Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Live Coverage of 1/8th Euros

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gavel
Why wouldnt you ever run protec? I have one of theor 150t as a throttle servo for my truck, have done for over a year, still going stong
I have run some stuff from Protek's OEMs like lipos, was thoroughly disappointed, also the stuff Protek rebrands is available in other places way cheaper.

My current servos are 7-8 years old, they never rested. One of them the gears were changed this year and the other one of the motor tabs broke, re-soldered and it's still going. These servos.

I wouldn't say that for the price this servo is good, as it's one of the cheapest servos I bought new. It's weird, as it's the econo range but it's quality and performs as good as better servos, can't imagine if I go for the upper echelon.

Last edited by 30Tooth; 07-12-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andyg01
Thanks Danny, that makes sense.

I don't think there are any pictures of what batteries they were using and you could be right with LiPo.

I don't like Li-ion as the cells are spot welded and can fail even when the battery is padded. They may work well in a Tesla, but not an 1/8th buggy

We use LRP LiFe
Tesla dont work here also..... too hot ... lolz.

yeah life is safe..... but in Asia the life tend swell within 3-5 use due to heat..... so literally we drop em too.... life at 6.6v some of us find it is low performance in term of torque and speed....
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 AM
Tech Addict

K-Power IS manufacturer.
Again, my friend tested them all, all failed at some point, k- power don't.
I ordered some.
Specs from k-power are real, savöx are fake...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gt racing
K-Power IS manufacturer.
Again, my friend tested them all, all failed at some point, k- power don't.
I ordered some.
Specs from k-power are real, savöx are fake...
Easy to test rate claims, I will do for the ones I have.

Let me know when the servos arrive, want to hear your review on them.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

I suspect that the heat in Spain and a long final what caused the problem for Battle and Ronnefalk.

I wonder if either of them have the balls to post what the actual issue was ... we all guess the motor failed by becoming too hot.

The brand is damaged by the double failure especially in such a high profile event.
It have well communicated what the issue was (doesn't need special balls).
Gas servo stopped working for some reason and they are sent to the manufacture so they can check it. It's easy to say that they was over heated, but until we really know we don't speculate.

1/2 lap before Davids car stopped is also stopped a few seconds in front of the spectator stand and we in pit directly understod that it was som electrical issue.
Both Robert and Battle felt some gas/break issues on laps before.
Robot could enter the track again and drove one more lap before he had to retire.

Davids servo was dead, i turned off/on the power and it was the same. After the technical inspection after the race, it worked again.

This is the true facts, and it was no engine issue as the said on the broadcast. we stopped the engine when the car was carried into the pits.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny Teh
I had used Highest before.

The specs is good. To good to be true.

The servo doesnt go with LIPO battery as the amp and volt stays high after 30 mins and it literally overheats it with hot engine and hot weather..........

but it is not broken. After it cools down.
...it is working again. Some thermal / electronics shutdown to keep the servo safe.....

But in a cold weather condition. It will have no problem.

In Asia, we used life or Li Ion like receiver battery and stay away from Lipo.....it didnt create problems to Highest but many reputated brands too were hit bad. Weather seems extremely hot nowadays..............we ought to be careful now with the equipment we are running now.......

just my opinion.......
Where you buy lion battery?
How many volt lion battery?
How mutch cost lion battery?
If I want use 1 lion battery in my losi 4.0 which battery I can buy?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
I have run some stuff from Protek's OEMs like lipos, was thoroughly disappointed, also the stuff Protek rebrands is available in other places way cheaper.

My current servos are 7-8 years old, they never rested. One of them the gears were changed this year and the other one of the motor tabs broke, re-soldered and it's still going. These servos.

I wouldn't say that for the price this servo is good, as it's one of the cheapest servos I bought new. It's weird, as it's the econo range but it's quality and performs as good as better servos, can't imagine if I go for the upper echelon.
you should try the pos igniters protek puts out, good for one start on a charge lol
Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Danny Teh
I had used Highest before.

The specs is good. To good to be true.

The servo doesnt go with LIPO battery as the amp and volt stays high after 30 mins and it literally overheats it with hot engine and hot weather..........

but it is not broken. After it cools down....it is working again. Some thermal / electronics shutdown to keep the servo safe.....

But in a cold weather condition. It will have no problem.

In Asia, we used life or Li Ion like receiver battery and stay away from Lipo.....it didnt create problems to Highest but many reputated brands too were hit bad. Weather seems extremely hot nowadays..............we ought to be careful now with the equipment we are running now.......

just my opinion.......
Here is Korea. Highest made in Korea. We all use Lipo.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtaiji
Here is Korea. Highest made in Korea. We all use Lipo.
Good you can use lipo in korea.....your weather might be cooler but we cannot risk in South East Asia.....weather is too hot........

Some countries like South East Asia it is very hot.............our normal temperature ranges 34-38 approx degrees celcius....engine runs hot 110 - 135 degrees approx celcius.....so that is our problem.

IF we run LIPO here. Chances the servo overheats and short life are very high.........ALL types of servos ran into problems here........And not just servos, PT and receivers might run into problems if the weather is at its hottest.

Our electronics here basically overheats when it gets too hot. It will shut down or stop. But not broken / spoilt.

After it cools off, all servo, PT or receiver will be working again........
Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PiRo
Gas servo stopped working for some reason and they are sent to the manufacture so they can check it. It's easy to say that they was over heated, but until we really know we don't speculate.

1/2 lap before Davids car stopped is also stopped a few seconds in front of the spectator stand and we in pit directly understod that it was som electrical issue.
Robot could enter the track again and drove one more lap before he had to retire.

Davids servo was dead, i turned off/on the power and it was the same. After the technical inspection after the race, it worked again.

This is the true facts, and it was no engine issue as the said on the broadcast. we stopped the engine when the car was carried into the pits.
Thanks for letting us know, so it's a servo issue and not a transmitter/receiver issue? And only affected the throttle servo?

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
you should try the pos igniters protek puts out, good for one start on a charge lol
Good heavens, are they disposable?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PiRo

I look forward to your post after the inspection why it stopped .... you might need even bigger balls to post (I am teasing)

If it is heat, he might be concerned in Las Vegas at the Worlds
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 AM
dtr
Tech Master

If it is heat, he might be concerned in Las Vegas at the Worlds
How about some heat conducting tape between chassis and servo?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

can't see that working, it has a thing called a motor running at 200F, but having said that, I have never check the temp of a chassis yet ..food for thought
Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Chassis is only warm under the motor/engine mount. Servo mounts are plastic on almost every 1/8th car I saw, and there's barely any airflow in that cramped area. I guess on nitro cars metal servo mounts would cause too much vibration, so some soft heat transfer agent is necessary.