Serpent SRX-8 Nitro buggy >

Serpent SRX-8 Nitro buggy

Like Tree51Likes

Serpent SRX-8 Nitro buggy

Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
With it being available for a few buggies now, Billy oughtta have a talk with MÕP about making a version of their Bypass1 system to fit Serpentís latest SRX-8 shocks. Years of sim racing have taught me what a valuable adjustment shock rebound is when you can tune it separately from the compression rate; it like having two different weight oils for each.

I havenít seen the particulars, but Iím going to venture and say that the new SRX-8 GTís shocks are just shorter versions of the buggyís. If so, the ability to use them on the GT as well would have a great impact toward tuning corner entry and corner exit grip on that car, as rebound controls the speed of the weight transfer from front to rear, and vice-versa.

Anyway, on paper itís a great adjustment to have - at least Adam Drake raves about it in a YouTube video he recently posted. I know that Serpent on road cars used to have a valved shock option included in the kits many years ago, but they were a pain to build properly. As a result, most people just used the standard pistons.
Buy the Mugen set from MIP. Exact same.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
Buy the Mugen set from MIP. Exact same.
Ah, good to know! I figured that there might be another buggy with the same shock bore size, but wasnít sure if the shaft size/mounti would be the same.

That being said, it would be advantageous for MIP to market that kit accordingly. Getting 2 part numbers out of one product is certainly a nice advantage. 🙂
Old 08-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

SRX8 Pro Build - Day 1 - Kaos!

Left work early to be able to go home and start the build of the new SRX8 Pro Off-Road Buggy.

Got my work bench cleaned out and laid out all the bags and parts needed for the build

Diff build, as any SRX8 diff, grease the groove in the outdrives, grease o-ring, place sun gears and shims. This is where it just sent my build into a spiral of loss time and stress. One of the shims that go behind the sun gear fell on the floor. Went to look for it and could not find it. Here we go with a slight off-topic as to what made my afternoon night debacle. I did find a small puddle of water under my 72 Chevy Nova. At first I thought it was coolant, due to the water puddle having a red hue in it. But it turned out to be water that was seeping from the floor drain plug. My heart sank, I open the passenger door, place my hand on the carpet and water just seeped through my fingers. I was WTF just happened here, it then clicked. The AC drain hose came loose, I have the Vintage-Air system which sits inside the cabin under the dash. Either way, removed the rug, vacuum, and placed my dehumidifier inside and went back to my scavenger hunt of this 3.5x12x0.2 metal shim. I finally found it after 2hours of searching on the other side of the garage. by this time it was already 9pm and I started this great car build at around 5pm.

Back to the SRX8 build. Before you even start with Bag-1 you have the three diff bags

I did find that the ring on the front and rear diffs have very to none tolerance and they are hard to put on. As you can see in the picture below, the ring scratched the outside of the diff case. So make sure to test fit the ring to the diff prior to the initial build of adding fluid and such to the front/rear diffs. I used the supply silicone oils for it as well, 5000CST front, 5000cst center and 3000cst rear. Want to see how the car does with the stock setup.

Bag 1
Brake system, center diff. Nothing special, follow the instructions. I left the two brake cam wires loose for now until I have the servo brake linkages installed, this way I can adjust it after and tighten the set screws.

After building the brake and center diff mount it was time to mount it to the chassis.

Bag 2, 3, 4, and 5 build the rear end of the car

And the rear end finally finished and mounted as well.

Tonight will continue with the rest of the car. I hope to have it finished by tomorrow midday at least so I can go to the track and try it out.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

With it being available for a few buggies now, Billy oughtta have a talk with MÕP about making a version of their Bypass1 system to fit Serpentís latest SRX-8 shocks.
I know first hand a couple guys are using them. I'm not sure which ones (HB, AE, Mugen, Kyosho, JQ) but they love them.*
Old 08-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chad Millikan View Post
I know first hand a couple guys are using them. I'm not sure which ones (HB, AE, Mugen, Kyosho, JQ) but they love them.*
Iíll bet they do... 🙂 and based on the comment above, itís the Mugen Seiki ones.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Just out of curiousity, Sebtarta, is that a ďProĒ sticker on the box? I noticed that my 4X Pro just had a sticker on it... as if they recycled old 4X boxes when they put the kit together (it just has an original 4X logo on the back).
Old 08-12-2019, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

Just out of curiousity, Sebtarta, is that a ďProĒ sticker on the box? I noticed that my 4X Pro just had a sticker on it... as if they recycled old 4X boxes when they put the kit together (it just has an original 4X logo on the back).

