Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree105Likes

TLR 8ight 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8ight 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: racer1812
Welcome to the 8ight 4.0 Wiki!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Most of the expert/pro drivers at my track are using J&T bearings they are really good bearing clutch and car. They have a online store and stock other cool parts.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pat dillon

you must be professional driver knowing brand new bearing not perfect. I don’t have time to clean every bearing and oil.
Some call it being on top of your stuff, I call it a crazy obsession. I have 6 years with one of my old 3.0 Buggy’s I still love driving, a lot! I decided to really commit to cleaning all bearings out (taking seals off contact brake cleaner rinse) every 1-2 days of driving it in the last year, (insanity I know!!) they have lasted awhile but I run them with just the residue of wd white lithium and really as free as possible, certain bearings I’ve ran without a shield on one side (like in wheel bearings and the pinion lol) because they are not actually keeping dirt out.. . Kinda sketchy if u don’t clean them a lot tho! fresh losi bearing takes a minute to break in but not long if all are the same and greased, u won’t notice it.

My 4.0 is all greased up still after like 6 times at the track, I plan on cleaning them all out fully tho, I like the feel. You can’t mix greased and ungreased bearing when one fails or needs a change, especially on the wheel bearings!! It just throws it off.

This is why I’m looking to upgrade to some alternative bearing to clean out and test to see how they perform. Im not worried about them failing, I cleaned a stock set a lot in the 3.0 and watched them last a ridiculous amount of time with only a few I needed to change!

I tried this with tko, it was my first set I took apart a long time ago. Didn’t work out but I notice they have a lot more balls then stock. Pretty cool the stuff u see in bearings!! Then the seals, makes u wanna go buy the most expensive boca kit they sell for the 8!! But I know there’s probably a cheaper version you can get that doesn’t have the big name but maybe still close in performance and quality!

Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wfo
Most of the expert/pro drivers at my track are using J&T bearings they are really good bearing clutch and car. They have a online store and stock other cool parts.
that’s a really great website man, thank you!! I really like some of the ceramics for 5 bucks! Do you just get the kit bearings? I’m not really into one side being a metal seal but I see the individuals are a buck and they are both rubber! I’m gonna get to finding some more I like, I see they have like thrust bearings in clutch size, that’s the craziest bearing!! Wonder if they r made for clutch bearings lol
Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva

I’m pretty sensitive to my bearings not being cleaned out. A new untouched bearing in my buggy would throw the car outta whack where I could notice it. I run a set of bearings awhile so I’m ready for a step up so they last longer being messed with so much
Must be that hidden speed JQ talks about. I can't tell difference between a 1 dollar or 3 dollar bearing.
So you take a brand new bearing and clean all the grease out that someone specifically designed to have grease or lubricant in their bearings?
I bet if you took a TKO bearing for the clutch and left them the way they are probably last a long time. I know pros like Ryan Lutz swear by the TKO bearings for the clutch bell.
token likes this.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maddog9
Must be that hidden speed JQ talks about. I can't tell difference between a 1 dollar or 3 dollar bearing.
So you take a brand new bearing and clean all the grease out that someone specifically designed to have grease or lubricant in their bearings?
I bet if you took a TKO bearing for the clutch and left them the way they are probably last a long time. I know pros like Ryan Lutz swear by the TKO bearings for the clutch bell.
lolol ---- I like Avid bearings. Been running them in my cars for years and never had an issue with them. At $1 each. there is no maintenance, toss em and install a fresh one, done.....
maddog9 and TheWorstDriver like this.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by maddog9
dude don’t put me in the same category as jq, you don’t know who I am. You didn’t even go look at my post after that comment regarding why I said that! don’t talk down to people you don’t know, you would be surprised who I really am behind this alias. I’ve tested this and the difference for years on this matter. It’s absolutly noticeable to any good driver, sorry your not one of them. If your really that dull to think cleaning out your bearings around an entire car and then throwing one greased bearing in won’t be a noticeable pull in a hub bearing, well then your not very on top of your stuff or don’t care. I’m meticulous about my stuff.

Last edited by Matt Piva; 02-13-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

dude don’t put me in the same category as jq, you don’t know who I am. You didn’t even go look at my post after that comment regarding why I said that! don’t talk down to people you don’t know, you would be surprised who I really am behind this alias. I’ve tested this and the difference for years on this matter. It’s absolutly noticeable to any good driver, sorry your not one of them. If your really that dull to think cleaning out your bearings around an entire car and then throwing one greased bearing in won’t be a noticeable pull in a hub bearing, well then your not very on top of your stuff or don’t care. I’m meticulous about my stuff.
Comparing or putting you in the same category as JQ is a compliment. I think JQ is hilarious and makes the hobby enjoyable. I also love all the out of the box testing he does to see what works and what doesn't.

I think a normal 1 dollar bearing such as ones from Avid Rc is perfectly fine. As soon as they get gritty toss it out put another one in. The only place i think bearings matter is in the clutch bell just because of the heat and strain.

