Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New sleeve pinch >

New sleeve pinch

New sleeve pinch

Old 04-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New sleeve pinch

Is this good pinch for a new OS Max .15CV-X sleeve?
I was expecting more. and why is it purple on top, is that normal?

Last edited by axo409; 04-13-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Kind of hard to tell if a pinch is good from looking at the piston in the sleeve. Best way to tell, is to install it in the motor and turn it over by hand. One of 3 things is going to happen. 1. Its too loose and you can turn it over easily by hand. 2. Its tight. You can turn it by hand but there is a good seal and a slight mechanical pinch at top dead center ( that's what you want). 3. Its very tight and you cant turn it over by hand ( how a engine comes from the factory).

The discoloration look is somewhat normal. Just heat discoloring the brass of the sleeve. Being it is uniform all around the sleeve, means it was running ok. If you had it only on one half, something was off. Don't worry too much about that.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
Kind of hard to tell if a pinch is good from looking at the piston in the sleeve. Best way to tell, is to install it in the motor and turn it over by hand. One of 3 things is going to happen. 1. Its too loose and you can turn it over easily by hand. 2. Its tight. You can turn it by hand but there is a good seal and a slight mechanical pinch at top dead center ( that's what you want). 3. Its very tight and you cant turn it over by hand ( how a engine comes from the factory).

The discoloration look is somewhat normal. Just heat discoloring the brass of the sleeve. Being it is uniform all around the sleeve, means it was running ok. If you had it only on one half, something was off. Don't worry too much about that.
thank you, is that test with the glow plug in? Also I didn't install it yet, thats right out of the package. Are they purple brand new? trying to find out if i'm getting punkd
Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 PM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

First question, who did the work? If it was anybody other than RayA racing then there could a lot of problems. Most are things that require pretty expensive and percision measuring tools to check for. Ray has done tons of these for people and most of the others who have a good rep use Rays tooling.

You got two choices, put it in and run it or send it to Ray and have him try and fix it if it was done wrong.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK View Post
First question, who did the work? If it was anybody other than RayA racing then there could a lot of problems. Most are things that require pretty expensive and percision measuring tools to check for. Ray has done tons of these for people and most of the others who have a good rep use Rays tooling.

You got two choices, put it in and run it or send it to Ray and have him try and fix it if it was done wrong.
RayA also sells his tooling.....so many people have the same equipment he does ;-)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JsK View Post
If it was anybody other than RayA racing then there could a lot of problems. Most are things that require pretty expensive and percision measuring tools to check for.
Realy? I have pinched many engines with not so precise tooling and I do not use precise measuring equipment, the fit of the piston is my only measure tool.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

ray does a outstanding job and his tooling is great, but several people can do good work with and without his tooling. there are even guys that have been doing it longer that also have race experience as well.

I personally do not use his tooling and have great success.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

pinch my own also with a tool that was made years ago,but the people don't sell them anymore.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think I could have worded my op better. The sleeve and piston are brand new OEM OS engine parts. It came to me like this, I never installed it. It just seems like the piston comes up farther in the sleeve than I thought it would, being brand new. I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting punkd by someone who re pinched a sleeve and is selling it as new.

Last edited by axo409; 04-14-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 AM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

RayA also sells his tooling.....so many people have the same equipment he does ;-)
Yep, thats what I said in my original post.

pinch my own also with a tool that was made years ago,but the people don't sell them anymore.
I personally do not use his tooling and have great success.
Realy? I have pinched many engines with not so precise tooling and I do not use precise measuring equipment, the fit of the piston is my only measure tool.
Yeah and they used to circumcision with a sharp rock....dont really see anyone lining up for that. Prob worked just fine too.

The question is not so much is it possible, but how consistent are your results
from job to job. There is alot more to this than just how much resize is done, but also where in the taper and how round things end up.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post

thanks but is the test done without the glow plug?
Old 04-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by axo409 View Post
thanks but is the test done without the glow plug?
no
engine needs to be completely assembled.
and many time an engine will have mechanical pinch when cold
but loose it when it heats up.
If you put it on the track and it runs 3 to 5 minutes and shut off or feels
like it is losing power at the end of the run, then it needs a pinch.
just my 2 cents
Old 04-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

If you have the coin, you can use a Ryan Lutz torque screwdriver to check the engine pinch.

http://lutzinator.com/lutzrc/cart/in...5q6o0rff9ssfn5
Old 04-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

CV series engines never really had that much pinch to begin with.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
If you have the coin, you can use a Ryan Lutz torque screwdriver to check the engine pinch.

http://lutzinator.com/lutzrc/cart/in...5q6o0rff9ssfn5
cool thanks