Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Good starting nitro? >

Good starting nitro?

Good starting nitro?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good starting nitro?

I'm slightly new to rc, but would like to start getting into nitro. Does anyone have any recomendations on a good starter nitro vehicle?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Depends on:

Budget
Do you want to build or already put together
Type (buggy, truggy, stadium truck, etc)
Old 07-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default Starter

tmaxx or revo made by traxxas is what a lot of people start with. They sell them at most any hobby shop and come ready to run. If you plan on racing a rtr losi 8 would be a good pick. Or look for good used ones on here. Be sure you check feedback and you can save some money.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks! As for a budget, probably under $400, as I'll be bashing and the ocassional race.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Cant go wrong with a revo.

If you choose to go with the Losi 8IGHT RTR, I have a thread thats in an in depth review if you want an unbiased opinion from someone who had left the hobby and came back after 10+ years :-)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
Cant go wrong with a revo.

If you choose to go with the Losi 8IGHT RTR, I have a thread thats in an in depth review if you want an unbiased opinion from someone who had left the hobby and came back after 10+ years :-)
You got my curiosity - where's this thread?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Its on the main page of this sub-forum :-P

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...2016-17-a.html
Old 07-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bashing and occasional racing, under 400 budget. gonna say pick yourself up a used truggy off here. any model would be fine. whatever you prefer. Losi, mugen, tekno, associated, etc
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would be more geared toward a buggy. They're more forgiving and tires are cheaper. And buying used is a crap shoot. Not everybody is honest. If you have a local hobby shop let them know what your're looking for. Maybe they know someone that has a used one for sale and you can see it first hand. They can also fill you in with knowledge and parts.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You should give the for sale threads a try, I've seen solid losi 8 4.0 deals $250 comes with some parts. I have been around the block, best way in for cheap is used and you can get far better stuff from a solid used deal you find on here or even checking ebay. I tend to be a losi fan so I check out alot of stuff based on that platform and eBay has insane stuff, kits taken apart and sold bulk for cheap, a complete diff with rear diff bulkheads pinions and lightweight outdrives for 30 bucks, chassis for 30 bucks I mean I kick myself coming into the hobby n paying top dollar on stuff when I know where to get it cheap. I got (on here) a Ninja bo1a that had no scratches on it n the engine brand new inside n picked it up for 75 bucks, brand new hitec 7950 servos for under 70 bucks. Obviously the deals are hard to find but don't pass it up when they pop up. There's a OS speed 2102 for 250 posted up that has no scratches on it n is prime in the sale forums. Ask questions n make sure it's guaranteed by the owner to be in fairly brand new shape as advertised n there you go. 400 isn't going to get you top of the line used stuff but you can start building it right if you get what's quality when it pops up. Nitro is all about quality, a temperamental engine is the worst so make sure your power plant is your main focus because my cars stay together n don't worry me, it's just engines that can make a bad day. I tried alpha and even novas and all the LM based engines, only OS has been easy for me to tune, the LM engines are also great but no dlc coated cranks n same with nova. Start right, hopefully you can learn the easy side of tuning an engine cause nitro is in my opinion the most fun. Good luck with your picks, if you ever wanna message me n look for something solid I will steer you in a good direction