Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Serpent SRX-8 Nitro buggy >

Serpent SRX-8 Nitro buggy

Like Tree128Likes

Serpent SRX-8 Nitro buggy

Old 10-16-2022, 06:26 PM
  #1051  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

I already have the aluminum chassis braces. the mono engine mount, the lightened hex hubs, shock shafts, and carbon inserts...
dre305 is offline  
Old 10-16-2022, 08:37 PM
  #1052  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Burned another quart through the maxy engine. The new clutch shoes fixed the issue I had last time with the engine idling. No broken parts and made some adjustments which made the car handle so much better. New pills in the rear helped clean up some slop. I added more rear toe, less anti squat, stiffer front springs blue front and stayed with pink rear. lower ride height 23/25, and all carbon clutch shoes. Car felt much more planted in the corners.






wely324 is offline  
Old 10-17-2022, 07:48 AM
  #1053  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dre305 View Post
Hi! I put together an SRX8 Kit in 2018 and never finished it. So I want to get back to it and finish it and was wondering what upgrades have been made to the chassis with the EVO/PRO versions that I should make; and also, what engine/ pipe combo is good and what electronics package should I be looking at. Sorry if I seem ignorant, but this is the first kit I build since the late 90's and even in 2018 when I put this together things were very different than I remembered. I have a Sanyo M12 radio kicking around, so I need receiver, servos, and battery pack. Thanks for the help!
Just build the car with the parts you have, you really don't need anymore upgrade parts. The aluminum chassis braces are also not necessarily an upgrade.

As for the items you need to finish the build, it all really depends on the budget you want to spend.
DasMikro makes a $30 sanwa rx, grab a LiFe battery (no risk of lipo fire). As for servos you could spend 300 on savox, or go with a no name brand and save a few bucks.
As for engine, i'd look for something that comes pre broken in or a used engine. SO many options for a buggy out there, I'd just stick with something reliable as any .21 will have enough power. I had a Novarossi that wasn't the most powerful but so reliable, I got it off the forum here used. Always started right up and would idle forever.

Is this a shelf queen, a race build, or something to just have fun with at a local track? What you are trying to get out of it may guide you in the right direction as for what to buy to finish the build.
wely324 is offline  
Old 10-17-2022, 01:46 PM
  #1054  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by wely324 View Post
Just build the car with the parts you have, you really don't need anymore upgrade parts. The aluminum chassis braces are also not necessarily an upgrade.

As for the items you need to finish the build, it all really depends on the budget you want to spend.
DasMikro makes a $30 sanwa rx, grab a LiFe battery (no risk of lipo fire). As for servos you could spend 300 on savox, or go with a no name brand and save a few bucks.
As for engine, i'd look for something that comes pre broken in or a used engine. SO many options for a buggy out there, I'd just stick with something reliable as any .21 will have enough power. I had a Novarossi that wasn't the most powerful but so reliable, I got it off the forum here used. Always started right up and would idle forever.

Is this a shelf queen, a race build, or something to just have fun with at a local track? What you are trying to get out of it may guide you in the right direction as for what to buy to finish the build.
Just something to have fun with at the local track. Ill race it when I can... There are a few Novarossi engines on eBay brand new that I've been looking at, otherwise I always liked OS in the past. I guess my most doubt comes from the radio gear, Maybe I don't need something at the very top end of the spectrum, but seems silly to skimp on an already pricey platform.
dre305 is offline  
Old 10-17-2022, 01:56 PM
  #1055  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by wely324 View Post
Just build the car with the parts you have, you really don't need anymore upgrade parts. The aluminum chassis braces are also not necessarily an upgrade.

As for the items you need to finish the build, it all really depends on the budget you want to spend.
DasMikro makes a $30 sanwa rx, grab a LiFe battery (no risk of lipo fire). As for servos you could spend 300 on savox, or go with a no name brand and save a few bucks.
As for engine, i'd look for something that comes pre broken in or a used engine. SO many options for a buggy out there, I'd just stick with something reliable as any .21 will have enough power. I had a Novarossi that wasn't the most powerful but so reliable, I got it off the forum here used. Always started right up and would idle forever.

