Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cen matrix

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

doh... is this the buggy thread? i see theres one with the tr in it....

thanks guys, im not having the shafts fall out, but the rear shafts break at our track. its these cen shock, more notably the long ends in the rear. that allow too much leverage on the shaft right at the top of the threads..

i could break a shaft in one landed jump! my jammin never had that prob, neither does the tazer, or the str.... its these long ends..
im gonna try the short ones in the rear and see if it helps..

we have a BIG jump on our track, so its not like it breaks easy. but they do break. maybe these other guys dont fly as high? sure they go fast, but each lap were 15-20' in the air and flying 40+' long! its fun.... kinda hard on stuff, but fun!

Last edited by PQRS...; 06-12-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:14 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New Toy!!!

I just picked up a matrix for some fun, not gunna get into gas racing, but I figure this should be fun for around the house just bashin around. Any tips for the car before I go out and break something? I was reading about rear shock shafts being weak? Is this soemthing you think I will see just bashin around in the backyard? Well anyway, just wanted to stop in and say "hi". I'll be in here more often to check on tips and tricks.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

where can i pick up a cen rtr buggy under 450???
Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Google...

google Cen Matrix....can come up with some results. I know ehobbies has them for $399, amainhobbies has them for less, but there on back-order through there site. Just look around, you can find them for around $350 online.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

$399 @ http://machinesrchobbies.com/_wsn/page2.html and get $50 in free stuff this month.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

You can find them on ebay NIB even cheaper when they are listed. But for a sure fire place to go with Machine hobbies would be a good place to go.

As for any issues to look for with the RTR, I would say just make sure your linkages don't bind up against the body and use a different air filter than the stock unit. Also, the kit tires foam isn't that good, that will go pretty quick. For a better tire good for bashing look for something like a Badlands tread. Some knock off badlands on ebay go for about $20 ish ( I think they are RD logics or something like that). I have a set and other than using a Jammin style 17mm wrench (ie- thin walled) they work great.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

for bodies I would use the MBX5-T bodies, I think the ST-R ones may be a little too short,
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PQRS...
doh... is this the buggy thread? i see theres one with the tr in it....

thanks guys, im not having the shafts fall out, but the rear shafts break at our track. its these cen shock, more notably the long ends in the rear. that allow too much leverage on the shaft right at the top of the threads..

i could break a shaft in one landed jump! my jammin never had that prob, neither does the tazer, or the str.... its these long ends..
im gonna try the short ones in the rear and see if it helps..

we have a BIG jump on our track, so its not like it breaks easy. but they do break. maybe these other guys dont fly as high? sure they go fast, but each lap were 15-20' in the air and flying 40+' long! its fun.... kinda hard on stuff, but fun!
heres the jump...

In a year and a half with the CEN cars I've never snapped a rear shock shaft, but we also dont have jumps like that because they are just parts breakers, that being said, make sure you are landing on the downslop of the third jump, if you are landing on the flat after it, you are just asking for trouble, and if you can't hit the third one, double single it, while it may not look as cool, you will be faster because one, you arn't breaking, and two you wont get as out of control when you land, as if you were doing the whole set of jumps in one shot and landing on the flat,

the part number for the long shock ends is GS232
Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

hey thanks for the part numbers man!! i had good luck yesterday, didnt break a shft... but i chewed up the rear diff.... i havnt looked you, but im guessing the cross pins (mod)failed?
ill let yall know when i open it up.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

I have never broke a shock shaft after 1.5 years of racing the Matrix buggy and truggy. I have bent one though.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

well i broke 2 the first weekend!! lol.. we have a private track with huge jumps, we dont really race.. just try to out run eachother! lol..
but i didnt break a shock shaft this weekend, so im thinkin ive tweaked it and solved the prob? it was at the long wheelbase setting, i switched to the short setting and its holding up fine?
but the p-3 muched the rear diff in 6 tanks! i think the cross pins failed? not positive tho, ill tear into it tonight.... somethins hammered tho, doesnt turn too good....

so in 15 or so tanks tanks ive broken 2 shock shafts and crunched my rear diff?
im 36 and been in this hobby since 1983, and raced for many years... im not a hack, and ive driven 20+ other cars the way i drive this on our track without as many failures... but maybe its an initiation!! lol.. i love this trug tho... i waxed the buggies sunday!!

example!!! lol.. my buggy buddies are pissed!

im not complaining at all, im just curious if others are havin any probs like this?

i appreciate it guys!

Last edited by PQRS...; 06-11-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Initiate

nvm...

Last edited by PQRS...; 06-11-2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

pqrs - i have had my matrix pro for about 8 months and my arena truck for about 6 months. i run for cen, so i travel around and race alot. i also run at our local track all the time. not sure how many tanks, but i have never encountered any problems such as you have described. i think i have may bent one shock shaft, but that about it.\

derricklong38 - if you are looking to buy online, i would recommend giving gene a call. i'm sure he can take care of you with a good price and his knowledge of the vehicles is worth the small amount you might have to pay extra.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

When you have bent these shafts, how were you coming down off of the jumps, with the height it appears you are getting and coming down hard on the back end, I can see a hard landing doing some damage to any vehicle.

I think the difference is as a racer you would try to stay as low as possible off the jumps as when your in the air, your not gaining any speed. as a basher, the air is where you live

the matrix is a great vehicle for both types of people, it can really take a beating, but everything has limits. I would watch your driving style and see how you come off of jumps and all to determine if you are really punishing that area.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

you can drop the truck 20ft in the air and if it lands on all for wheels im a 100% sure your not gonna bend a shaft even landing all lop sidded you still be pressed for a bent shaft so lets get that clear that you cant blame it on the jumps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.