Wiki Posts
Search

Custom Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Custom Project

Hey guys,

New to the forum, but I'm working on a custom project and have a pretty unique need.

Anyone know if/where I can find CV shafts that are designed to carry 3524.44 oz-in of torque?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Fairly certain no one on here calculates the amount of torque their cv's can hold. We don't worry about tensile strength of our shafts. If they break we replace them. I think you should do use more importantly on the length of shaft you need. That would be vital in the amount of torque it could handle before deforming.

What are you working on an engineering project?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

I have flexibility on the length of the shaft, but I'm mostly worried about torque.

I think the CV shaft I need is somewhere between RC and ATV but I'm not sure if such a thing even exists.

Another approach I was thinking of was looking into Off-road RC crawlers, seeing what types of motors they use and try to back out a torque based on gear ratios in between the power source (motor or engine) and wheel hub.

Does that seem reasonable?
Old 06-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Rc crawlers never see much torque at all. You have to think of weight load. They don't use them to pull anything so they only have to withstand the torque needed to move the relatively light crawler. I think you would be better suited looking into either the axles from a 1/5 scale vehicle such as a Baja 5b/t etc or look into the drive shafts from a 50 size kids quad.

The highest torque:stress ratio vehicles would be those used in rc tractor pull style competitions. What are you trying to build. You haven't disclosed such a fact yet and that could be vital to anyone producing an idea of any use.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1/5 scale would be your best bet i reckon, those things weigh heaps and go like a bat out of hell