Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BMOC
  • 1 Post By HaulinBass

First nitro engine

Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default First nitro engine

Hi I'm in the market of buying my first ever nitro engine for my D8t truggy that I'm currently building which engine would be the most user friendly and durable money is not factor..The truggy would only be used on the track
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

novarossi is probably your best bet for price/quality. i ran a p5 when i first started and that motor was a brute, even with my noob tuning abilities. no idea how many gallons i put through that thing but it never quit on me
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
novarossi is probably your best bet for price/quality. i ran a p5 when i first started and that motor was a brute, even with my noob tuning abilities. no idea how many gallons i put through that thing but it never quit on me
I'm really considering novarossi p5 really good reviews 👍🏻 What's the main difference p5 and os engine spec 3 big difference on pricing is really more durable or else can be difference? Thanks I
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

The P5 is a great motor to learn on and race. The OS is a high end racing engine.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Welcome to NOVAROSSI DIRECT USA - We have the ABSOLUTE lowest prices to get you in the AMAIN Nova ELite P5 $118.00 CANT GO WRONG.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Hang on. As you may know, older P5 (or other Novas) are not the same as the new ones (in terms of materials, not geometries). Now, none of novas (or alphas, reds...whatever) are built to last.

Original P5 and Rb Ws7 III were my favourite engines by far. Now I`m running high end OS and REDS and I can ensure that they won`t last the same.

Nevertheless its a good choice, but try to ask to somebody who uses this motor but in the current version.

Regards.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A great nova for truck is the Rex Paloma limited. Orange head version.

If this is your first go at nitro, be prepared to roast one or two before you get the handle on tuning. Don't let it affect your judgement on the engines quality regardless of what brand engine you end up staring with. Any engine, good or bad, will not last if not tuned properly.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

P5 XLT is a beast!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

My first mill was a dynamite mach2 and it was and still is great. I think i paid $150 for the motor and pipe. It holds a tune really well with plenty of power. the other guys around the track are always suprised when i tell them what im running cause its not slow down the straight. Ive ran 4 gallons with no issues.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

This is my personal opinion for your first nitro engine.
Novarossi P5XL
Novarossi Elite5 OFF
Excellent price...
Old 07-29-2017, 04:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WERKS B5 Standard or Pro. A true truggy BEAST. Easy to tune, equal to engines that cost 2 and 3 times as much, AWESOME customer service not to mention RELENTLESS tech here on the forums from Werks Ron himself. That is a hard to beat total package IMO...
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iksam View Post
Hang on. As you may know, older P5 (or other Novas) are not the same as the new ones (in terms of materials, not geometries). Now, none of novas (or alphas, reds...whatever) are built to last.
My ten plus gallon keep off 4 begs to differ with you.or my paloma ltd that after 7 gallons lost an airfilter got cleaned out and still ran a 45 minute a main. I know another racer in alberta with almost 20 gallons through a mito and the motor still runs strong.
Its okay to like another engine brand better but dont make up stuff to suit your narrative.
Novas are cheaper because they are mostly older designs that have been around for almost 20 years in the case of the p5. The newer novas(mitos,virtus, mantra,rolling) have a higher price that reflects the new tooling needed to make these motors but even the price is coming down on those as they get into the second and third generations of that design.
Os is constantly retooling the motors so you only get to see the price drop when they make motors for other companies as they are using the older tooling. Look at the samurai its basicly the speed vspec a motor from 2006 its significantly cheaper that the os branded motors. Why because the tooling was all paid for long ago so they can cut the price and keep the same profit margins.
kaptain crash likes this.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
My ten plus gallon keep off 4 begs to differ with you.or my paloma ltd that after 7 gallons lost an airfilter got cleaned out and still ran a 45 minute a main. I know another racer in alberta with almost 20 gallons through a mito and the motor still runs strong.
Its okay to like another engine brand better but dont make up stuff to suit your narrative.
Novas are cheaper because they are mostly older designs that have been around for almost 20 years in the case of the p5. The newer novas(mitos,virtus, mantra,rolling) have a higher price that reflects the new tooling needed to make these motors but even the price is coming down on those as they get into the second and third generations of that design.
Os is constantly retooling the motors so you only get to see the price drop when they make motors for other companies as they are using the older tooling. Look at the samurai its basicly the speed vspec a motor from 2006 its significantly cheaper that the os branded motors. Why because the tooling was all paid for long ago so they can cut the price and keep the same profit margins.
I bet you to make a proper Rockwell test to the old and new sleeves, and they are not the same. (same thing in other brands)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 AM
DGP
Tech Initiate

Like yourself we started just a couple of seasons ago. To keep costs down for myself and my 2 boys I brought Taiwanese engines. They ran well but did not last all that well. P/C/R replacements were cheap so rebuilt them but in the end they all died and 2 with broken rods.
Changed to the Nova P5 for pretty much the same price and I have never looked back. These things last! I do have a couple of OS Spec 2 and yes they are better no doubt. But I have 4 Novas 3 of them P5. Bang for buck is fantastic and certainly take the pain out of the sport when starting out.
I now recommend the P5 to anyone starting out. Pretty decent power too.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iksam View Post
I bet you to make a proper Rockwell test to the old and new sleeves, and they are not the same. (same thing in other brands)
That would make sence if novarossi wasnt selling a pile of engines that are made of old parts. The paloma ltd, karma, all the live range and eltie 5 are all moade from old parts that have been sitting around forever.