Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
XB8 vs D815 vs A215 vs MP9 >

XB8 vs D815 vs A215 vs MP9

Like Tree1Likes

XB8 vs D815 vs A215 vs MP9

Old 08-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default XB8 vs D815 vs A215 vs MP9

Hope you guys can give me some input on these cars.

I'm looking for a new ride and these are the cars I'm looking at. I have a XB8-14 and 15 now and been driving it for two years. I think the durability is good and also the wear but I always have too tweak the car alot just so it feel ok. My friend and I drives similar but he does't need to tweak his MP9 at all and in some tracks he beats me with over 5 sec per lap and that is not because he is so much faster than me. It seems like it is more easy to push his car harder and go fast without upseting the car than me with the Xray. I don't mind tweaking but it seems to be faster cars out there.

Last race that I attended were lost because of the loose and loamy conditions, I tweak my car like a maniac and found an ok setup and he wasn't doing anything and hade so much more grip and corner speed than me. We hade the same tire.

I don't like the MP9 because it breaks easier and wear faster than the Xray and that is just my observation between my car and my friends car. But I don't like to get my ass kicked with 5 sec without reason.

I've been looking at D815 or A215 any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Maybe it's your setup ability versus his?
Old 08-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

The mp9 is a proven platform that is forgiving to drive. That's why ordinary racers can easily pull its potential out. Other cars, require more skill/talent to do the same. Under the hands of pro drivers, the cars look like they drive the same, but there is more to that.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't think it is the car.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I havent driven the xb8 but I did have the xb9 and I had the same issues. I had the top driver set my car up for his track the way he has his set up and it did help a lot, but when I got my mp9 I did much better. I have driven Kyosho, Mugen 6 and 7r, X-ray xb9, hong nor, loss and durango and by far Kyosho is my favorite, followed by loss then X-ray and mugen. I am an aggressive driver and the c hub cars seem to act better on the track for my driving style. Setup is a big deal with that being said the Kyosho is very track friendly with very few tweaks needed to be made...
Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

We see this a lot on here, "I have had many top cars and just started with MP9, kicking myself for not making it my first car".
Old 08-16-2015, 04:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i know this is xray kyosho d815

though i just bought a new team associated rc8b3 and it is by far the best car ive driven

though i havnt driven these other cars listed yet ive heard the kyosho is great car easy to setup etc.

i have driven the xray xb9 not the new xb8 platform tho.

all great cars xray kyosho and probably the d815.

just thought i would share my thoughts this associated rc8b3 best thing ive driven hands down its even better to drive then my xray truggy
Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

I just switched from running kyosho for two years to the HB/HPI equipment and let me tell you it has been a revolution in my racing.

One of the biggest differences for me has been the durability. The Kyosho stuff is fragile. Both 1/10 and 1/8 scale products. It's probably the most fragile stuff on the market right now. It can be fast and if you don't crash hard it can win races, but if you get it wrong it will punish you with DNFs. The HB stuff is probably the most durable stuff on the market. This in itself won't make you faster. It will give you the piece of mind to push harder, run closer to the pipe, and go for that big quad whip when you need it.

Besides for durability, I've found the HB stuff to be much more responsive to tuning. The Kyosho buggy has a reputation for being good everywhere, and it is. You can tell by looking at the top pro's setups. They barely change from track to track. This would appear to be good, but it also has a downside. In the times I felt I needed something more from the car I found it very difficult to get it. Only big changes like springs seemed to really affect the drivability of the car. I feel that I can appreciate the impact of every move on the HB and thereby get the car to perform exactly like I want it to on that given day. I also have confidence to make changes in between quals or before a main because setup changes have very consistent results.

In terms of general driving character I have to say these cars are very different. Now I'm sure they can be setup and tuned to perform however you like, but I'm a firm believer that certain cars like to be run in certain ways. The Kyosho car seems to me to be a car that likes to pivot around turns. It excels at sharp 180's, but must be handled carefully around sweepers. The HB, for me, is exactly the opposite. It likes to dig in and carve through turns. I can carry more speed through the sweeping 90* at the end of our straight away than any other car on the track. 180s need to be handled either with a touch of brakes or an approach that flattens out the turn. The best way I can sum it up is that the Kyosho likes to go AROUND turns and the HB likes to go THROUGH turns. A different driving style is necessary to get the most out of each kit.

I started out with the D812, and transitioned to the D815. I only have two races on the D815. On the surface it only seems like marginal changes between the two, but it's not. First off HB addressed every maintenance headache on the car (except for easier front and rear diff access), but also new gearing and geometry has changed the handling a bit. When I came into the D812 all the secrets had been flushed out, so it was easy to pick up a setup and run with it. I feel like the D815 still has more to give as more people get hours on it. As of right now if I had to race for a paycheck I'd feel better on the D812, but the D815 is close. One or two more club races or practice days and I should have it dialed.

