
MotoGod is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 PM
  #10  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portugal
Posts: 218
Default

Novarossi Paloma 7
Pedro Jesus is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 PM
  #11  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 56
Default

Been trying a lot of engines and the ones I like the most are O.S. based engines and REDS. Prefer the Reds R5 over R7. Right now I drive a Bullitt and it's fantastic.

Haven't had the same luck with Orion, Alpha and FX.
Ayreon is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 02:34 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 434
Default

Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
I ran Werks engines a handful of years ago and while they were great on power...I had nothing but issues with them after the 2-3 gallon mark. So I have yet to run them again since.
Try them again... I have engines I ran for up to 7 gallons without even opening them... The B7KE with the harder piston material is undestroyable. My current B7 engines is over a year old now, and I used this engine in about 7 or 8 state championship races. Not even the conrod changed, no pinch, nothing, and compression is simply great still.
thommi is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 02:38 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 434
Default

Originally Posted by slodsm View Post
Iíve yet to be pulled down the track by ANY motor out there from OS speed to werks to protek etc etc with my reds R7 and itís the ďsmoothĒ version of the reds line up. Apparently the R5T is even more brutal on the low end.

They remind me of the old nasty RB Concepts C5ís that were just stupidly powerful. I use a reds 2104 pipe and a reds 4shoe clutch setup and if it doesnít give you the power youíre looking for Iím not sure what else will.
I have been running REDS engines before switching to WERKS, and REDS has a very good engine line up. I ran the R5R, R5T and the R7. I have found the REDS engines to be very similar in terms of performance with the WERKS engines, and both WERKS with Ron and REDS with Mario and Marco have very passionate people behind their engines.
thommi is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 03:19 PM
  #14  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (95)
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America & Europe
Posts: 5,579
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
Been trying a lot of engines and the ones I like the most are O.S. based engines and REDS. Prefer the Reds R5 over R7. Right now I drive a Bullitt and it's fantastic.

Haven't had the same luck with Orion, Alpha and FX.
Yes, stay away from Orion at any cost!!! If even just for their lack of Support in the US.
1/8 IC Fan is offline  
Old 08-24-2017, 06:15 PM
  #15  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 297
Default

reds or Os engines here
segreda is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.