Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to nirto

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to nirto

Hey guys I just got an xray xb9 and I've never run any nitro stuff so I'm doing alot of research to get familiar with what all is involved with it. It has a novarossi plus21-7 engine. What engine temps should be normal?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Welcome to the world of nitro For temps it's dependant on the outside temp of course, but for my LRP .28 and Kyosho KE .25 I try and keep them around 250 Fahrenheit or lower. 250 on a hotter day with the body on is pretty good. Some engines will run a little hotter and some like to run on the cooler side, but I think 250 is a good ceiling for most anything. A little hotter won't hurt, but in my experience getting too much higher like above 270 and they wear out prematurely and you'll eat glow plugs a lot more. I have heard of Picco big blocks running well at about 270 though so your results may vary a bit. If it goes much higher than 250ish set it a hair richer and you're good to go.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Leaner/hotter =faster and faster wear. Anything between 200 to 250 will be perfect depending on engine . I run werks b5 pro and 215-225 runs great. 270 it will run super crisp but your asking for trouble and lot a $$
Old 05-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Do you have a track around your area? Or a hobby shop? Perhaps post on your local craigslist that you're a noobie looking for help. This is a great hobby and there are many helpful people.

Don't overlook the nitro engine forum at the very top of this one.

Fuel storage. Store in a temperature controlled area. Never on cement or in the sun.

Air filters. Always run with a clean filter.

Dirt. Dirt or other debris in the tank will make their way to the engine and cause problems. A cheap paint brush to brush your tank and other parts of the car is a good idea.

Glow igniter. A large percent of starting issues have been a low charged igniter in my case. Always good to travel with 2 charged igniter and extra plugs.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Yea I've been racing ebuggys outdoor 3 to 4 raced a week and got a good deal on a nitro car. I have some buddy's that have run nitro alot that said they could help me. So far I'm loving nitro.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

A+++ on the nitro! Far as engine tuning once you find that sweet spot then only fine adjustments will have to be made from track to track and weather conditions. very inportant to have your engine at operating temp for breakin dont let it get below 200 and dont be scared of break in no need to baby it much three four tanks and keep some heat gun or engine warmer on it and monitor the temp. Then just go let er rip i find my motor run great and last a long time. Welcome to nitro!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Welcome to the joys of Nitro RC..... At the top of the Nitro forum here there is a Thread for Nitro Engines that have some very good information.