Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Trackstar SEG .21 >

Trackstar SEG .21

Trackstar SEG .21

Old 05-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Trackstar SEG .21

Picked up one of this motors as my first nitro motor with the intention to race as they advertised as a "race engine". I ran 30% VP power master fuel and it does run good. Break in was easy and smooth according to my friends that help me as Im not experienced with nitro. I tried tuning it myself and it was ok to me (my low end was out I think). The point is that some people told me that this engines were no good for racing and just ok for bashing and playing. I raced last weekend and put it to the A main and took 6th overall and there were some of the fast guys in the area I live. Never flame out or hesitated, ran 8 mins between refuels and ran 1 second behind the fast laps. I am not trying to say that it is better or to par with say like an O.S. or a Novarossi but shoot, it hung with them and beat at least 20 name brand ones. I am intending to race this one until I save enough to get an O.S. or a Protek samurai. But for now Ill give them hell with a $56 motor.

Conclusion: Don't be fooled by the price tag or the name, this little suckers are great for starters or as a backup motor.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Change your fuel asap.

I personally know the owner of VP and their headquarters is only 45min from my house. I have used VP products for well over 20yrs but I refuse to run their "R/C related" products. Although it makes decent power it is one of the most corrosive fuels on the market. Unless you enjoy throughly cleaning your engine's internals after every time you run it then I'd change fuels.

I know others will argue the above statement. However, I am constantly testing fuels, engines and pipes. I see first hand what fuels offer superior lubrication and lack of corrosive impurities. I also see first hand what fuels cause corrosion and lack of lubrication.

If any shops in your area sell Byrons then you need to start running it. That is if you care about your engine.

If you switch over to Byrons (highly recommend) you need to throughly clean the engine's internals first.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Suspended

The attached pictures show what VP pro race 30% did to a stock LRP .30.

It was run for less than a gallon (including break in). It then sat for nearly a month. While sitting it became completely corroded.
Attached Thumbnails Trackstar SEG .21-screenshot_2016-05-09-14-44-31-1.jpg   Trackstar SEG .21-fb_img_1462658646531-1-1.jpg   Trackstar SEG .21-fb_img_1462658673252-1.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

After run oil would prevent that from happen i guess.. been run vp fuel with no such problem.. even leave the engine for 6weeks.. but aro before storage..
Old 05-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Suspended

After run oil only helps to a small degree.

This is not the only engine that became corroded with use of only VP pro race 30.

7 in total and they were over a 2yr spread. That way people can't say "it was probably a bad batch".
I hate to even share this info because the owner of VP is a great guy.

I know they are testing new oils and lubrication properties. Hopefully the R&D team creates something better.