Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
2016 Live Coverage of 1/8th Euros >

2016 Live Coverage of 1/8th Euros

2016 Live Coverage of 1/8th Euros

Old 07-12-2016, 03:44 PM
  #31  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
Why wouldnt you ever run protec? I have one of theor 150t as a throttle servo for my truck, have done for over a year, still going stong
I have run some stuff from Protek's OEMs like lipos, was thoroughly disappointed, also the stuff Protek rebrands is available in other places way cheaper.

My current servos are 7-8 years old, they never rested. One of them the gears were changed this year and the other one of the motor tabs broke, re-soldered and it's still going. These servos.

I wouldn't say that for the price this servo is good, as it's one of the cheapest servos I bought new. It's weird, as it's the econo range but it's quality and performs as good as better servos, can't imagine if I go for the upper echelon.

Last edited by 30Tooth; 07-12-2016 at 04:09 PM.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 PM
  #32  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
Danny Teh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 8,508
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Andyg01 View Post
Thanks Danny, that makes sense.

I don't think there are any pictures of what batteries they were using and you could be right with LiPo.

I don't like Li-ion as the cells are spot welded and can fail even when the battery is padded. They may work well in a Tesla, but not an 1/8th buggy

We use LRP LiFe
Tesla dont work here also..... too hot ... lolz.

yeah life is safe..... but in Asia the life tend swell within 3-5 use due to heat..... so literally we drop em too.... life at 6.6v some of us find it is low performance in term of torque and speed....
Danny Teh is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 03:49 AM
  #33  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 608
Default

K-Power IS manufacturer.
Again, my friend tested them all, all failed at some point, k- power don't.
I ordered some.
Specs from k-power are real, sav÷x are fake...
gt racing is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 07:22 AM
  #34  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gt racing View Post
K-Power IS manufacturer.
Again, my friend tested them all, all failed at some point, k- power don't.
I ordered some.
Specs from k-power are real, sav÷x are fake...
Easy to test rate claims, I will do for the ones I have.

Let me know when the servos arrive, want to hear your review on them.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 07-15-2016, 06:04 AM
  #35  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Karlskrona, Sweden
Posts: 112
Default

Originally Posted by Andyg01 View Post
I suspect that the heat in Spain and a long final what caused the problem for Battle and Ronnefalk.

I wonder if either of them have the balls to post what the actual issue was ... we all guess the motor failed by becoming too hot.

The brand is damaged by the double failure especially in such a high profile event.
It have well communicated what the issue was (doesn't need special balls).
Gas servo stopped working for some reason and they are sent to the manufacture so they can check it. It's easy to say that they was over heated, but until we really know we don't speculate.

1/2 lap before Davids car stopped is also stopped a few seconds in front of the spectator stand and we in pit directly understod that it was som electrical issue.
Both Robert and Battle felt some gas/break issues on laps before.
Robot could enter the track again and drove one more lap before he had to retire.

Davids servo was dead, i turned off/on the power and it was the same. After the technical inspection after the race, it worked again.

This is the true facts, and it was no engine issue as the said on the broadcast. we stopped the engine when the car was carried into the pits.
PiRo is offline  
Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 AM
  #36  
Tech Fanatic
 
tom1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: la maddalena italy
Posts: 970
Default

Originally Posted by Danny Teh View Post
I had used Highest before.

The specs is good. To good to be true.

The servo doesnt go with LIPO battery as the amp and volt stays high after 30 mins and it literally overheats it with hot engine and hot weather..........

but it is not broken. After it cools down.
...it is working again. Some thermal / electronics shutdown to keep the servo safe.....

But in a cold weather condition. It will have no problem.

In Asia, we used life or Li Ion like receiver battery and stay away from Lipo.....it didnt create problems to Highest but many reputated brands too were hit bad. Weather seems extremely hot nowadays..............we ought to be careful now with the equipment we are running now.......

just my opinion.......
Where you buy lion battery?
How many volt lion battery?
How mutch cost lion battery?
If I want use 1 lion battery in my losi 4.0 which battery I can buy?
tom1974 is offline  
Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 AM
  #37  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (15)
 
HaulinBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: grande prairie alberta canada
Posts: 3,091
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
I have run some stuff from Protek's OEMs like lipos, was thoroughly disappointed, also the stuff Protek rebrands is available in other places way cheaper.

My current servos are 7-8 years old, they never rested. One of them the gears were changed this year and the other one of the motor tabs broke, re-soldered and it's still going. These servos.

