Like Tree95Likes

2017 DNC race

Reply

Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
  #121  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Big Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 677
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jepjepjep View Post
I like the idea of one Open class and one Sportsman class. Open class for the pros and serious racers, sportsman for the guys that just want to have a good time racing or don't have the time/money to keep up with the latest gear, etc.

It's a better time for all because Pros don't have to navigate around slower drivers as much and slowers guys don't have to worry about getting in the way/getting yelled at by the faster guys.

I think Master/40+/Legends should go away. This isn't motocross where physical limitations are important. If you are older and can't keep up with the experts/pros anymore then you can run sportsman.
I think Joey can run his race however he sees fit. If you or anyone else wants to do all the work he and his crew do then you can run it the way you want. Till then go, don't go, but showing some appreciation for all the hard work that goes into having one of the most successful and one of the biggest races in the world would be nice.
I'm not meaning to point this at you but my iPad wouldn't let not quote someone, sorry. I wanted "you" to be general in terms of the thread not pointed specifically at jep.
offroad dude, Frank L and Sinn1612 like this.
Big Will is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM
  #122  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (99)
 
hairymuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: moreno valley, ca
Posts: 3,032
Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default

Things are good how they are. Sportsman,intermediate,expert.
Just because you are deemed a pro driver,does not mean everything is free. Very few drivers are salary or 100%. 75% of the pro class at dnc, paid for everything out their own pockets. I agree with getting rid of 40+. There are a lot of fast +50 guys out there. Here in socal we run sprts,int and expert and 40+. I dont think thats too many classes except the 40 class.
Bad thing about intermediate is, some of these guys bounce back and forth to expert,depending on who appears at a race.

All the amain guys at dnc expert class are fast guys but lack confidence to run pro at big
races.
hairymuffin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:46 PM
  #123  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Townsville
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I think if they want to run 35+/legends w/e, do it at the start.

Like 2 practice rounds, while they are reseeding for qualifiying, race 35+/legends etc and get it out of the way.

That way, the track will change so much come finals time that the extra track time wont mean as much/anything. Lines change, setup changes etc.

Seems an easy fix while keeping all the classes imo.
Gavel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:47 PM
  #124  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 61
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Actually , if there were no classes and everyone was sorted after qualifying , you would solve all these issues and the cards would fall where they may. Would like to see that play out one time ....

EDIT: Just noticed the mention of this further back ...
Yes!! Couldn't agree more. I have been racing nitro buggy since its inception in the mid 90's. Back in the day there were not all these classes like sportsman and expert. The thinking was, if you are racing nitro you probably are not a beginner. If you ended up in the triple "Q" main then you are racing against people of similar skill level. I took a number of years off so I am not as fast as I once was, but it would never occur to me to run in any class except the "Pro" class. I want to see where I stack up against the best. If I end up last....well than I guess I got work to do. Wouldn't bother me in the least. I love the challenge.

I understand a need for a rookie class, but beyond that, this is what mains are for. Personally I would rather be in the "M" main of the pro class than the "A" main of the expert or sportsman class. There are plenty of local races to make an "A" or "B" main. It is awesome to see Pros practice let alone qualify and race. I would never want to limit a Pro's time on the track in any way. Watching Pro's like JQ and others is half the reason I am at the event in the first place. Maybe JQ can chime in on this issue again, would like to hear is opinion. Could be I am missing something on what the need is for classes like "Expert".
Payton 34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 PM
  #125  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (36)
 
Jerm13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VB, VA
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Apco1 View Post
If they forgo the event because they'll be in the J main where they belong then maybe real competition isn't for them. Maybe they need to go back to t-ball where everyone gets a trophy.
Spoken like someone who voted "Kate" for woman of the year....
Classes are separated for this very reason. By skill level, or your "assumed" skill level. If you just so happen to be fast enough to qualify in the B of the next higher level, then that's the race directors call on what to do.
But I bet, the keyboard commands will rip said person apart, and you are more than welcome to take part in that...


As far as the program this year, well run, those that qualified for each main were, from what I watched, were in the right spots....


The Legends, +40 classes....eh. Give the seasoned guy a chance to get some hardware....
Jerm13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:55 PM
  #126  
Tech Regular
 
Retired09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fear Farm - AZ
Posts: 446
Default

Actually I think Joey should add one more class.

60+ lol!!!
nitroal and MattDub like this.
Retired09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:40 PM
  #127  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (148)
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,522
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Retired09 View Post
Actually I think Joey should add one more class.

60+ lol!!!
Ya cause you are kicking my ass in the 40+!!!

