question on solvent sprays for cleaning >

question on solvent sprays for cleaning

Like Tree1Likes

question on solvent sprays for cleaning

Old 02-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 on simple green.
That is basically what I can easily found here in Oz.
Just spray/soak it for a while, let the dirt and grime fall off from the kit, and then blast it off with water.
Then what is left is just shiny clean car.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Have you ever tried washing axle grease off of your hands?

Pack your bearings with marine grease and you can pressure wash the car with little worry. Bearings really aren't a huge deal. I often get a dozen days of use out of my wheel bearings, diff bearing can last much longer.

CVD's are the only major problem. Those need relubed if they aren't booted. But that's normal.
What's a good.. lubricant oil to use for ceramic bearings?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

After its all cleaned up spray sc-1 on all the plastic. It will make the plastic look glossy and new.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Rookie

As an MX guy, I tend to use a lot of products I use on my bikes. So a few things...

I wouldn't use Simple Green. Yes, it seems like it works great, but it's not super ideal on all parts. I'd use pH neutral cleaner. "Shout" stain remover is a super cheap, laundry stain remover and it's pH neutral, so it doesn't dull aluminum or slowly eat away/dull plastics. It also works extremely well.

Another thing I use is something from a sponsor of mine in MX, Slick Products. Slick wash and wax works great, and on RC lasts a long time. If you order the kit, it's pretty fairly priced, and comes with the wash, a spray on wax (similar to maxima SC1, Lucas slick mist, etc), a brush, some microfibres and the spraying device. It works extremely well.

Another thing is using the proper grease on your bearings. Once again, I use the same stuff I use on my MX bikes, Belray waterproof grease and or Maxima waterproof grease. It's a high temp grease, that resists washout very well. It also doesn't attract dust. Lots of good greases on the market, just make sure the one you use is waterproof, it'll last longer.

One last thing, if you are trying to remove clumps of grease, or something similar and the shout or slick won't get rid of it, use some electrical contact cleaner (or Maxima contact cleaner). It won't damage aluminum, plastic, painted surfaces, etc. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works too, but it's not as safe on plastic, rubber, or painted surfaces.

Hope this helps. Just talking from some experience!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

I use a pressure washer on mine. Take out motor and electronics, pressure wash, blow off with compressor, spray with wd-40, blow off again trying to blow the wd into the bearings. I have done this for years and never had a problem. I replace my bearings about 1 time per year.
token likes this.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroal
I use a pressure washer on mine. Take out motor and electronics, pressure wash, blow off with compressor, spray with wd-40, blow off again trying to blow the wd into the bearings. I have done this for years and never had a problem. I replace my bearings about 1 time per year.
+1 on the wd-40

I don't usually use a pressure washer, but I use simple green or end dust and then blow it off with an air compressor then spray it down with wd-40 and wipe it dry before I pack it up in my bag
Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Doesn't spraying dirt with a cleaner just result in the cleaner mixing with the dirt and making a gunk? I don't logically see how making the dirt wet will make it leave the car.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy900
Doesn't spraying dirt with a cleaner just result in the cleaner mixing with the dirt and making a gunk? I don't logically see how making the dirt wet will make it leave the car.
Your right but then you need to use compressed air to blow it off. The compressed air is what is removing dirt. The cleaner is what carries the dirt away.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by asr524
Your right but then you need to use compressed air to blow it off. The compressed air is what is removing dirt. The cleaner is what carries the dirt away.
Wouldn't the air just make the gunk run around all over the car instead?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I laugh at the sc1 and wd40 recommendations because while they look cute they are dirt magnets. Clean plastics will always look better and stay cleaner than a plastic with something on it to look shiny. That's an issue at my local outdoor track. Those of us that just use simple green and a hose stay cleaner way longer.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

After every race I take it apart and completely clean it. Pipe cleaners in the arms and plastics. Clean everything very well. Simple Clean and brake cleaner. Maybe varsol for the diffs.Amsoil for the bearings Same as I used on mx bike. It also works well for afterrun oiil.
Have Maxima SC-1 and Pledge for other things.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rotor head33
I laugh at the sc1 and wd40 recommendations because while they look cute they are dirt magnets. Clean plastics will always look better and stay cleaner than a plastic with something on it to look shiny. That's an issue at my local outdoor track. Those of us that just use simple green and a hose stay cleaner way longer.
No sir, if you properly use SC1, it repels dust and dirt. Trust me, I've been through probably close to 600 cans in MX. You are supposed to use a microfibre to wipe it off once you spray it on.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It does until the dirt reaches the edge of the chassis then it blows off. On a round part like a shock body you have to blow air around both sides before you eventually get it all off.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I blow the car off first getting the big and easy stuff off, then when I spray with a cleaner it makes the hard sticky dirt wet yes but it also helps make it loose, then when you spray it with air again it gets the "gunk" off of the car, then you spray it again with more cleaner and blow it off once more, this time there is very little "gunk" on the car leaving it very clean. The only area on most cars that the "gunk" is an issue is on the tank, there it mixes with splashed nitro and it does seem to blow around a bit, but simply take a brush and brush it around. Worrying about "gunk" as you put it is a non issue, you can use a cleaner or just take your whole car apart and use a brush and air and tooth pick to get all your areas clean and spotless or use a cleaner, at the end of the day the choice is yours.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

I agree Denatured alcohol. You can get a gallon for about $15 at Home Depot. I sometimes will use Nitro Force spray. Check Horizon or your LHS they might carry it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.