Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Needle tuning crisis. Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Needle tuning crisis. Help

I am running my first nitro ever. I am still learning, i am a newbie. Also i am afraid of leaning out my engine. I am afraid that i will damage it. I have a vx-18 engine in my car and my current needle settings seem lean to me but it keeps spitting clouds of smoke, and i have a light carbon build up (tiny spots) on my piston. My HSN is 2 turns out from full closed pos. and my LSN is 2.5 turns out. Its sometimes still choking on fuel when i floor the throttle. Not that unsure bogging that a lean engine makes. Its a sudden rev drop on full throttle. Also I never got high temps, i could always touch it for a sec or so. Oh and another thing: It keeps spitting oil on the chassy. Literally spraying. I am using Nitrolux 16% fuel, with 10% plus synthetic add ons. Is the carbon build up a problem? Can I remove it?
Old 09-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Sounds like it is too rich, lean it out a little and try it. The carbon build up is normal provided its not too much but I wouldn't be too concerned. 2 turns out does seem quite a way down though, maybe reset needles back to after run in point and go from there. These pages might help out too.
http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013...rets-revealed/

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2011...-tuned-engine/
Old 09-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds like it's really rich. I would start over with the tune. If it is bogging and there is a lot of smoke coming out, you are probably super rich. I would check your fuel lines also. There shouldn't be that much fuel spilling out if the lines don't have any tears.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tysonsk
Sounds like it's really rich. I would start over with the tune. If it is bogging and there is a lot of smoke coming out, you are probably super rich. I would check your fuel lines also. There shouldn't be that much fuel spilling out if the lines don't have any tears.
Its the exhaust thats spitting burnt oil all over my car. Also the bearing behind the flywheel aparys some fuel.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Then you have an engine bearing leak and an exhaust leak. Sounds like time for a rebuild bud.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rotor head33
Then you have an engine bearing leak and an exhaust leak. Sounds like time for a rebuild bud.
I've had it for a week XD
Old 09-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

That's still very possible. Could have broken if in incorrectly. You absolutely should have nothing coming from the front bearing. That's your biggest problem that I'd address first and foremost.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rotor head33
That's still very possible. Could have broken if in incorrectly. You absolutely should have nothing coming from the front bearing. That's your biggest problem that I'd address first and foremost.
I broke it in sloppy rich. Also i dont understand how breaking in affects bearings.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Running too rich can cause fuel to exit the front bearing. Lean it out it should stop leaking
Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

I would just be worried if fuel is getting out that means dirt can get in once you lean it out and stop having so much positive crank case pressure.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Be sure to have a good air filter. If it leaks dust, it can destroy your crank, front bearing and piston in 15 minutes. Also start with idle adjustment. Your engine should idle nicely for 2-3 minutes, When opening the throttle, it should pic up revs instantly and have slight smoke out of exhaust. lean the high speed needle until you have this condition. Also be sure to have a car fuel with max 10% oil content. Some airplane and helicopter fuels have 25% oil. That could be the reason to exessive oil and difficulties in tuning.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by raddad
Be sure to have a good air filter. If it leaks dust, it can destroy your crank, front bearing and piston in 15 minutes. Also start with idle adjustment. Your engine should idle nicely for 2-3 minutes, When opening the throttle, it should pic up revs instantly and have slight smoke out of exhaust. lean the high speed needle until you have this condition. Also be sure to have a car fuel with max 10% oil content. Some airplane and helicopter fuels have 25% oil. That could be the reason to exessive oil and difficulties in tuning.
I do have a fuel with 10 percent oil. I have watched some of JThornley's videos of tuning a vx-18 engine but his hsn seems waaaaay too rich. Almost flush. A guy from nitrorcx set the hsn to 2.5 turns from fully closed position and he called it rich so idk.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by raddad
I do have a fuel with 10 percent oil. I have watched some of JThornley's videos of tuning a vx-18 engine but his hsn seems waaaaay too rich. Almost flush. A guy from nitrorcx set the hsn to 2.5 turns from fully closed position and he called it rich so idk.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Forget what other peoples settings are at, you need to tune it for your own environment as temperature etc can affect tune. As I posted links to pages I advise again for you to read them. Tune it to what it seems to operate best at, if it seems rich then lean it out and see what happens. Asking for help in here and reading advice is great but you cannot get anywhere without experimenting yourself. Do not try to change to many things at once as you will not know what changes have affected what. Go back to start point with your settings as already mentioned and go from there.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Bottom line is you tune your motor to weather conditions, because every time the weather changes so does your tune. Its just the way it is with nitro. First bring the engine to normal operation temp. If you have a temp gauge or gun this helps. Run your car under throttle. If bogs down then you are running too rich and chances are you need to lean it out. Turn the HSN 1/8 turn and take a few more passes. Keep repeating until the vehicle no longer bogs down. You also want a light blue smoke barely visible under acceleration and you will also see an increase performance in throttle response. Once you reach this desire performance, turn the HSN counterclockwise 1/8 turn. You need to find that sweet spot when tuning. The 1/8 CCW turn is to ensure that the motor is running just rich enough to lubricate all the parts. Also you should be running a fuel with 10-12% oil contect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.