IMO the race ran smoother than it has in many years. The qual and main days ended at a reasonable hour, it started on time, tech was smooth and consistent like usual. Idk what warrants all the bench racing (whining)

Drake didn't podium, he followed the rules and he ran 1 hell of a race. I think it was more due to his OS power...
GrandeGixxer and offroad dude like this.
Frank L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:00 PM
  #128  
Tech Regular
 
Retired09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fear Farm - AZ
Posts: 446
Default

Frank agree.
The whole team (Joey, Aaron, Kenny and Jimmy) did a fantastic job. By far the smoothest DNC I have attended (which is most of them).
nitroal and Frank L like this.
Retired09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 PM
  #129  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (28)
 
MaricopaAgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maricopa, Az
Posts: 682
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Retired09 View Post
Actually I think Joey should add one more class.

60+ lol!!!
Settle down over there...
Retired09 likes this.
MaricopaAgent is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:36 PM
  #130  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Apco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 599
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
Spoken like someone who voted "Kate" for woman of the year....
Classes are separated for this very reason. By skill level, or your "assumed" skill level. If you just so happen to be fast enough to qualify in the B of the next higher level, then that's the race directors call on what to do.
But I bet, the keyboard commands will rip said person apart, and you are more than welcome to take part in that...


As far as the program this year, well run, those that qualified for each main were, from what I watched, were in the right spots....


The Legends, +40 classes....eh. Give the seasoned guy a chance to get some hardware....
Not sure who "Kate" is. So not sure what that reference is implying. But whatever.

I don't think it should be the race directors call to move someone from one class to another. They just needs to make sure the event runs smoothly and on time. No need to burden them with making a subjective call on what was already a subjective decision. Just opens the event up to more unnecessary criticism. Whats wrong with running two quals, doing a resort and then assigning the field as pro, expert and sportsman based upon the first two rounds?
Apco1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:53 PM
  #131  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
Matthew_Armeni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Temecula
Posts: 1,659
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

One class per vehicle type would be great, that's my favorite thing about ROAR races! I enjoy racing down in the "T" main or whatever it would be because those other 9-14 guys/gals in my heat will be extremely close to me in skill and speed. That makes every main exciting to be in and to watch.
I don't think we'll see this happen at DNC or any other major race as the person/group putting on the race typically wants to make money and not hear complaints. By having 40 plus, Legends, sportsman, expert, etc., it allows one driver to sign up for multiple classes for the same vehicle type. Each additional signup is another entry fee. Then there's guys that are on the line between sportsman/expert or expert/pro. They have to decide whether to end up placing well at a race or placing at the bottom. There's a good amount that will do the former and if not given the option (ROAR style) they simply won't attend.
As far as if Drake running the Legends is fair or not, to me it's definitely not. However, it's legal so he should definitely do it. Same as Degani or any other pro that qualifies. Why would they not take the extra track time? On principle? Not unless they all agree to not run, and at that point why have a legends class? Someone earlier said they should run gas truck, that would be cool. Maybe not gas truck specifically, but some other vehicle type that doesn't translate to their other classes. 10 drivers, 10 equal spec cars, no practice, just some exhibition thing for fun.
Matthew_Armeni is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:13 PM
  #132  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,375
Default

If I chose to run every class, no one should be able to say otherwise.
Chris Reilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:00 PM
  #133  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (96)
 
houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sherwood,OR
Posts: 15,827
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
Actually , if there were no classes and everyone was sorted after qualifying , you would solve all these issues and the cards would fall where they may. Would like to see that play out one time ....

EDIT: Just noticed the mention of this further back ...
thats what roar nationals are for
houston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:14 PM
  #134  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 343
Default

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni View Post
One class per vehicle type would be great, that's my favorite thing about ROAR races! I enjoy racing down in the "T" main or whatever it would be because those other 9-14 guys/gals in my heat will be extremely close to me in skill and speed. That makes every main exciting to be in and to watch.
I don't think we'll see this happen at DNC or any other major race as the person/group putting on the race typically wants to make money and not hear complaints. By having 40 plus, Legends, sportsman, expert, etc., it allows one driver to sign up for multiple classes for the same vehicle type. Each additional signup is another entry fee. Then there's guys that are on the line between sportsman/expert or expert/pro. They have to decide whether to end up placing well at a race or placing at the bottom. There's a good amount that will do the former and if not given the option (ROAR style) they simply won't attend.
As far as if Drake running the Legends is fair or not, to me it's definitely not. However, it's legal so he should definitely do it. Same as Degani or any other pro that qualifies. Why would they not take the extra track time? On principle? Not unless they all agree to not run, and at that point why have a legends class? Someone earlier said they should run gas truck, that would be cool. Maybe not gas truck specifically, but some other vehicle type that doesn't translate to their other classes. 10 drivers, 10 equal spec cars, no practice, just some exhibition thing for fun.
Exactly. If you want to run a class other than pro it should have different rules, perhaps a spec tire or lower power engine. You don't see five different classes of F1 cars or Cup cars at the track. Never was I fast enough to make an a main at any large race but it was always fun to attend the same race every year to see how I improved after another year of practice.
RandyJones likes this.
dynamiteracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM
  #135  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (148)
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,522
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

All the bench racing...
Hold on popcorn is coming
Frank L is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service