Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

question on solvent sprays for cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default question on solvent sprays for cleaning

Do you know any solvent spray that can be used to clean cars that does not leave any residue? most leave some type of sticky residue that may or may not harm surfaces.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Simple green
Old 11-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kibble
Do you know any solvent spray that can be used to clean cars that does not leave any residue? most leave some type of sticky residue that may or may not harm surfaces.
Denatured alcohol.. and it wont hurt electronics either...
Old 11-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use Sards stain remover eucalyptus spray or simple green.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The flashpoint cleaning spray is basically the best stuff I have found yet. I use to stick to simple green / WD40 but now if I can I won't use anything else. It's really damn good.

http://flashpointrc.com/flash-point-...cleaner-32-oz/

I recently even did a 60/40 mix with water and used it in an ultrasonic cleaner I got off amazon for cheap and it was amazing. No more scrubbing shock body threads to get them clean. 5 min in the cleaner and they looked basically brand new.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Endust. Spray it on and then blow it off with an air compressor. Will leave the plastics shiny and clean!
Old 11-13-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Most of you suggested water-soluble agents.Do you take the car apart before using them? What about rust?
Old 11-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

I pull my radio tray, motor and tank. Soak it with simple green and hose it off. Always looks great and dirt doesn't stick to it!!

Here's an in progress shot of my Mbx7r. Look at that shine from just simple green and water! Oh and I let it dry by just sitting it out in the sun and letting the sun bake it. Always comes back looking like new!
Old 11-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

+1 on denatured alchohol for electronics "wipe down" and Simple Green for all the chassis / suspension cleanup.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rotor head33
I pull my radio tray, motor and tank. Soak it with simple green and hose it off. Always looks great and dirt doesn't stick to it!!

Here's an in progress shot of my Mbx7r. Look at that shine from just simple green and water! Oh and I let it dry by just sitting it out in the sun and letting the sun bake it. Always comes back looking like new!
I realize I'm bumping an old thread here but I just have to ask you, do you replace all your bearings after doing this every time? What about rust etc?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Have you ever tried washing axle grease off of your hands?

Pack your bearings with marine grease and you can pressure wash the car with little worry. Bearings really aren't a huge deal. I often get a dozen days of use out of my wheel bearings, diff bearing can last much longer.

CVD's are the only major problem. Those need relubed if they aren't booted. But that's normal.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Have you ever tried washing axle grease off of your hands?

Pack your bearings with marine grease and you can pressure wash the car with little worry. Bearings really aren't a huge deal. I often get a dozen days of use out of my wheel bearings, diff bearing can last much longer.

CVD's are the only major problem. Those need relubed if they aren't booted. But that's normal.
Good point. But what about rust? It just feels oddly wrong to me to hose my car with water. Almost like pouring ketchup into a new pair of shoes I don't know why it seems so backwards to me, like it would destroy the car.

I suppose you'd only do it if the car is so muddy and dirty that you absolutely have to use water. And most cleaning solvents/de-greasers seem to contain water anyway...
Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kibble
For electronics and bearings, I use CRC (red can) QD Electronic Cleaner. This is available for a reasonable price at WalMart in the automotive section, is not so hard on your hands, and does not gas you out like BraKleen does.

Diltued simple green for the car. Clean and dry well, and then a bit of WD40 on a rag for metals.

Endust or other furniture polish (Dollar Tree brands are nice) at the track.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Nope. No rust issues. A little surface rust on the drive shafts where it rubs the cup but that comes off with just a while down lol
Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 PM
8T
Tech Adept

For me, it depends on how my truggy and buggy look after a race. I race weekly and the heat line up changes depending on the turn out. We usually run a watered track, but not after each heat. So, if they come home pretty dirty, i'll pull off the arms, electronics and motors, spray everything except the motor and electronics with simple green and give them a brushing with a simi stiff brush, and blow it off, then spry off with wd40 and blow it off again. Spray the body with sc1. Done. I replace the bearings once or twice a year depending, and make sure the cvd's are greased lightly. Never any rust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.