Wiki Posts
Search

Set up system question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Set up system question?

I've recently bought a 1/8 hudy set up system but it's not the full system and I was wondering what else is necessary to make it complete. I ask because I've noticed Amain offer a Hudy 1/8 ride height gauge and another item that describes it as being a 1/8 ride height and droop gauge (Hudy also) now do I need both of these as well as the droop blocks or just one or the other?
Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

30mm droop guage support blocks yes. The way the set up system is designed is you put the 30mm blocks under the chassis and push the chassis down on them then adjust camber etc so your settings can be consistent each time. HUD107704

the droop Guage (looks like steps) measures how far the wheel hex drops at full extension when the chassis is sitting on the above mentioned support blocks. You slide the guage under the hex and the step tells you the measurement. This may or may not work for you because a lot of set up sheets don't measure droop this way. They do it from shock mounting holes center to center.

The hudy step style Ride height guage is not usable really because as the back of your chassis wears, it will no longer exist to be measured.

Imo you need a ride height guage that you can slide way under the chassis.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

So go with the droop blocks and the droop gauge then get a different ride height gauge? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Use the droop gauge under the round part of the "hex adaptors. JConcepts ride height gauge.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Set the droop the way it is in the books and then measure it with the blocks and gauge. Then you will have a baseline that you can work from.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Where can I find the J concepts ride height gauge?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fizzy
So go with the droop blocks and the droop gauge then get a different ride height gauge? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Some of the answers you'll get are going to be a matter of opinion. You can get all the Hudy stuff if you want. My opinion is to get the droop blocks only. Use calipers to measure your actual droop from the center of the upper shock mounting bolt to the center of the lower bolt. That's pretty much the standard way it's done in 1/8th nitro anyway. Tebo, King, Tessmann and others do it this way. If you want to copy their set up sheet that's how you'll have to measure it. If you're over using a pros set up sheet as reference, u can do it the Hudy way if u want. That's fine too.

as for ride height guage I much prefer to use my homemade one. U can make one using any design you come up with, but what I did was to use the set screw on a mod1 gear to tighten a 3x25mm screw into the center of the gear(just like the shaft from a motor). The threaded end of the screw goes up and I have a 3mm locknut screwed on top. Depending on how much I tighten the nut will determine overall length. I measure the overall length with my calipers to make sure it's exactly the length I want. Then I just slide it under the car and adjust the shock collars up or down as usual.

Not buying the droop gauge or ride height guage won't prevent the rest of the set up system from being usable.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

Ok cool thanks for that, that makes it much easier then,I'll just get the droop blocks and I'll invest in basic ride height cage, I'm really not fussed about having the hudy stuff or not I just want to have what I need that works..
Old 05-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

GHEA makes a very slick ride height gauge. There's a buggy and a truggy version. Also the 30mm blocks and the droop gauge are the most accurate way to measure droop. Take the wheels off and set the chassis on the blocks then measure droop at the axle under the threads. Make sure the blocks are on a flat surface (setup board)

Last edited by Frank L; 05-08-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
Some of the answers you'll get are going to be a matter of opinion. You can get all the Hudy stuff if you want. My opinion is to get the droop blocks only. Use calipers to measure your actual droop from the center of the upper shock mounting bolt to the center of the lower bolt. That's pretty much the standard way it's done in 1/8th nitro anyway. Tebo, King, Tessmann and others do it this way. If you want to copy their set up sheet that's how you'll have to measure it. If you're over using a pros set up sheet as reference, u can do it the Hudy way if u want. That's fine too.

as for ride height guage I much prefer to use my homemade one. U can make one using any design you come up with, but what I did was to use the set screw on a mod1 gear to tighten a 3x25mm screw into the center of the gear(just like the shaft from a motor). The threaded end of the screw goes up and I have a 3mm locknut screwed on top. Depending on how much I tighten the nut will determine overall length. I measure the overall length with my calipers to make sure it's exactly the length I want. Then I just slide it under the car and adjust the shock collars up or down as usual.

Not buying the droop gauge or ride height guage won't prevent the rest of the set up system from being usable.
The caliper method for droop can be your first step as a starting point and if you want it to then be more accurate, buy the droop gauge and you will be suprised how far off that caliper guess was when comparing the left to right sides.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
GHEA makes a very slick ride bright gauge. There's a buggy and a truggy version.
Best ride height gauge out there.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

That's the ride height gauge I ordered. I thought it was pretty neat and simple and had good reviews so I'm glad it's been mentioned here now and I got droop blocks and droop gauge and sticker sheet too now hopefully I'm set