• 1 Post By E1 Diablo
  • 1 Post By AHR43
  • 1 Post By E1 Diablo

Practice - Best time at the track

Old 08-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Practice - Best time at the track

This is not another how do I practice thread. This thread is about having a good time practicing with your friends at the track.

Nothing beats the wheel time you get at the track on an off race day. Three times the track time in 1/3 the time of a race day. Get a friend or two to bring their buggies and "race" five lap races with you. Do that for a fuel bottle or two and you've got a ton of track time in a short duration of time.

It's not like practicing on a raceday. You're not standing in line to practice. You're not getting kicked off the stand five minutes later. You don't have to get back in line. You're not elbowing people for space on the driver's stand. You run for ten minutes get off the stand, fill up the tank, and have at it again!

Practice. Have fun with RC again.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

I guess I'm saying three makes a class race days and big races you don't get enough wheel time for the duration of time you're at a track. Nitro is great because you can practice for 45 minutes straight on a practice day.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that would be nice if i had a track that was opened on non race days
Old 08-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

I did that for almost every day during two years. For various reasons, first because I was testing my theories and what I've learnt during the late night web surfing. Second because I have half a dozen of buggies and i needed as much data I could get.
Practise with a reason. Try the best driving lines, setup, equipment changes and so on. Learn the track, how it changes, where's the grip, how aggressive you need to be, how to save fuel/tires, etc...
Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

my track is open 7 days a week, weather permitting. I like to go during the week and I usually have the track to myself.

If I cant get to the track, I hit the local baseball field. I have a few dozen concave corner markers that I can put down to lay out a make shift course. Its not the same surface/setups but I get valuable wheel time. And its only 5 minutes from my house :-)
AHR43 likes this.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
I did that for almost every day during two years. For various reasons, first because I was testing my theories and what I've learnt during the late night web surfing. Second because I have half a dozen of buggies and i needed as much data I could get.
Practise with a reason. Try the best driving lines, setup, equipment changes and so on. Learn the track, how it changes, where's the grip, how aggressive you need to be, how to save fuel/tires, etc...
The fun is in the science for you. That's fine to use your practice that way.

The fun for me is in the wheel time racing with friends. This is a race forum. That's what I like to do; race. I question whether five lap impromptu races would fall in the category of bashing. However, three makes a class racing or spending several hundred dollars on race fees and hotels for less than an hour track time is absurd. Make RC Fun again! Practice at your local track with your RC bros.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

^^^agreed. Race days can be overcrowded.

Good for the track to keep it maintained and open but not sooo good for those that don't like the crowds lol
Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry, misunderstood that.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'll share my practice routine. Though it's not that extensive lol.

My first goal is to show up as early as possible to get a good pit spot. After that I setup my goods and hop on the track for the first pack. Which, depending on who watered the track that morning, is an ice skating rink the first hour. So I'm not going balls out initially. Not usually until mid day.

But unfortunately I don't have close friends who are RC nuts so I don't often get to do those fun five lap quickies. But I i like to stay behind another driver that's close to my skill level and attempt to maintain a distance. I feel like this helps me control myself and also helps me avoid unnecessary collisions lol
Old 08-15-2017, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trophies follow those who practice 🏆
Old 08-15-2017, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

My practice sessions are along the lines of the OP. One thing I like about a singular practice session is I can listen to my nitro engine on the track. It is special when it is "on song"; and also is a helpful tuning aid when it isn't.
Evoking1230 likes this.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AHR43
My practice sessions are along the lines of the OP. One thing I like about a singular practice session is I can listen to my nitro engine on the track. It is special when it is "on song"; and also is a helpful tuning aid when it isn't.
Good point. It's hard for me to hear my engine when the track is open for practice on a raceday. Makes it very hard for me to feel comfortable with tuning. My local track is covered with a metal roof that reverberates the exhaust sound.

I do some tuning while practicing. Tuning is important and rewarding, but not fun.
AHR43 likes this.