Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
buggy vs truggy >

buggy vs truggy

buggy vs truggy

Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default buggy vs truggy

Ive never had a truggy. I started with MTs, then got into buggies. I had a 2wd SCT for a while too(didnt like it).

So what is it that people like about truggies over buggies? Ive been thinking about buying one lately. I have 3 buggies already but one can never have enough rc's.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

One can never have enough RCs...
I like truggies because of the look and the way they handle very close to buggies, yet able to run on all sorts of terrains like the MTs. The size matters too. Get a good truggy, you will see!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Truggies look cooler IMO, but buggies are more fun to drive (IMO).

The big plus for me of truggies is that the racing scene is more laid back - not so uptight as with buggies. The main downside of truggies is tire prices, which are flat-out stupid.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Truggy tends to soak up more stuff than a buggy will, so really you don't have to be as precise with your driving. You can make more mistakes and not get tossed on your lid as much. Buggy is WAY less forgiving than a Truggy. Both handle similar if you set them up correctly. Bigger tires and longer suspension helps for sure on the Truggy.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A Truggy will take all you can throw at it. They are easy to drive and is a good stress reliever when you are having a bad day in an other class.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Truggy is fun to race because you can drive the mess out if it. You don't have to finesse it like you do a buggy. When I race buggy, I tend to be more focused and in control. When I race truggy, I'm smiling, laughing, and feel like I'm trying to blow my engine up. You really can push them a lot harder.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default track conditions

A truggy can make driving a lot more fun on a really poor maintained track. As mentioned, the big downside is tire cost. Look at the classifieds every few hours and jump on a good deal on tires.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Perfect example of how truggy can be better on a bLoWn OuT track is the recent Silver State Nitro Challenge in Las Vegas. The results were something like the top 8 truggies were as fast as the fastest buggy and the top 3 truggies were faster by 2 laps. Buggy is usually regarded as the premier class however.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Truggy's definitely allows you to drive far more aggressive and they are way more forgiving than buggy, the bigger wheels longer wheelbase and wider foot print really do make truggy way more forgiving, like some one already said when you wheel a truggy you seem to be having more fun while being a lot more laid back don't get me wrong the competition still gets very aggressive.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

So as someone who has never raced rc's, truggy may be a better way to get into it? I have 3 buggies but im a horrible driver. I dont get enough practice. I think starting out racing in a 1/8 buggy may be more frustrating than fun if what you are saying is true. I love working on and building the cars/trucks as much as driving them but i absolutely hate trouble shooting when something isnt going my way. Maybe truggies are a way to ease into it a little?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bksrt View Post
So as someone who has never raced rc's, truggy may be a better way to get into it? I have 3 buggies but im a horrible driver. I dont get enough practice. I think starting out racing in a 1/8 buggy may be more frustrating than fun if what you are saying is true. I love working on and building the cars/trucks as much as driving them but i absolutely hate trouble shooting when something isnt going my way. Maybe truggies are a way to ease into it a little?
Truggies could be a good starting point. The only reason it wouldn't be is the popularity of truggies. If there isn't a good turn out for truggies on race day you might not be able to run.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bksrt View Post
Basically, yes.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Whats the common engine size for truggy? Is it restricted to .21 like buggy or can i run .25-.28?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Check your local track rules but usually truggies are restricted to .28
Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

truggies are alot more forgiving then buggies, but for someone just starting out, id suggest buggy first, why? its easier to go from buggy to truggy, then it is from truggy to buggy, its like i cant drive 2wd because i started on a 4wd and dont have the patience to completely change the way i drive to suit a 2wd, whereas someone who started 2wd can always go back, if u start truggy, i feel that driving a buggy will be difficult and frustrating

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.