Looking for help is this the place?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By EbbTide
  • 1 Post By racingnewb
  • 1 Post By TeamSkunkwerks

Looking for help is this the place?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Looking for help is this the place?

Hi I am new to these forums, and to Nitro trucks i have acquired an HPI Racing Savage 25 the owner had put a piston and sleeve in it ran it awhile then put it up for 8 years. here is my problem the pull string breaks after 5 to 10 pulls.the motor is free it spins over no problem. i even put a new pull start on it and again it broke after just a few pulls. i really like this old vintage truck and want to make it work again. any ideas as to why the pull start breaks. if this is posted in the wrong place please direct me to the correct one.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zep71
Hi I am new to these forums, and to Nitro trucks i have acquired an HPI Racing Savage 25 the owner had put a piston and sleeve in it ran it awhile then put it up for 8 years. here is my problem the pull string breaks after 5 to 10 pulls.the motor is free it spins over no problem. i even put a new pull start on it and again it broke after just a few pulls. i really like this old vintage truck and want to make it work again. any ideas as to why the pull start breaks. if this is posted in the wrong place please direct me to the correct one.
It could be getting yanked too far. When I had nitro I wouldn't pull it far enough to lock the pull start. Short, quick pulls.
Zep71 likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Heating the engine up will help, engine heater or a heat gun. As stated above don't pull it out all the way, just 6 inches or so.
Zep71 likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Arrow Tiger Drive

Or..........
You could buy a roto-start system & not have to worry about pulling the starter string out too far. Here's a link to Tiger Drive that might help. I'm guessing you need the 6mm. I believe it's the 1st one listed.
TigerDrive
As others have mentioned, just use short quick pulls when you are trying to start. Might also check to see if the backplate has an edge or a point where the starter cord is rubbing against or catching.
Zep71 likes this.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you very Much i will look into Roto starter