Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit? >

What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit?

I'm just curious what are the deciding factors for people when upgrading kits- do they follow a certain make/brand that they're comfortable with, is it what the LHS stocks or parts availability, is it based on the race results of the brand/car?
Just interested to hear people's ideas and input
Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

....because reasons

Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My method:

Is it Team Associated?

Yes: buy
No: don't buy

But I am definitely a fan boy, 15 of my 21 cars are AE. And I am getting ready to buy another when it gets released.

But in all reality, loacal support is huge, if your LHS does not stock Team associated parts, but has all Losi and Kyosho, then you would be a fool to buy anything else. You plan on racing? See what most of the top guys are racing, There will be much more support for that brand. If 6 of the top 10 are running AE then I would lean more in that direction because that is more people you can ask for set up help and more people that might have the parts you need to get you back on track right away. If you have a brand that you are loyal too, then stick with that brand, especially if there is parts compatibility between different models that you already have.

I had the C4.2, B4.2, T4.2 and the SC10.2 because they shared a lot of parts, I have since moved on to a T5M and B5M so the SC10 and the Centro are the odd balls now and both will be going away once the SC10 goes to the 5 platform. It just reduces the amounts of parts I need in my pit bag.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There can be many different reasons... affordability, the winningest car, fanboyism, just trying something new, sponsorship requirements, word of mouth, local parts availability.

Personally I've bought based on what car is winning on the pro circuit.
I don't really care about local parts support. Online has everything I need for less. I have spares for the things that are more likely to break and sometimes i bring a back up car.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
There can be many different reasons... affordability, the winningest car, fanboyism, just trying something new, sponsorship requirements, word of mouth, local parts availability.

I don't really care about local parts support. Online has everything I need for less. I have spares for the things that are more likely to break and sometimes i bring a back up car.
Finally a honest answer!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Is my current chassis worn out and too expensive to refresh, then yes. I stick with Kyosho so brand too .
Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Does the box say Mugen?
Does the box say Airtronics?
Does the box say Novarossi?

It's all personal preference. I have ran this combo for a long long time and I can't complain with their quality, durability, price or availability. When I got back into racing a few months back, I didn't even look anywhere else.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO

I agree to a point. I also look what works best for me. If I cant drive it hard and fast and still be competitive, then why do it at all..... If the LRP brand was faster than my Losi, or if I could drive a S-Works more consistant, than that would be the brand I would run. For now, Losi seems to be the best choice for me.... Who knows, I might pick up a used Tekno and find its easier to go fast.

Now, not saying that equipment is what makes you fast. There are plenty of brands that run up front at anytime, anywhere in the world.... But they get paid to be fast. I have to pay to be fast
Old 04-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

i have been racing Mugen, TLR, Intech, Mugen again and since a year and a half now JQ. And believe me, I have had lots of fun with all of them. In my eyes, if you are looking for just bashing around or racing from time to time on a track, then parts availability at the LHS will be important as most likely you are not interested in stocking whatever part might at some point of time break. Now, if you are going to race more seriously, then you will anyhow start stocking or even have a backup car, and then in my humble opinion, one of the most important things is your relationship to the guys that really understand this car. So look for something where you know you can get help, both on site and online.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I usually go with what I enjoy running. But the following have become important over the years:
  • Mfg support - do they update necessary parts that require attention in a reasonable time
  • Cutting edge tech - is it just a revision of a 5 year old kit or is it new and cutting edge
  • Online end user experience - what do the club racers think
  • Durability
  • Personal experience - do I enjoy wrenching on it/ does it perform on the track in my hands/ etc

Things that don't sway me:
  • Fanboyism
  • Chassis of the week
  • Peer pressure
Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Something I've been looking more closely at lately: Manufacturer support.

I don't do shelf queens at all so as far as I'm concerned, I'd better be able to get parts for it even a few years after it came out and for many years after that even.

It just really bugs me how things get discontinued all the time. I don't have to have the latest dumb new thing to enjoy myself and/or be competitive.

I really believe my over-weight 12 year-old thunder Tiger can beat a lot of this new crap that's going to get discontinued next year anyway.

All my LHS sell nothing but worthless corporate crap so my whole RC world is found online except fuel which almost became an online thing too.
Attached Thumbnails What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit?-dsc07366.jpg   What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit?-dsc07374.jpg   What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit?-dsc07694.jpg   What's the deciding factors on buying a new kit?-dsc07099.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

It's best to try as many as you can. Everyone will have an opinion buts its best to try them out your self. I have owned Yokomo, Hpi, Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya and Xray.

These days I choose Xray because I find them to be competitive and durable.

my opinion.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Important for me is that parts are available on e-bay, as well as numerous online shops. I don't want anything to do with brands which are only available from one or two sources.

I also totally agree Mercfocus - it's annoying as h.ell how things get "updated" ever six months, making whatever came before supposedly "outdated". This hobby is poisoned by a neverending obsession for novelty for novelty's sake, and whatever the pros are doing and running... No, I won't be buying a lexan wing. I love when guys ask "what's so-and-so's set-up from track X?", so he can run somewhere in totally different conditions... (conditions not being the only factor of course. As if individual driving style doesn't count.. Or tires..)

The biggest things for me would be:

1.) Durability. All brands seem to have that these days. Except maybe Mugen arms...
2.) What do they run at your local track? Just makes sense.... Parts here, tips there..
3.) Availability, as stated above.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

More like because it's new kit must be the best. There some very old kits that run just great. Most of new kits just re-inventing same wheel with new name
Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Tech Champion

I like how a few years ago super skinny chassis' were all the rage, so companies went that route, then came back to wider chassis'.. I bet the new trend will soon be cab-rearward bodies...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.