I checked the box and indeed, it does have a sticker over the 'EVO' i presume.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Day 2 and 3 combined.

Bag 7, 8 and 9 finish the front end installation.

Bag 10, be prepared to use all the force of superman in order to set the steering linkages at 9mm, had to use a pair of pliers in order to finish the last 3mm on each side to reach the required 9mm.

Front and rear installed on the chassis.

Bag 11 and 12 are for the side guards and the radio tray. Now the radio try once you figure out the wiring, it works wonders. Very clean install, no wires to be seen. I used a SkyRC power switch, made a small cut on the switch tray cover to allow the wires to feed in. I then send the battery lead to the battery location where the battery plugs to it. This way I can open the cover remove the battery and charge it properly. I placed all the servo cables and such right under the transponder.

And the radio tray with all electronics installed.

Bag 16 - Engine mounts, flywheel, clutch shoes and clutch bell.

Tan into a problem where the carb of the Novarossi P5xl would hit the plastic disc cover, did not matter how I would rotate the carb it would not allow for the engine to align properly on the engine mount. I ended up trimming some of the cover off to allow the carb to rotate. Now on the SRX8 FB group chat, many have mentioned that they did not run into this problem with the same engine as mine. So now I am wondering why I ran into this minor step back. Easy fix though.

After some hours the car was finally done.

In all I enjoyed the build. Have not done a new kit since my old Serpent 720 onroad kit. Have not had the chance to drive the car yet as the rain took over the weekend. I almost want to order a second one to have it as a shelf queen.

TurnNBurn, uDi_MP7.5 and savage24x like this.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

Get the alloy sway bar retaining nuts. Wished the kit would come with those. The 811 car did.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

A away I've always done my turnbuckles was to pre thread them. Put the turnbuckle in a drill and hold the ball link with a crescent wrench, pre thread only as deep as the ball link is, also don't go fast or else your kinda melt the plastic.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Perhaps itís a minor thing, but I love the design detail of having a dedicated spot for the transponder in the radio box - very clean and a nice touch!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Get the alloy sway bar retaining nuts. Wished the kit would come with those. The 811 car did.

You mean the nut for the pivot ball sway bar?

If so I already have plenty of these. I will change it when I go through the car after 1hour of use.

Perhaps it’s a minor thing, but I love the design detail of having a dedicated spot for the transponder in the radio box - very clean and a nice touch!
Yes I really like that. Billy did a nice job with the minor details.

Last edited by sebtarta; 08-14-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

sebtarta rear shock tower is on backwards the indentations are for where the shock standoffs sit in.
ZEe_NYC likes this.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by J.Whiting View Post
sebtarta rear shock tower is on backwards the indentations are for where the shock standoffs sit in.

I understand that it seems to be backwards, but if you look at my picture and the one from Serpent, you will see that the front part of the rear shock standoff has the cut out for the diff case. Plus the Serpent name always reads from left to right from the front of the car. But thanks for looking out though. I am still not able to drive the car thanks to the weather!

I did buy the aluminum servo horns, and the ProTek servo mounts as well. Will swap them tonight if I have time. At the same time I scored for $210 shipped another SRX8 EVO with tons of parts, so my parts bank is all set as well.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sebtarta View Post
I understand that it seems to be backwards, but if you look at my picture and the one from Serpent, you will see that the front part of the rear shock standoff has the cut out for the diff case. Plus the Serpent name always reads from left to right from the front of the car. But thanks for looking out though. I am still not able to drive the car thanks to the weather!

I did buy the aluminum servo horns, and the ProTek servo mounts as well. Will swap them tonight if I have time. At the same time I scored for $210 shipped another SRX8 EVO with tons of parts, so my parts bank is all set as well.
$210

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service