Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree70Likes

TLR 8ight-T 4.0!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

The stock clutch shoea are fantastic. TLR clutch is probably one of the best ever IMO

I've used the stock clutch for years with great wear. Have ran the Novarosai Mito 7, Speed Spec 2, and Samurai with alloy carbon shoes. All ran great with the clutch.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
The stock clutch shoea are fantastic. TLR clutch is probably one of the best ever IMO

I've used the stock clutch for years with great wear. Have ran the Novarosai Mito 7, Speed Spec 2, and Samurai with alloy carbon shoes. All ran great with the clutch.
awesome, thats good to hear. Do you also use the recommended springs from the kit? I believe its the gold and green springs
Old 03-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cornonthecob
awesome, thats good to hear. Do you also use the recommended springs from the kit? I believe its the gold and green springs
yes on the springs.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

TLR has the best clutch set up iMO. Run stock set up.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys, New member here. It is great to find active forums these days...seems like faceb00k has killed all the good forums.

Anyways...after 15 years I have decided to get back into Nitro RC with the purchase of a TLR 8ight T 4.0 kit. I used to race/bash local Nitro 1/10 on-road up until 2004, stopped everything RC for a few years then I got heavy into scale crawling for the past 8 years.

My 8ight 4.0 build is almost done (need to finish electronics, and final setup before I can break in the engine. My question is about the discontinued TLR aluminum split center diff mount (originally made for the TLR 2.0). Is anyone using this mount? I have purchased one brand new in packaging locally for a $30 because it has been hanging on a rack collecting dust for the past few years at a LHS. I know I need a smaller Spur for it to work.

Just curious if anyone is using this piece on the 4.0 and if you have noticed any issues with it, or if it needed any modification to work? or did I just waste $30 haha?

Thank you.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GripTLR
Hey guys, New member here. It is great to find active forums these days...seems like faceb00k has killed all the good forums.

Anyways...after 15 years I have decided to get back into Nitro RC with the purchase of a TLR 8ight T 4.0 kit. I used to race/bash local Nitro 1/10 on-road up until 2004, stopped everything RC for a few years then I got heavy into scale crawling for the past 8 years.

My 8ight 4.0 build is almost done (need to finish electronics, and final setup before I can break in the engine. My question is about the discontinued TLR aluminum split center diff mount (originally made for the TLR 2.0). Is anyone using this mount? I have purchased one brand new in packaging locally for a $30 because it has been hanging on a rack collecting dust for the past few years at a LHS. I know I need a smaller Spur for it to work.

Just curious if anyone is using this piece on the 4.0 and if you have noticed any issues with it, or if it needed any modification to work? or did I just waste $30 haha?

Thank you.
what is the part# never seen anyone using that part
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

The split diff isnt really a big deal Removing the center diff for what ever reason isn't all that difficult. In truck you wont be changing diff fluids all that much anyway.

For 30 that's a great price on the unit.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
The split diff isnt really a big deal Removing the center diff for what ever reason isn't all that difficult. In truck you wont be changing diff fluids all that much anyway.

For 30 that's a great price on the unit.
Thanks. I picked it up because its a little bit of aluminum bling, and I liked the theory behind it.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jersey

what is the part# never seen anyone using that part
LOSA4444
jersey likes this.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

LOSA4444
It will fit fine. You may have to use 1mm spaces at the bottom to raise the spur up, but it's fine. IMO just makes the drive train noisy.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

It mounted up fine.

only "issue" was i could not use the little plastic brace that connects the radio box 3 arm linkage mount to the center diff mount.

not a big deal.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does everyone else have a half tank lean issue? Is there a work around for this?
Edit: its been a while since I have owned/tuned a nitro engine. I will tune it at half tank, and deal with it being slightly rich at full tank.

I am also trying to obtain more rear traction. The Novarossi .28-8 with a 7mm venturi running 20% Byron fuel, CT07 plug, and a 48T/14T gear setup likes to swing the rear end around. I have looked at the TLR setup sheets and found a few different rear camber link and shock location setups to try out. We will see what happens. I am trying not to change to much at a time so I can see what effects changes make.

Last edited by GripTLR; 03-18-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

It mounted up fine.

only "issue" was i could not use the little plastic brace that connects the radio box 3 arm linkage mount to the center diff mount.

not a big deal.
so there was no problem with hiegth of the spur or yours worked cause your not using 50/13 gearing? I believe that’s the gearing, I also have a couple aluminum center diff mounts I would like to use but I figured it would hit up top of the center gear. One thing I do know about the aluminum center diff mount is they make everything when you get on the gas really rigid and no flex or changing of the mesh which ultimately makes the throttle response feel like it hits harder (yes I actually feel this big time with this part) however this also leads to your clutch bell getting really notch very fast which’s makes your mesh get noisy. So it’s a give and take, I personally love them but only use them when they are needed.

I wonder if theres a way to get the plastic radio tray stiffener to mount?
GripTLR likes this.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt Piva

so there was no problem with hiegth of the spur or yours worked cause your not using 50/13 gearing? I believe that’s the gearing, I also have a couple aluminum center diff mounts I would like to use but I figured it would hit up top of the center gear. One thing I do know about the aluminum center diff mount is they make everything when you get on the gas really rigid and no flex or changing of the mesh which ultimately makes the throttle response feel like it hits harder (yes I actually feel this big time with this part) however this also leads to your clutch bell getting really notch very fast which’s makes your mesh get noisy. So it’s a give and take, I personally love them but only use them when they are needed.

I wonder if theres a way to get the plastic radio tray stiffener to mount?
Stock Gearing is 51/12. The 51T spur does not fit. I am using a 48/14.

I also ordered an M2Cracing.com Losi 3.0 aluminum radio tray stiffener which replaces the useless plastic stiffener that connects the radio tray to the center diff mount. Hopefully the M2C unit works, If not ill figure out what needs to change and bring it to work and have a machinist make me one with proper dimensions for the T 4.0.

As of now the 4.0 plastic radio tray stiffener does not work with the 2.0/3.0 aluminum center diff mount.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

what I need to find is a T 4.0 aluminum rear brace. The plastic one allows the chassis to flex, and I have noticed a half moon mark on the backside of my fuel tank from the face of the clutch bell gear. I wonder if aluminum gas tank post mounts would solve that issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.