Like Tree35Likes

X-ray XT8

Old 07-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Whilst I imagine the focus will be on the new XT9, there's lots I really like about the XT8. I really like the UJ driveshafts, the long-stroke big bore shocks and weight forward chassis.

It's interesting to see how few pages this thread is compared to other Truggies on the forums. I can only assume that people have far less issues with the XT8 thus less need to discuss anything! Lol
Im no Xray expert but the xt8.2 is the current truggy that just came out or I should say updated roughly a month ago. I wouldn’t expect a xt9 for quite some time. I picked one up since it will be awhile before the new kyosho truggy is released and I’ll have to say I think it handles great... but for a luxury vehicle I find that Phillips head screws not to be so luxury.
Horatio and I_NeedBigDrink like this.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There was already an XT9 (and XB9), back in 2012-2013. They realised the naming scheme would be a mistake and switched back to XT8 (with plain year models, until this latest one).
Overall I think Xray build/parts quality is 2nd to none, and the '17 truck was pretty well sorted which explains why very little changes for the 8.2.

There are a few little bugs to iron out as with any kit, I agree with the shaft/brace clearance, those parts will rub on the XB8 buggy too if left unmodified.
Always wondered why the coarse threads were philips too, not that it really matters or bothers me but would be nice in allen head.

The other little thing I dislike is the shock boots, the holes just let dust in which scratch up the shafts quickly, I've been using MBX8 "long" ones instead on the XB8, I might try them on the XT8 or maybe there's something longer from the MBX8T. They long ones definitely fit the front of the XT8 at least. I'd still take the XT8 over the MBX8T on the whole personally though because tiny diff pinion bearings suck (especially with the small 10T truggy pinions), and on the MBX8/MBX8T they switched to small ones.

Just nitpicking though. That build looks really nice Horatio.
I'm putting together an XT8E slowly, will share progress soon.
Horatio likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team_Orange View Post

Im no Xray expert but the xt8.2 is the current truggy that just came out or I should say updated roughly a month ago. I wouldn’t expect a xt9 for quite some time. I picked one up since it will be awhile before the new kyosho truggy is released and I’ll have to say I think it handles great... but for a luxury vehicle I find that Phillips head screws not to be so luxury.
I saw XT9 variant truggies on the Xray site with carbon shock towers and a more rear-wards position for the engine - I just assumed (incorrectly by the looks of things!) that it it was a newer version lol!

As it stands, I'm finding it hard to figure out how I bought mine for 50% off. £295 rather than £590 from MB Models! Bargain. And free shipping.

My kit had all hex headed screws. Which cross headed ones did you have?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by uDi_MP7.5 View Post
There was already an XT9 (and XB9), back in 2012-2013. They realised the naming scheme would be a mistake and switched back to XT8 (with plain year models, until this latest one).
Overall I think Xray build/parts quality is 2nd to none, and the '17 truck was pretty well sorted which explains why very little changes for the 8.2.
That explains it. I like the Hudy UJ' s, only the centre drive has the CVD's. I'm not sure I'd prefer CVD's all round on a Truggy. I reckon UJ's are burlier.

There are a few little bugs to iron out as with any kit, I agree with the shaft/brace clearance, those parts will rub on the XB8 buggy too if left unmodified.
Always wondered why the coarse threads were philips too, not that it really matters or bothers me but would be nice in allen head.
I can't think which screws are cross heads. I genuinely don't remember any! :/ I think the long screws that hold the Alloy suspension pivot eccentric bushes may be the only crosshead ones. They are a PITA, but I used my Dewalt for them rather than bugger up my fingers and turn the air blue.

The other little thing I dislike is the shock boots, the holes just let dust in which scratch up the shafts quickly, I've been using MBX8 "long" ones instead on the XB8, I might try them on the XT8 or maybe there's something longer from the MBX8T. They long ones definitely fit the front of the XT8 at
​​​​​​least.
Good to know. I haven't run mine yet, so I may order some in advance if they keep the shocks healthier. Cheers.

I'd still take the XT8 over the MBX8T on the whole personally though because tiny diff pinion bearings suck (especially with the small 10T truggy pinions), and on the MBX8/MBX8T they switched to small ones.
I agree that smaller bearings on 1/8th scale anything wear out quick. I'd take the hit on a little extra rotating mass for longivity and reliability every time - especially in a 30/45min main!

Just nitpicking though. That build looks really nice Horatio.
I'm putting together an XT8E slowly, will share progress soon.
Cheers! Looking forward to mounting a suitable engine. I'm thinking possibly a Nova Rossi 28 8. That should shift it! Lol.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

FastPete likes this.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

So whilst installing a nice shiny Novarossi 28 8, I decided to install the graphite top plate.

The Xray flywheel sits slightly too far forward on the cone supplied with the Legend 28 8. I'm hoping I can fettle the cone (without knackering it!) till the flywheel/clutch assembly fits with adequate for the clutch bell. At the moment, the clutch bell is too close to the end of the crank, but I'm sure there's a work around. I'll keep re-fitting the flywheel (using the flywheel puller for removal) and torque the nut right down each time. If that doesn't work, I'll have to grind the cone or buy a different one.

Shiny shiny....

Now the graphite steering top plate fits with 2 alloy shims, according to the note in the manual. Except that it doesn't! The servo saver and steering link assembly had waaay to much up/down slop with just the 2 small shims, so I needed 2 larger diameter - and thicker - shims to go around the little ones.

2 little shims on right, along with the bigger shims that needed to be drilled out to fit.

Plan view of steering posts with shims fitted.

Macro shot of the top of the post with graphite plate fitted. Plastic shavings are from the body, recently trimmed for the 28 8.

​​​​​​The graphite plate fits fine, provided shims are used beneath the small ones outlined in the manual. This is 100% essential, otherwise the steering posts can move up and down by approximately 1 yard! Further more, I could find no reference to any spacers or washers to take up the slack. On the standard composite item, the correct spacing is perfectly moulded in.

The washers I used needed to be drilled out to about 6.5mm, to fit the small shims.

Hope this helps anyone that likes woven carbon fibre as much as I do! 😜
Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
I saw XT9 variant truggies on the Xray site with carbon shock towers and a more rear-wards position for the engine - I just assumed (incorrectly by the looks of things!) that it it was a newer version lol!

As it stands, I'm finding it hard to figure out how I bought mine for 50% off. £295 rather than £590 from MB Models! Bargain. And free shipping.

My kit had all hex headed screws. Which cross headed ones did you have?
All the screws for the A,B,C,D plates attach to the bulkheads with Phillips head screws. They look like wood screws to be honest.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team_Orange View Post

All the screws for the A,B,C,D plates attach to the bulkheads with Phillips head screws. They look like wood screws to be honest.
Right, got ya'. I used the dewalt for anything that looked like it might cause blisters!