Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Hotbodies D817 Nitro thread >

Hotbodies D817 Nitro thread

Like Tree127Likes

Hotbodies D817 Nitro thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

There is no problem with the hb diffs. I haven't had one fail in 3 years.Must be builder error
Old 06-22-2018, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
Which bodies are available for these cars? Do the D815 bodies fit the D817 as well?
yes
Old 06-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elex300 View Post
Which bodies are available for these cars? Do the D815 bodies fit the D817 as well?
812 to 817 bodies will fit and anything for the AE RC8B3 with modifications.
I have rc8b3 bodies on order but haven't tried them yet.

Originally Posted by KCodd View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the diffs eating bearings? A local racer keeps losing diffs because the shield falls out of the bearing and gets mashed into the ring and pinion. Is this a common issue or is it more than likely a builder error?
Sounds like a build or shim error. never had a diff bearing fail.........
The diff has 2 outdrive bearings and 2 pinion bearings. which are failing?
Also are they stock bearings or aftermarket?
Old 06-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Diff failure...

Has anyone had a problem with the diffs eating bearings? A local racer keeps losing diffs because the shield falls out of the bearing and gets mashed into the ring and pinion. Is this a common issue or is it more than likely a builder error?
given proper shimming... the pinion's diameter would make it impossible for a bearing sheild to make it over the pinion and impact the crown gear...
if the snap ring is not installed correctly and falls off the play could certainly destroy the bearing and the pinion and cron gears along with it...
careful shimming and making sure the pinion retainer ring is properly installed is a must.
interesting in that I have never had a driveline failure in my HB cars - going back to the D8.
as with any car careful setup and proper parts tolerance goes a long way to maintaining durability...
slashracer111 and stanleyw808 like this.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thank you for the reply’s. The bearing that keeps failing is the inside pinion bearing. I’m leaning towards the possibility of the snap ring being improperly installed as the cause of the failures. That inside bearing is huge and seems indestructible so I was perplexed at how it could keep failing.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank you for the replyís. The bearing that keeps failing is the inside pinion bearing. Iím leaning towards the possibility of the snap ring being improperly installed as the cause of the failures. That inside bearing is huge and seems indestructible so I was perplexed at how it could keep failing.
make sure the snap ring is on the smaller 2nd groove like in the picture.
a worn ring will pop off onto the larger groove.

twigstoy likes this.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:12 AM
Tech Adept

I’ll check with my buddy and see if that’s where he had it. When I was building mine that double groove messed me up for a second until I felt how loose the pinion was and knew something wasn’t correct. This car is leaps and bounds better than the Associated that I’m coming from. I can’t wait to get it dialed and see how much better it is.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Iíll check with my buddy and see if thatís where he had it. When I was building mine that double groove messed me up for a second until I felt how loose the pinion was and knew something wasnít correct. This car is leaps and bounds better than the Associated that Iím coming from. I canít wait to get it dialed and see how much better it is.
I have a TKI4 a 8B3.1 and all the HB cars...dont sell the Associated short...careful set up and all these cars are fantastic. I am a long time HB guy tho...my 817 is durable and consistent. Careful shimming is required for a supersmooth drivetrain tho...shocks on the 817 are fantastic - easy to set up.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:07 AM
Tech Adept

The AE cars were awesome and rarely let me down. My reason for switching is that I’ve been racing for about 18 months now and am the only one of my friends running AE. I hang out with guys that run for HB and trying to learn from them then apply it to a totally different car doesn’t work so well. Lol. I watched a buddy build his 817 one day and couldn’t believe how beefy everything was. When he let me drive it a few days later I was able to drive his car as hard as I pushed mine after only a few short laps to get the feel for his car. The 817 is an incredible platform and I look forward to running it each and every time.
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

I too have just switched from AE only because i not getting on with the 3.1.I loved the 3.0 . Over the years i had most makes Mugen,Kyosho,Agama etc. Ive got to say this has to be the best car out of the box i have ever driven,within 4 tanks the car felt like everything had run itself in and with a few minor set up changes the car was amazing. I found it really easy to drive,good brakes,great steering and superb suspension. I did manage to bend the front shock tower but overall the car is really tough and well built,i can see i will be more consistant with this car .
Old 06-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Is HB releasing any new buggies/truggies in the near future? New track is opening soon and I need to get a new 1/8th.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:17 PM
ASA
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FloridaST View Post
Is HB releasing any new buggies/truggies in the near future? New track is opening soon and I need to get a new 1/8th.
The D817-V2 has only recently come out in the last few months and the D817T is not much older........both are awesome out of the box and require very little upgrades or setup changes to suit alot of tracks
turndownwhip likes this.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ASA View Post
The D817-V2 has only recently come out in the last few months and the D817T is not much older........both are awesome out of the box and require very little upgrades or setup changes to suit alot of tracks
Great, thanks for the info. Helps me in my decision making.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

32 or 34 mm clutch?
looking for after market alternatives.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:11 PM
ASA
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by infrontofu View Post
32 or 34 mm clutch?
looking for after market alternatives.
34mm I believe.....im running the Werks clutches.....they are very nice and long wearing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service