Search

***Trying To Decide....Input Appreciated***

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ***Trying To Decide....Input Appreciated***

Hey guys,

I'm sure you probably get tired of reading these threads and i do apologize. I tried searching as much as i could myself. A lot of threads were atleast a year old and being an RC enthusiast since the original Savage 25, i know a lot can change in a span of even a year.

Okay, so here is my dilemma. I honestly have lost interest in the hobby the past 3-4 years. Mainly because i got tired of dumping 100s and 1000s into something i never end up using for longer than a few days. I'm the guy who buys the best of the best and then upgrades before i even run it. (an expensive sickness). Real world things became priority and i honestly just lost interest because not any tracks near me.

I've had 4-5 savages, couple of Revo 3.3 and even a few LST 2s. so by nature, i looked up what HPI and Traxxas are currently offering in their flagship trucks. Been a nitro guy, but i'm considering electric just to try it. Never worked on electric or even understand how it works, but i'm willing to learn.

A friend is getting a Slash and is bugging me to buy a truck with him to go out and mess around together. I figured it might be a good excuse to get back into the hobby, but i know myself. i'll get bored quick and it'll sit in the garage longer than i ever use it. So i'm not wanting to invest too much into the hobby. My Original plan was too buy a Nitro Roller off ebay and add my own power plant or buy a truck which was barely used and go from there. Low initial investment and if i don't use it, i'm not out $800. Electric, i'm a bit nervous buying used, because i don't fully understand how these motors/escs are treated or what's considered abused or not. Thought maybe i should buy a new electric trucker, but just not sure.

Comparing the Flux HP to the E-revo Brushless was my initial choice, but i read more about the TT MT4 G3, which sounds great, but apparently it's discontinued so i can imagine how hard it must be to come by, let alone parts. Any new trucks worth looking at? what about comparing the 2 i have already named? saw HPI has a Trophy truggy flux, how are these?

I'm looking for a fast durable truck, will be mainly street and bashing around in the mud which will not require too much from me. I understand things will break and i'm fine with that, But wanting a complete truck. something fun, durable out of the box. minimal hassle and can take a beating (like the savages i've owned)

I know it's a long read, but i figured it would be smart to give full details so you guys aren't replying with questions about my experience or intentions with the vehicle. Just saves time in the long run.

Thank you for reading and looking forward to your responses.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Hobby Shop Support

Do you have a lhs and what do they stock? Do they stand behind their customers? If they do, I'd look at what they sell. If not, might as well mail order so sky's the limit.

I'm a nitro mt guy to. Several Kyosho USA-1 Nitro Crushers, a Tmaxx, 3 Revos, and a LST. I've never hesitated to put them in mud but electrics??..

Electric rtrs require a relatively costly initial investment in lipos and a compatible charger. You've probably got what you need for nitro, with the possible exception of fresh fuel.

You haven't listed any bad brands. If you're going to race, go with what's popular, electrics or nitro. For mt muddin and bashing, I'd stick with nitro.

Keep in mind that for your stated purpose of bashing and muddin, you'd have to take special care to protect escs and electric motors so as not to overheat them. Shield them to much, not enough airflow. To little, they'll get smothered in mud and overheat anyway. Nitro poses the same problem but I've mudded without issue. I don't know if electrics would be as versatile.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Another pure nitro MT guy here. I started electric, and quickly lost interest in it. IMO the batteries alone are a good reason for me to not get one any day soon. The charging and waiting, and the cost of the things these days is astronomical, at elast for Lipo. And Lipos don't like water, they can actually burst into flames when exposed to water if it gets in the case. Air can make them explode, too if it contacts the lithium inside there. I have also heard they can vent when if discharged too much and burst into flames. If I were getting an electric truck I'd probably stick to the old school brushed motors with MiMH batteries for simplicity, but that's me.

Anyways, one truck that is at the very top of my list is the Kyosho Mad Force Kruiser 2.0. I've heard they are very strong in stock form, and the solid axle design is just killer! Never yet heard a valid complaint about them at all. Plus it has 3 speeds and a decent .25 engine and is priced well. The only downside I can come up with for that truck is local parts availability and hop ups. I'm not really sure there is much you can do to modify it.

If mods are your thing Traxxas is the best choice by far. I've been with the T Maxx as my main truck for 14 years now and have done all manner of things to them, the mod choices are virtually endless with those things! Another upside to a T Maxx is that you can likely find a nice roller or even a complete used truck for $200 or less. My brother recently bought a used stock 3.3 T Maxx from Craigslist for $250 and it came with the optional reverse kit and all the telemetry stuff installed along with some fuel and a tool box full of RC tools and some spare parts. I recently saw a fully built big block T Maxx on Ebay for $300, and it looked very clean. Either way, the options you listed are good as well. Good luck with your choice!