Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is new Tekno NB48.4 coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Tech Champion

the point about choosing the right car for you is to keep it a long time

the longer you keep a buggy the faster you become.. once you're used to a car you stop thinking too much about it and focus on driving

so yes at the start the choice does matter.. I always advice to buy a buggy that you'll able to improve through the years.. from a brand that is NOT redesigning everything all the time
Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Yet the D8 was World Champion against the MP9 TKI and finished second position the next WC. Short arm suspensions work good in less conditions than long arm suspension designs and require different tuning technique (they naturally roll more, making them suited to lower grip tracks) but on a track with a very mixed layout it's a wash. No buggy works good 100% of the time. That's why we that run older platforms rely on luck most of the time

30Tooth, I read your previous post about the short vs long arm suspensions having more of an impact that pillow ball vs. C-hub / C-link.

I believe you categorized the Losi and the Mugen as short arm setups and the Kyosho and Hot Bodies as a long arm setup.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, where does the Tekno NB48.3 land? That new Serpent SRX8 looks great too - however I cannot tell if its short or long arm based.. its definitely C-hub.

Thanks again, Jeff Check
Old 05-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by twistedneck
30Tooth, I read your previous post about the short vs long arm suspensions having more of an impact that pillow ball vs. C-hub / C-link.

I believe you categorized the Losi and the Mugen as short arm setups and the Kyosho and Hot Bodies as a long arm setup.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, where does the Tekno NB48.3 land? That new Serpent SRX8 looks great too - however I cannot tell if its short or long arm based.. its definitely C-hub.

Thanks again, Jeff Check
The tekno is a Losi style c-hub and therefore short arm. If there's an outer hinge pin like the Hot Bodies D8 then it's as short as the arm can be, if the steering block is screwed to the arm like the JQ THE Car and X-ray XB9 it's medium length and if the c-hub has the outer hinge after the steering block screw like the new Serpent, the Kyosho and the D815 it's long arm. The Mugen style is related to the medium length arm.
The longer the arm the stable the car is, then there's the cars with longer front arms than rear arms, like THE Car, the MP9 and possibly the MBX7 and the Losi which feel somewhat faster to drive.
Unfortunately I don't know much about teknos specifically but this post should help you, if you are interested in more just ask.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
The tekno is a Losi style c-hub and therefore short arm. If there's an outer hinge pin like the Hot Bodies D8 then it's as short as the arm can be, if the steering block is screwed to the arm like the JQ THE Car and X-ray XB9 it's medium length and if the c-hub has the outer hinge after the steering block screw like the new Serpent, the Kyosho and the D815 it's long arm. The Mugen style is related to the medium length arm.
The longer the arm the stable the car is, then there's the cars with longer front arms than rear arms, like THE Car, the MP9 and possibly the MBX7 and the Losi which feel somewhat faster to drive.
Unfortunately I don't know much about teknos specifically but this post should help you, if you are interested in more just ask.
Very informative - if you look at the average pricing for the long arm cars its about $50-100 more than the short arm and $150 more than the medium cars with the pillow ball suspension. that's pretty consistent too.

Then you have the obvious point, world champions don't care - Tessman, Tebo, and Boots long arm, Lutz and Maifield short arm, Cavalieri and Ronnefalk medium arm pillow ball..

So all are ripper fast if need be is just what is your preference I guess. And from an engineering perspective the long arm seems to be most advantageous and most expensive to manufacture.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://stories.jqracing.com/white-edition-explained/

About half way down the page is good description of what is being discussed here
Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would like to see how well a pillow ball suspension would work on a narrow platform like the Tekno.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
I would like to see how well a pillow ball suspension would work on a narrow platform like the Tekno.
sworkz be1 went there, now they are going to a wider setup..
Attached Thumbnails When is new Tekno NB48.4 coming out?-be1.jpg  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by twistedneck
That design is a year old now..
The Kyosho is pretty much basicly the same car as it was in 2008 when the MP9 first came out, although they have made numerous tweaks to it. Seems to work.
Mugen - again a case of, small tweaks, small updates.. still same general car as three years ago.

The general rule of thumb with the 1/8 cars is a car platform usually tends to last about 4 years.

As for the long arm vs short arm, I always felt like the cars that had the short rear arms with the wide centre mount gave a different driving sensation, more of a twitchyness and less stable, and you have to get on the power more smoothly or they'll suddenly release.
I think this can easily be explained by looking at a long arm and a short arm car from the rear, then grabbing the rear wing/mount and twisting/rotating it. You will then see that the short arm car when rolled, induces a large height difference in the arms. Which is probably what causes the much more sudden release.