Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Engine Size for Truggy >

Engine Size for Truggy

Engine Size for Truggy

Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Engine Size for Truggy

Hey guys and girls,

What size of motor is the "standard" in a Truggy? .28? I've got one in a trade, first nitro racer so I'm kind of excited for it, but it comes with two .21 engines and a .28, the .21 are a Rossi and OS, the .28 is an Axial. Is an RC8T, I think not a lot of upgrades if weight would make a difference etc.

Please let me know which engine is standard/designed to run in Truggy and which isn't!

Also, who do I contact about a name change? Lol.

Thanks in advance,
Colin.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

3 engines and one truck..... Pick one

Nice thing is, they will all fit. They are all the same block size so its really the internals that are different. To choose which one you want you need to make a decision... are you going to race or bash with the truck.
Nowadays, most .21 engines are over powering by them selves and powerful enough to run a truck as fast as you want. That's why most of the Pro guys use the .21's. But the plus side, is you get better run times with them than you do with the .28's.

If you are just messing around and not racing, put the .28 in there. If you plan to race, put one of the .21's in there. If they are still in good shape, they will be more than enough to be fast with and get that extra 2-3 minutes without having to pit as often.

I have herd the Axial motors are hit or miss. Hard to tune to run balls out and are not to good on run times. But I personally have not used one. All heresay.
Depending on which model the Nova and OS are, they would be a better choice all around.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

a Bonito .21 will make you truck fast and run time ok
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Tech Champion

Same with an Alpha or Argus .23 - for half the money... Seriously, those .23's are wicked..
Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't know if that Axial has a high resale value or not. If it doesn't, run it til it pukes and scrap it. Then use the good Rossi and O.S. engines. Anyway, that's what I would do. A good 21 like the 2 mentioned should be plenty of engine for bashing or getting started racing. I wouldn't get caught up in the craze to shed weight off your truggy or buggy or whatever. In my opinion, even top level drivers have to stay on top of their game on any track that's the least bit dry or rough. Modern power plants are sometimes to powerful for track conditions and driver skills(speaking for myself). Lightening your truggy may do more harm than good. Just my opinion.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

A good race .21 is the way to go if you are racing. It is easier on the drivetrain and better on fuel mileage. When I ran a .25 I could hear my truck cry when I stabbed the trigger. I also went through drive pins/ out drives much faster.

If you are just bashing around then drop a .28 or .30 in and let her fly. It will be more fun than a .21 when bashing.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I was running a .21 in my Losi 3.0T and this past weekend I slapped an Alpha .23 in there and HOLY CARP! That engine has some sack ;-) I was still pitting @ 8 min on a pretty fast track....and I was catching people left and right down the back stretch! It's a great mix of power and fuel mileage for sure. Slightly worse fuel mileage than a .21 and WAY better power for a Truggy IMHO. The 1-2 min less of runtime is well worth it.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
I was running a .21 in my Losi 3.0T and this past weekend I slapped an Alpha .23 in there and HOLY CARP! That engine has some sack ;-) I was still pitting @ 8 min on a pretty fast track....and I was catching people left and right down the back stretch! It's a great mix of power and fuel mileage for sure. Slightly worse fuel mileage than a .21 and WAY better power for a Truggy IMHO. The 1-2 min less of runtime is well worth it.
Big +1. I really like the Alpha .23 in my truggy. The extra power is just right. I also pit at about the same time any .21 engine pits at; I normally come in between 9 to 10mins, depending on track size.