Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17 >

Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

Like Tree30Likes

Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

Old 01-05-2019, 11:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Bad ass thread. super informal. im a week into my rtr truly love it. however I am changing the motor on it what do I need to change it? is this iT "TLR241017"
I want a little more out of it. would you guys reccomend a novarossi p5? or werks b5? those seem like good entry aftermarket motors.and right around my 230 dollar budget. honestly the stock. motor wasn't that bad I just. want something with some more balls.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thats Bats View Post
Bad ass thread. super informal. im a week into my rtr truly love it. however I am changing the motor on it what do I need to change it? is this iT "TLR241017"
I want a little more out of it. would you guys reccomend a novarossi p5? or werks b5? those seem like good entry aftermarket motors.and right around my 230 dollar budget. honestly the stock. motor wasn't that bad I just. want something with some more balls.
The Novarossi Elite 5off is a good entry level motor that rips. you can get it for around $140 (just motor) on novarossidirect.com. You have to buy the pipe and header separate.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SkippyMatt View Post
The Novarossi Elite 5off is a good entry level motor that rips. you can get it for around $140 (just motor) on novarossidirect.com. You have to buy the pipe and header separate.
had no clue that site existed. theres also a 10% discount right now. some good numbers on that page
Old 01-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

cant go wrong with either the Nova P5 or Werks B5.

I was looking at putting in a Werks B5 into mine
Old 01-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

ok. my build is moving along slowly but surely....
went down to the lhs to pick up either a new steering servo or throttle servo. the steering servo I wanted wasn't there anymore. so I went with the protec 155s as a throttle servo. beautiful looking servo. too bad I'll never see it she's throwing out 0.06s at 7.4 volts and 370 tq. do I need anything else to mount this? will I need to use the 3 little. "spacers" or just drop. it in? total noob here..... just. trying to build a bad ass truggy.
I can see the point of a kit now. but a 8ight t kit is a pretty gnarly first build so I went with rtr. this way when I replace something I can look at it and understand better.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

ok. my build is moving along slowly but surely....
went down to the lhs to pick up either a new steering servo or throttle servo. the steering servo I wanted wasn't there anymore. so I went with the protec 155s as a throttle servo. beautiful looking servo. too bad I'll never see it she's throwing out 0.06s at 7.4 volts and 370 tq. do I need anything else to mount this? will I need to use the 3 little. "spacers" or just drop. it in? total noob here..... just. trying to build a bad ass truggy.
I can see the point of a kit now. but a 8ight t kit is a pretty gnarly first build so I went with rtr. this way when I replace something I can look at it and understand better.
If its rubber grommet spacer looking thingies, definitely install those. It will help isolate the servo(s) from the vibration.

Honestly, install that as a steering servo. The steering servo is the one thats lacking. The throttle is ok for now. Then just get a Protek 160 or 170 and use this as a steering servo and swap the other one to throttle/brake duties!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Tech Rookie

my next servo for the steering servo will be. the 170tbl from protek. bit slower at .11s but she's gunna be throwing out 650 oz of tq prolly way over kill. but. it'll be fun. I just want to feel more "connected" with my truck. gunna be ordering a nova of some sort this week just haven't decided what one yet. after that im done putting money into the truggy for a bit. I got a cbr 1000 that I need to show some loving to new fairings and a full exhaust my plan was to walk into the lhs and buy a mini revo to calm my speed itch since its snowing and can't ride my bike. and there was a bunch of nitro truggys running and I said screw it im going all out. ill pry pop in like 2x a month and run with these guys for fun. WRONG!!! during break in every one was talking and getting me hyped up (not to mention the sounds and smell ).... that was a week ago been at the track every open track day good times the rtr wasn't a bad kit at all. I just love squeezing everything out of every performance vehicle I can get my hands on..
Evoking1230 likes this.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

its definitely an addiction!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 PM
Tech Rookie

whats a good shock oil weight? stock is way too soft for me. what springs do you recommend?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

whats a good shock oil weight? stock is way too soft for me. what springs do you recommend?
According to the manual, its 40WT in there...NO WAY IN HELL

Like you said, way too soft.

A good starting point is Adam Drake's standard setup for the 8IGHT 3.0 (which the RTR is a copy of),

37.5F/30R

Depending on weather, this will go up or down.

As for springs, the ones on there are pretty decent. Which springs you need will depend on which end of the car needs more or less traction, in which case you go harder or softer. Just keep in mind that the RTR shocks are 15mm springs and are limited to just these:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=losi+15mm+springs

If you upgrade to the aluminum shocks, those are 16mm and opens up a bunch of options as far as spring tuning. Then go with the EVO springs. But be advised, you have to flip the spring collar on the shock body and use the spring caps from the RTR shocks. :-)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 PM
Tech Rookie

finally blow out rear diff. i changed fluid in all diff to 100k center and 50k f/r. when rear diff blow out car still drive like FWD. was fun. will tear into rear diff but i know what it is ring and pinion already. we will see soon!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bashncrash View Post
finally blow out rear diff. i changed fluid in all diff to 100k center and 50k f/r. when rear diff blow out car still drive like FWD. was fun. will tear into rear diff but i know what it is ring and pinion already. we will see soon!
Unless you're driving strictly on-road, that diff fluid is WAYYYY too high!

5K/7K/3K is standard.