I wouldn't say that for the price this servo is good, as it's one of the cheapest servos I bought new. It's weird, as it's the econo range but it's quality and performs as good as better servos, can't imagine if I go for the upper echelon.
you should try the pos igniters protek puts out, good for one start on a charge lol
HaulinBass is online now  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:24 AM
  #38  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 154
Default

Originally Posted by Danny Teh View Post
I had used Highest before.

The specs is good. To good to be true.

The servo doesnt go with LIPO battery as the amp and volt stays high after 30 mins and it literally overheats it with hot engine and hot weather..........

but it is not broken. After it cools down....it is working again. Some thermal / electronics shutdown to keep the servo safe.....

But in a cold weather condition. It will have no problem.

In Asia, we used life or Li Ion like receiver battery and stay away from Lipo.....it didnt create problems to Highest but many reputated brands too were hit bad. Weather seems extremely hot nowadays..............we ought to be careful now with the equipment we are running now.......

just my opinion.......
Here is Korea. Highest made in Korea. We all use Lipo.
xtaiji is offline  
Old 07-15-2016, 09:22 AM
  #39  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
Danny Teh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 8,508
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xtaiji View Post
Here is Korea. Highest made in Korea. We all use Lipo.
Good you can use lipo in korea.....your weather might be cooler but we cannot risk in South East Asia.....weather is too hot........

Some countries like South East Asia it is very hot.............our normal temperature ranges 34-38 approx degrees celcius....engine runs hot 110 - 135 degrees approx celcius.....so that is our problem.

IF we run LIPO here. Chances the servo overheats and short life are very high.........ALL types of servos ran into problems here........And not just servos, PT and receivers might run into problems if the weather is at its hottest.

Our electronics here basically overheats when it gets too hot. It will shut down or stop. But not broken / spoilt.

After it cools off, all servo, PT or receiver will be working again........
Danny Teh is offline  
Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 AM
  #40  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PiRo View Post
It have well communicated what the issue was (doesn't need special balls).
Gas servo stopped working for some reason and they are sent to the manufacture so they can check it. It's easy to say that they was over heated, but until we really know we don't speculate.

1/2 lap before Davids car stopped is also stopped a few seconds in front of the spectator stand and we in pit directly understod that it was som electrical issue.
Both Robert and Battle felt some gas/break issues on laps before.
Robot could enter the track again and drove one more lap before he had to retire.

Davids servo was dead, i turned off/on the power and it was the same. After the technical inspection after the race, it worked again.

This is the true facts, and it was no engine issue as the said on the broadcast. we stopped the engine when the car was carried into the pits.
Thanks for letting us know, so it's a servo issue and not a transmitter/receiver issue? And only affected the throttle servo?

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
you should try the pos igniters protek puts out, good for one start on a charge lol
Good heavens, are they disposable?
30Tooth is offline  
Old 07-16-2016, 09:56 AM
  #41  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 388
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PiRo View Post
It have well communicated what the issue was (doesn't need special balls).
Gas servo stopped working for some reason and they are sent to the manufacture so they can check it. It's easy to say that they was over heated, but until we really know we don't speculate.

1/2 lap before Davids car stopped is also stopped a few seconds in front of the spectator stand and we in pit directly understod that it was som electrical issue.
Both Robert and Battle felt some gas/break issues on laps before.
Robot could enter the track again and drove one more lap before he had to retire.

Davids servo was dead, i turned off/on the power and it was the same. After the technical inspection after the race, it worked again.

This is the true facts, and it was no engine issue as the said on the broadcast. we stopped the engine when the car was carried into the pits.
I look forward to your post after the inspection why it stopped .... you might need even bigger balls to post (I am teasing)

If it is heat, he might be concerned in Las Vegas at the Worlds
Andyg01 is offline  
Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 AM
  #42  
dtr
Tech Master
 
dtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: budapest, hungary
Posts: 1,662
Default

Originally Posted by Andyg01 View Post
If it is heat, he might be concerned in Las Vegas at the Worlds
How about some heat conducting tape between chassis and servo?
dtr is offline  
Old 07-17-2016, 11:13 AM
  #43  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 388
Default

can't see that working, it has a thing called a motor running at 200F, but having said that, I have never check the temp of a chassis yet ..food for thought
Andyg01 is offline  
Old 07-17-2016, 11:42 AM
  #44  
dtr
Tech Master
 
dtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: budapest, hungary
Posts: 1,662
Default

Chassis is only warm under the motor/engine mount. Servo mounts are plastic on almost every 1/8th car I saw, and there's barely any airflow in that cramped area. I guess on nitro cars metal servo mounts would cause too much vibration, so some soft heat transfer agent is necessary.
dtr is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.