So for a clutch bell i would say spend the extra money on something like a TKO bearing or a ceramic bearing.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pat dillon

you must be professional driver knowing brand new bearing not perfect. I don’t have time to clean every bearing and oil.
Seriously though...
Car bearings:
Keep in mind the cleaning process of your car. Using things like a WD-40 baths and air compressors will push debris into bearings and shorten the life of the bearing. You don't need to be a pro driver to understand this. I've run Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, and Avid bearings, I destroyed all of them with WD-40 and an air compressor. Later,.. I learned like everyone else eventually does that's BAD. lol. I use a dry brush for the main dirt, a light spray of simple green & with a rag, and a final touch of SC1 so dirt doesn't stick the next time. I avoid blowing wet cleaners and solvents into the bearings when dirt is present. I mostly ran Avid bearings and keep my stock ones as a backup, or run them only on the practice car. Replace as needed, but replacing in sets does help keep track of bearing life in certain parts of the car. For example: if a left rear wheel bearing is gritty and near failure, change both the left and right in a pair. If you do this you should have equal rotational resistance on both sides of the car if that matters to you. Admittedly, and from experience, most my bearing failures are self inflicted due to to improper cleaning.

Clutch bearings:
I run in multiple sets of bearings in during engine break-in, wipe them off, and set them aside for later use. When idling for break-in the excess grease comes out and leaves only whats needed a thin film. I now use the TKO in the race car, and Avid in the practice car.

If this was a 1/10th scale thread, cleaning your bearings and oiling them often might be the ticket. However this is 1/8th scale baby,.. run'em, hard, and have fun, dont spend your life oiling every bearing. This is only my opinion, but it was formed many years ago.

Cheers!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would suggest that you boys stop acting like school children and start acting civil towards each other. The other option is vacations from the site,
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver
Seriously though...
Car bearings:
Keep in mind the cleaning process of your car. Using things like a WD-40 baths and air compressors will push debris into bearings and shorten the life of the bearing. You don't need to be a pro driver to understand this. I've run Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, and Avid bearings, I destroyed all of them with WD-40 and an air compressor. Later,.. I learned like everyone else eventually does that's BAD. lol. I use a dry brush for the main dirt, a light spray of simple green & with a rag, and a final touch of SC1 so dirt doesn't stick the next time. I avoid blowing wet cleaners and solvents into the bearings when dirt is present. I mostly ran Avid bearings and keep my stock ones as a backup, or run them only on the practice car. Replace as needed, but replacing in sets does help keep track of bearing life in certain parts of the car. For example: if a left rear wheel bearing is gritty and near failure, change both the left and right in a pair. If you do this you should have equal rotational resistance on both sides of the car if that matters to you. Admittedly, and from experience, most my bearing failures are self inflicted due to to improper cleaning.

Clutch bearings:
I run in multiple sets of bearings in during engine break-in, wipe them off, and set them aside for later use. When idling for break-in the excess grease comes out and leaves only whats needed a thin film. I now use the TKO in the race car, and Avid in the practice car.

If this was a 1/10th scale thread, cleaning your bearings and oiling them often might be the ticket. However this is 1/8th scale baby,.. run'em, hard, and have fun, dont spend your life oiling every bearing. This is only my opinion, but it was formed many years ago.

Cheers!
sounds good. I also believe blowing into a bearing isn’t a good idea if one or both seals are on. I usually just take the seals off and let them sit in a medicine bottle of wd to dissolve or break down any grime. Then I put them in a clean bottle separate with white lithium, I really knock the bottle around to get anything still in the bearing out and then I clean them of access oil and clean the seals and move to the next one. I’ve been looking hard for a bearing that would be more free under the way I clean my bearings but I’m sure it’s not going to be much different. Part of this is just wanting to try something new, to see inside a different bearing that’s not a cheapo bearing and see what’s different. The seals probably make a big difference in prices. The tko bearings (like I said) were very different, more balls and should have been better however they were hard to pop seals off(it was my first time) and I think most got damaged. So unless I wanna just run them without seals I doubt they ever see the track again.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DRTMI
I would suggest that you boys stop acting like school children and start acting civil towards each other. The other option is vacations from the site,

My apologize to everyone. Won’t happen again lol we was just playing to hard.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DRTMI
But it was fun....
maddog9 likes this.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

The Tlr 8ight 4.0 tuning kit is at a new reduced price for anyone on the fence fyi
fastfreddie5754 likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Does anyone know where I could buy the fioroni aluminum diff case for a losi 8 ?? I’m having trouble finding one so if anyone has one they would part with I could really use it! My aluminum diff mount is putting so much torque on my diff the case is getting so hot the pins are melting in the grooves and making multiple diffs now (on my 3rd now) lock up. Here’s the exact one I’m looking for...

Last edited by Matt Piva; 05-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know where I could buy the fioroni aluminum diff case for a losi 8 ?? I’m having trouble finding one so if anyone has one they would part with I could really use it! My aluminum diff mount is putting so much torque on my diff the case is getting so hot the pins are melting in the grooves and making multiple diffs now (on my 3rd now) lock up. Here’s the exact one I’m looking for...
Ive run the alum diff mount in truck for years and never had an issue with the diff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.