Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade to new car thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Default upgrade to new car thoughts

hi to everyone for this year i drive an old xray xb808.i bought this car almost new from someone that he did not use it.after having trouble set up the car for the track i run now the set up is very good for me at least.i am very happy with the car and with the durability of the car.speaking with many people at the trach they said i need to buy a new car.i found a mugen mbx7 and an intech br6 2 at very good price but i am not feeling very confident about selling the xb808.in the track i compete all the new cars with out a problem.i think my driving needs to improve not the car.but many say i need new car and the xb808 is very hard to drive but i feel nice driving it.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Kostas, you are absolutely right. You don't need to buy a new car. There is alot of people that have to buy the newest car every time and new one comes out. And each one they buy they will tell you its the best thing since sliced bread. Learning to drive and setup a car is what most of us club racers need. A new car is not going to fix our inability to keep the car on all four tires. The only concern I would have in your shoes is whether or not you can still find replacement parts when you need them. That is in fact the only main issue running older cars. I would say as soon as it becomes too much trouble finding parts it's the sign to retire the old girl and move on to a newer model. If you maintain it and replace things as they wear out a older model may last you three years or more.

In my case I happened to purchase a car that for the last 6-7 years has only had evolutionary changes not wholesale changes. So I"ve been able to keep up with just buying the new parts and not a whole new car.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kostas xray
hi to everyone for this year i drive an old xray xb808.i bought this car almost new from someone that he did not use it.after having trouble set up the car for the track i run now the set up is very good for me at least.i am very happy with the car and with the durability of the car.speaking with many people at the trach they said i need to buy a new car.i found a mugen mbx7 and an intech br6 2 at very good price but i am not feeling very confident about selling the xb808.in the track i compete all the new cars with out a problem.i think my driving needs to improve not the car.but many say i need new car and the xb808 is very hard to drive but i feel nice driving it.
When I had my 808 , I was able to get a set of xb9 shocks for it . The newer shock design allows the 808 to have a lot more droop, and with the updated shocks (and a lifetime supply of diff bearings) I really enjoyed that car for a while .
Old 06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

actually i reduce droop front and rear and the car is way better in my track.so no need for xb9 shocks.untill now i have no problem for replacement parts and the car is very durable so no need for many parts.the only thing i have upgarde in the car is fuel tank with clunk.one more question i am thinking to change my shock oils to heavier because i notice that off throtle i lose the rear end and on throttle i lose steering.right now i am having 6 hole 1.4 550cst front and 6 hole 1.3 450cst rear.i am thinking to go 600cst front 500cst rear stock silver springs.