Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyper 7 Racing Capability

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hyper 7 Racing Capability

I have a Hyper 7 and I'm just wondering if it's worth racing. I have changed out the tires, body, and wing so it has a little bit more performance. Has anyone seen one compete with the Losi's and Associated's? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:16 AM
JCG
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TMill16
I have a Hyper 7 and I'm just wondering if it's worth racing. I have changed out the tires, body, and wing so it has a little bit more performance. Has anyone seen one compete with the Losi's and Associated's? Any advice is appreciated.

Hyper 7 was a contender years ago and was a great car. I think you could be competitive again, if you updated the shocks and got some of the PCR upgrades if you can find them.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

May I give you a long answer ?

The best advice I ever got about rc racing was this .... "If you want to podium , don't crash ". Nobody can express how true this statement really is . The buggy itself merely has to suit your driving style , or be flexible enough to adjust it to do so . The Hyper is certainly adjustable . If your running races and the buggy is breaking before the finish, that may be a issue. If your jumping and the car is unable to settle down or handle the landings without causing a loss in control , that may be an issue. BUT , a Losi or any other car for that matter is not going to magically be better for you than another just because its newer or cost more.

If you are getting marshaled more than 2 times during a race , keep plugging away and having fun and know the car is not holding you back . Save some $$ and buy tires so you know your on the best rubber for the conditions .

If your running mains and fighting for the podium and just cant close the gap at the end and haven't been marshaled all race , then try some cars out .
Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Rookie

What are your personal favorite shocks? I've been looking around at 16mm and just can't decide what's going to be the better option. Also, what engine/pipe combo are yall running? Trying to stay in the mid to low price range but any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:24 PM
JCG
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TMill16
What are your personal favorite shocks? I've been looking around at 16mm and just can't decide what's going to be the better option. Also, what engine/pipe combo are yall running? Trying to stay in the mid to low price range but any suggestions are welcomed.
Shocks if you updated now I would try to use the ones off the Hyper 9 if you can get them to fit.

Part# OFN29064 Frt
Part# OFN29065 Rear

Novarossi P5XLT #NVRS21P5XLT

OFNA 086 Pipe #OFN10056

Great pipe motor combo but not sure what your track conditions are.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

OFNA big bore shocks will help. Make sure you get the new shock stand-off posts as well
Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I raced the Hyper 7 when I first started racing 8th scale. It handled decent I think and was real durable. If it is your first buggy, it is not a bad choice for learning.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Run it!!! Find out what size the bodies are and update to better pistons,can make a big difference..I got some shocks from my x7 if you need some..I would concentrate on getting a decent motor, like the mugen novarossi b4 is an excellent motor for around $200... My buddy designed the hyper7 so,I say run her as she is..strong car for sure
Old 08-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im running the Hong Nor Jammin 16 mm Big Bore shocks on all my hyper 7 and 8's - hell all my buggies / truggies / and 8th scale short course vehicles.

13mm Big Bore on the Jammin CRT .5 mini truggy.

Weight reduction on the hyper 7 where you can. Build it right, set it up right, get good tires, a tuneable engine, lots of practice and you should be able to run it up against most "sportsman" and beginner drivers if their in the right classes.

Like the earlier poster identified - less crashes and pit stops and breakage = podiums. Doubtful most A Main winners in sportsman do so because their buggies had and extra 2.6 mm of steering, more caster / camber adjustments and 400 more advertised rpms on their engines.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

any buggy worth for races, with right engine and tyre, as long you confidence with the car and really understand the car,, get a clean lap, no need to be fast, and youll notice that many cars behind you is a branded and expensive car.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I suggest running your car the way it is. I would focus on maintenance and setup. As others have suggested get a good set of tires and ask the better racers at your track to include the right compound. Go through the car and change the diff oil, shock oil, and check all of the bearings. Either replace the bearings or soak them in oil for a day and then check them. If they are gritty after that replace those bearings with boca or avid bearings that cost a dollar a piece. If your shocks get dirty replace the Orings or reapply a product called green slime. What I am getting at is that a well maintained car will perform better. Work on your driving skills for awhile. Get into the loop of racing and then you may wish to get a newer car in the future. FYI I am running a mugen mb6 which is an older platform car. I see no need to change. In fact, I got rid of my newer serpent for this and I am very happy. I bet a guy that consistently tq's can take an old car and still win. It's primarily about maintenance, setup knowledge, tires, and driver experience and talent....