Like Tree105Likes

TLR 8ight 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8ight 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: racer1812
Welcome to the 8ight 4.0 Wiki!

Print Wikipost

Old 11-02-2018, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WuNgUn
So, I just picked up a used 3.0 which has a few upgrades.
Generally, it needs some rebuilding with the drive/CV shaft pins, outdrives and cups...
Is it possible to use the 4.0 drive boots on my 3.0?
Or if not, can anyone recommend upgraded drives? Maybe universals? Or is it still better going with the standard dogbones ..?
Thanls
4.0 boots will not work and I was not a huge fan of them. I would just stick with the stock 3.0 CVs probably find them cheap on ebay.
WuNgUn likes this.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have all three sets for my 4.0, the dog bones are best but wear out fast. But they work the best. The new driveshafts in the tuning kit are really good in bumps and hold up the best but are expensive and u can’t use the boots. The stock 4.0 shafts have to have that collar to use the boots and they are different then the 3.0. the boots are not an improvement because they slow down your drivetrain a little.
WuNgUn likes this.

Last edited by Matt Piva; 11-05-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply guys...
I'll replace the cups and drive pins.
Going thru my 3.0, there are a lot of worn out drive parts. But what I find a little disconcerting, is how the parts are wearing...
For example, the axle drive cups show wear on the shaft that rides INSIDE the hub carriers, as if the cup shaft was spinning inside the inner bearing race. Same goes with the outdrives on the diffs. Same goes with the front A-arm pivot bushings. They've worn out the arms instead of the shaft wearing out the bushing! Thankfully the arms are cheap...

Another good example, which brings me to my next question...the shock caps. They have bushings in them, BUT my cap mounting holes are all elongated from the bushing play. I have to replace the expensive cups instead of the cheap bushings!

So question, I assume it's okay to go with the 4.0 bleeder caps as long as I get the 4.0 bushings as well, seeing as I have to replace the caps anyway...?

As far as rebuilding these worn parts, I'm gonna use tiny amounts of Loctite or maybe a touch of silicone where the bushings mount on the O.D. to ensure the moving parts work as designed.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry...checked the OP and saw that I also need the standoffs....
All good
Rfields likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Tech Initiate

So cross referencing the parts that I need with the 4.0 parts, I managed to upgrade to the 4.0 front spindles and carriers, rear carriers and CV axles F/R, the bleeder shock caps (and mounting hardware) and of course, drive boots.
It cost me less than $30 more than if I were to stick with the 3.0 parts. Well worth it...
Old 11-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Assembling front knuckle... I think this is how the instructions recommend the spindle height shims?
Is this hiw the team guys are setup?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Not a team guy but we always have run them the spindles high or opposite of what you have them. It seems to give more steering in the high position. The high location was very Similar to when we use to run truggy spindle carriers on the 3.0. I believed that's what the 4.0 is based off of just with up or down adjustment.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by maddog9
Not a team guy but we always have run them the spindles high or opposite of what you have them. It seems to give more steering in the high position. The high location was very Similar to when we use to run truggy spindle carriers on the 3.0. I believed that's what the 4.0 is based off of just with up or down adjustment.
Thanks for the reply... I'll make the change
Old 11-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Just rebuilt the front diff... And I'm wondering why the flange bearings are so sloppy....
It's as if they aren't captured in the diff housing tightly.
If I put them in one of the housing halfs, it looks right, snug.
But when the two halfs are bolted together, the bearing ID isn't being held.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Hey guy what’s a pretty upper quality of bearings I could get for my 4.0? I’ve tried the standard bearing kit but want to try something new. I’m looking for a mid upper quality to upper quality bearing, not afraid to look at individual bearings and even really high quality bearings for certain areas of the kit. I would really like to have a great set up threw out my buggy!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
Hey guy what’s a pretty upper quality of bearings I could get for my 4.0? I’ve tried the standard bearing kit but want to try something new. I’m looking for a mid upper quality to upper quality bearing, not afraid to look at individual bearings and even really high quality bearings for certain areas of the kit. I would really like to have a great set up threw out my buggy!
We use Avid bearings just regular 1 dollar a piece bearings.

For the clutch use TKO bearings they are about 3-3.20 a piece and well worth it!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

We use Avid bearings just regular 1 dollar a piece bearings.

For the clutch use TKO bearings they are about 3-3.20 a piece and well worth it!
Ive seen those before, great value for a decent bearing im sure but compared to the standard bearing they are half the price and I’m looking for something that will be better then the stock bearing. I clean and lube my bearings a lot so the seals need to last. I havnt had bad luck with the stock bearings but they don’t seem to keep the dirt out that good, awhile ago I tried a set of tko for the entire car and those seemed to be a little worse. I’m just wondering if certain bearings can keep the drivetrain a little bit more free of dirt.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Ive seen those before, great value for a decent bearing im sure but compared to the standard bearing they are half the price and I’m looking for something that will be better then the stock bearing. I clean and lube my bearings a lot so the seals need to last. I havnt had bad luck with the stock bearings but they don’t seem to keep the dirt out that good, awhile ago I tried a set of tko for the entire car and those seemed to be a little worse. I’m just wondering if certain bearings can keep the drivetrain a little bit more free of dirt.
Ya we don't oil any bearings. Once they get gritty we just toss them out. TKO just uses on the clutch bell bearings, i believe it blue seal to blue seal.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Ya we don't oil any bearings. Once they get gritty we just toss them out. TKO just uses on the clutch bell bearings, i believe it blue seal to blue seal.
I’m pretty sensitive to my bearings not being cleaned out. A new untouched bearing in my buggy would throw the car outta whack where I could notice it. I run a set of bearings awhile so I’m ready for a step up so they last longer being messed with so much
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I’m pretty sensitive to my bearings not being cleaned out. A new untouched bearing in my buggy would throw the car outta whack where I could notice it. I run a set of bearings awhile so I’m ready for a step up so they last longer being messed with so much
you must be professional driver knowing brand new bearing not perfect. I don’t have time to clean every bearing and oil.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.