Is this a shelf queen, a race build, or something to just have fun with at a local track? What you are trying to get out of it may guide you in the right direction as for what to buy to finish the build.
Ive read the plastic ones warp frequently, I figure there's other ways to find flex in the chassis if necessary. My question about upgrades relates more to the steering changes that were made from V1 (like I have) and the the newer kits; steering blocks also I believe....
dre305 is offline  
Old 10-17-2022, 03:27 PM
  #1056  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
savage24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,070
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dre305 View Post
Hi! I put together an SRX8 Kit in 2018 and never finished it. So I want to get back to it and finish it and was wondering what upgrades have been made to the chassis with the EVO/PRO versions that I should make; and also, what engine/ pipe combo is good and what electronics package should I be looking at. Sorry if I seem ignorant, but this is the first kit I build since the late 90's and even in 2018 when I put this together things were very different than I remembered. I have a Sanyo M12 radio kicking around, so I need receiver, servos, and battery pack. Thanks for the help!
Option parts needed? None if you're not looking to race competitively every weekend. The stock SRX8 is a great buggy.

Engine (mid-tier): https://www.amainhobbies.com/flash-p...r2506/p1262874
Servos: https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...k-130t/p228476
Receiver: Any FH4 compatible receiver. Aftermarket ones work great.
Battery: https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-2...c27313/p696814

savage24x is offline  
Old 10-17-2022, 04:09 PM
  #1057  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dre305 View Post
Ive read the plastic ones warp frequently, I figure there's other ways to find flex in the chassis if necessary. My question about upgrades relates more to the steering changes that were made from V1 (like I have) and the the newer kits; steering blocks also I believe....
Iíve had my car for 3 years and bought it used. Itís an evo that has been converted to pro aside from the diffs. Most days I run straight for an hour or so. My biggest issue has been some screws mainly the servo arm screw coming loose. No warped chassis braces. And most of the pro parts are tuning options.
wely324 is offline  
Old 10-17-2022, 05:40 PM
  #1058  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 222
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23403495919...mis&media=COPY

This is great engine for the money, dlc crank, easy to tune, ton of power.
bratan is offline  
Old 10-17-2022, 11:47 PM
  #1059  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by bratan View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23403495919...mis&media=COPY

This is great engine for the money, dlc crank, easy to tune, ton of power.
wow, great price! curious on their reliability and parts availability?
wely324 is offline  
Old 10-18-2022, 07:16 PM
  #1060  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 222
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wely324 View Post
wow, great price! curious on their reliability and parts availability?
I have my for only short period of time and theres not many info online about them. For what I know, David Ronefalk used to run these while he was in HB racing and these motors were 400+$
from what I've seen, all parts are available thru absolute hobbies, but at this moment piston and sleve kit are out off stock.
they do have p/s kits for the 3port motors.
bratan is offline  
Old 10-19-2022, 12:51 PM
  #1061  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
Option parts needed? None if you're not looking to race competitively every weekend. The stock SRX8 is a great buggy.

Engine (mid-tier)
Servos:
Receiver: Any FH4 compatible receiver. Aftermarket ones work great.
Battery:

That engine is out of stock...Whats the consensus on a Novarossi Memphisto? Found one NOS for pretty cheap. Had to delete the links to reply...
dre305 is offline  
Old 10-19-2022, 04:00 PM
  #1062  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dre305 View Post
That engine is out of stock...Whats the consensus on a Novarossi Memphisto? Found one NOS for pretty cheap. Had to delete the links to reply...
good motor but with Nova out of business finding parts for it down the road will be near impossible.
wely324 is offline  
Old 10-22-2022, 09:35 AM
  #1063  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 382
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Love this buggy!



wely324 is offline  
Old 10-31-2022, 04:28 AM
  #1064  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 13
Default

Hello everyone, is there a body perfectly compatible with the original serpent ones?
pennesw is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.