Last year was very frustrating for me. I felt like I was aways looking for more from my tires and I was plagued by DNFs. This year the new D815, although not yet at its full potential, has found the podium every time its hit the track.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

and the JQ white versus the MP9 ??
it's basic lay-out is like Kyosho now with more tuning possibilities, the car is strong ..

Last edited by speedy2; 08-16-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have an mp9 but have driven most brands at one point or another. The "best" will be different for everyone but if you want a good indicator I'll say this. Almost everyone that switches to kyosho says they wish they would have done it sooner and you will almost NEVER see a Kyosho driver switching cars unless they get a chassis sponsorship from another company
Old 08-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smelly62 View Post
We see this a lot on here, "I have had many top cars and just started with MP9, kicking myself for not making it my first car".
+1 Exactly my feeling since a month. I had the mbx7 and then the d815 and now a mp9 which I regret not having gone for that one in the first place.

D815 I had it for two races and 2 training:

At my first training one of the pin for the shock got lost for no reasons (the grub screw was well screwed about 1-2mm under the surface). I damaged the center diff spur and started drilling the fueltank with the stock clutchbell bearing having failed within the first 1/2 liter. One of the rear arm cover also got bent so badly I couldn't be fixed (even glued).

At my first race I snapped the front shock absorbers alloy support and split in half the top radio tray. But the worst this day was that I ran a qualifier without any air filter as the damn thing fell off during one of the crashes. It was supports only by a zip tie on the engine. Lesson learn't for the next race I made a plate fixed one the tank to hold the end of the filter.

Almost all the screws on the diff had to be replaced pretty soon at the plastic is so tough that even with good quality screws, a new spanner and lots of grease you will eat their head off. Many other screws are like this as well.
Shocks have to be rebuilt often and are no where near the ease of built as a mp9's.

So durability is relative I guess.

I personally hated the access to the front/rear diff as the hinge pins,which is a long screw, is holding the whole anti/squat/dive assembly in a sandwich instead of a trapped pin such as the mp9/mbx7.

The stock rear wing, unsuprisingly, was totaled before the end of the first race.

Other than that the car drove okay, I was better with it than the Mugen but less than the Kyosho. Removing the engine and the center diff was a pleasure on it I regret that and the steel skid plate at the rear but that's about it when I sold it.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shannow View Post
+1 Exactly my feeling since a month. I had the mbx7 and then the d815 and now a mp9 which I regret not having gone for that one in the first place.

D815 I had it for two races and 2 training:

At my first training one of the pin for the shock got lost for no reasons (the grub screw was well screwed about 1-2mm under the surface). I damaged the center diff spur and started drilling the fueltank with the stock clutchbell bearing having failed within the first 1/2 liter. One of the rear arm cover also got bent so badly I couldn't be fixed (even glued).

At my first race I snapped the front shock absorbers alloy support and split in half the top radio tray. But the worst this day was that I ran a qualifier without any air filter as the damn thing fell off during one of the crashes. It was supports only by a zip tie on the engine. Lesson learn't for the next race I made a plate fixed one the tank to hold the end of the filter.

Almost all the screws on the diff had to be replaced pretty soon at the plastic is so tough that even with good quality screws, a new spanner and lots of grease you will eat their head off. Many other screws are like this as well.
Shocks have to be rebuilt often and are no where near the ease of built as a mp9's.

So durability is relative I guess.

I personally hated the access to the front/rear diff as the hinge pins,which is a long screw, is holding the whole anti/squat/dive assembly in a sandwich instead of a trapped pin such as the mp9/mbx7.

The stock rear wing, unsuprisingly, was totaled before the end of the first race.

Other than that the car drove okay, I was better with it than the Mugen but less than the Kyosho. Removing the engine and the center diff was a pleasure on it I regret that and the steel skid plate at the rear but that's about it when I sold it.

You sir are talented. To break that stuff on a HB takes commitment and TONS of effort.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Well the mugen never gave me that much trouble and the mp9 hasn't so far .
Although I will admit that the first race I had with it was very harsh on the cars as 80% of it was concrete covered.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

I had the D812 and driven it for about a year at the revelation track, this was a good kit for me as i was still learning how to control the car through the jumps and track. I then switched to MP9 and i quickly fell in love with it on how smooth and easy it performs at the track. I havent driven the D815 yet, but between the d812 and Mp9 IMO the MP9 is the best kit for me so far!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scythe23 View Post
I have an mp9 but have driven most brands at one point or another. The "best" will be different for everyone but if you want a good indicator I'll say this. Almost everyone that switches to kyosho says they wish they would have done it sooner and you will almost NEVER see a Kyosho driver switching cars unless they get a chassis sponsorship from another company
Our local fast guy and one of our sponsored racers just switched from Kyosho to Xray and is loving it. He is still ironing out the differences between the two but he is enjoying it more. It suits his driving style alot better. He didnt switch because of sponsor ship (as his sponsor carries both Kyosho and Xray), but because he felt he needed a change and wanted to improve further.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.