Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
uneven tire wear >

uneven tire wear

uneven tire wear

Old 04-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default uneven tire wear

hi everyone.my byggy wears uneven the rear tires meaning the left rear tire is like new and the right tire is worn out after few laps at the track.camber,toe everything is even in both sides.bearing is new drivepins everything new diff gears new.the track has almost even amount of left and right turns.notice that the right tire is bold in the center of the tread and the left is new.i use 2000 rear diff oil maybe is too thin????another question my car seems to be too agresive on throttle meaning with litle throtle too much sudden acceleration is like on off switch.i play with lsn and lsn but not too much improvement.do you think i need softer springs in clutch????i run aka impact soft tire and i am thinking going to aka enduro medium too get more run time from tires.thank you and sorry for the long post i hope someone will help me because i change tires every time i go to the track.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kostas xray
hi everyone.my byggy wears uneven the rear tires meaning the left rear tire is like new and the right tire is worn out after few laps at the track.camber,toe everything is even in both sides.bearing is new drivepins everything new diff gears new.the track has almost even amount of left and right turns.notice that the right tire is bold in the center of the tread and the left is new.i use 2000 rear diff oil maybe is too thin????another question my car seems to be too agresive on throttle meaning with litle throtle too much sudden acceleration is like on off switch.i play with lsn and lsn but not too much improvement.do you think i need softer springs in clutch????i run aka impact soft tire and i am thinking going to aka enduro medium too get more run time from tires.thank you and sorry for the long post i hope someone will help me because i change tires every time i go to the track.
A lot of things can play into tire wear. Not just an even number of turns on the track, but the speed of the turns. High speed turns can put more pressure on the tires causing them to wear more on one side. Also, a loss of traction, if the car slides to one side more or heavy braking going into a corner lifting the inside rear tire causing it to skid.

Then you have shocks, oil, springs, ride height, rear toe and anti-squat.... Bent parts like hinge pins, arms, camber links, mounting screws, shock shaft..... worn out parts like arm mounts, link mounts and so on.

I would go over the entire car and make sure everything is straight, tight, and as equal as possible between the left and right side. Front as well as the rear.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Thin oil in rear diff will produce more wheelspin in corners when the inside wheel has less resistance causing it to unload & spin more so it might need thicker diff oil, I guess the type of corner, like mentioned above, will also come into effect as slow & fast corners could cause different amounts of wear.
What car is it & what front & center diff oils are you running, might be worth checking out some set up sheets for your buggy & find something that suits the surface you are running your car on.
Going to a harder compound tyre (tire) might just create more wheelspin because you will have less traction so wear could end up being similar.
Thinner clutch springs might help & should reduce the snap when clutch engages as it will engage at lower engine revs which will help produce less wheel spin or using different size clutch spring & different types of clutch shoes may also help smooth out clutch engagement.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's sounds like you either have a bad diff shim or a bearing is bad. Take the diffs apart and make sure you have the correct number of shims behind the gears and that the ones under the pins are not worn into a cup shape . It's easy to get and extra shim behind a side of spider gear and not realize it. While you have it torn down into sub assemblies check all the bearings. I am almost sure you have a shimming issue in the center or rear diff.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kostas xray
Is this on an Xray? Every once in a while you'll snap the rear diff cross pin. Car will drive still but the diff isn't working properly, it happens more with lighter fluids too...2k is really light if it's an xray.

Need to know your car and what exactly is the clutch setup. any video of the track? that would help too.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Danny B
Is this on an Xray? Every once in a while you'll snap the rear diff cross pin. Car will drive still but the diff isn't working properly, it happens more with lighter fluids too...2k is really light if it's an xray.

Need to know your car and what exactly is the clutch setup. any video of the track? that would help too.
hi the car is xray xb808.diff oil is 7-7-2.all the bearings is new.drive pins in drivesafts new shimming in diff is okay not too tight not too loose no jumping teeth.the diff works okay but i have not open it to check the pins inside.i notice today as taken apart that the rear right wheel has slightly more toe in maybe that is the problem??here is a link of video in that track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDv4LUf5IKU.not my car is not there but this is the track.i open the diff everything okay inside

Last edited by kostas xray; 04-24-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sweet track! looks fun. But while there are a fair amount of right hand turns, virtually all the left hand turns are pretty high speed or can easily slide the car, so you are putting a lot of stress on the right side tires.

I would try 3k or 4k in the rear. or even 5k, my current favorite diff setup is 7-7-5 with the new car

If you are running an xray 3 shoe clutch. I would run 1 aluminum clutch shoe and 2 HPI carbon shoes with the hard springs. Works exceptionally well on engines with a lot of power, like OS etc. the Medium springs if you need a little quicker reaction for a short run up or something. The medium springs may also be a good idea if you engine is smooth.

XRA358589 silver hard
XRA358588 Medium
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Danny B
Sweet track! looks fun. But while there are a fair amount of right hand turns, virtually all the left hand turns are pretty high speed or can easily slide the car, so you are putting a lot of stress on the right side tires.

I would try 3k or 4k in the rear. or even 5k, my current favorite diff setup is 7-7-5 with the new car

If you are running an xray 3 shoe clutch. I would run 1 aluminum clutch shoe and 2 HPI carbon shoes with the hard springs. Works exceptionally well on engines with a lot of power, like OS etc. the Medium springs if you need a little quicker reaction for a short run up or something. The medium springs may also be a good idea if you engine is smooth.

XRA358589 silver hard
XRA358588 Medium
i run assosiated rc8 clutch hard aluminum shoes and 1.0 springs.my engine is argus a5 and i have too much torque and the car launches hard.i am thinking first try 0.9 springs or 0.9 springs with one carbon shoes.i want more smooth acceleration do you think that will help me???also do you think aka enduro medium or proline big blox x2 compound is okay for this track??
Old 04-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

because of the diffrent gear ratios on the 808 diffs i found it needed alot thiner
oil in the center diff 3000 in the 808 feels like 7000 in the xb9/xb8
Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rick oxley
because of the diffrent gear ratios on the 808 diffs i found it needed alot thiner
oil in the center diff 3000 in the 808 feels like 7000 in the xb9/xb8
i use 41t front gear and i test 5000 and 6000 and 7000 in the center i find that 7000 in center is okay with 41t front gear.with 5000 in center and 41t front gear all the power transfer to the front.with 7000 i am happy at least with my set up in my track.