Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. .18 CV-RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default O.S. .18 CV-RX

Just a quick question here, I am going to be starting another project T Maxx soon and I am looking at engines at the moment. What I have is a bone stock original 1999 T Maxx roller. I want to build the truck as true to old school as possible, narrow suspension, reverse intact. I even have an old MIP Stinger rear exhaust I dug out of mothballs for this. I was considering just throwing a new Pro .15 in it, but then I ran across the O.S. .18 CV-RX. It has the rotary carb and side exhaust like I want for this project.

Now I know without a doubt O.S. engines are good, high quality engines. My question is how powerful is this engine? The entire drive train on my roller is stock right now and I am curious how it would handle this engine. I want to keep the reverse and want to keep the cost down on this build so I don't want to throw steel gears in everything. I know an old 4910 Pro .15 drive line will handle a TRX 2.5R on stock 3.2 wheels, been there before with my old Maxx and I'm pretty sure the new 4910 T Maxx classic is basically the same truck as an old Pro .15 just with wider A arms. So how does this engine compare in power to the TRX 2.5R? Any necessary upgrades such as a stronger slipper or will it run okay as a drop in mill?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

As long as you dont do crazy bashing with it, the drivr lines and diffs and trans should hold up fine. If you are trying to pull wheelies and beat the snot out of it. cvds and rrp trans and diff gears are in order.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Cool that sounds like it will work fine. I usually set my slippers the way they are meant to be set instead of tight for wheelies anyways. I'm not really going for an all out bullet proof basher truck on this one, my big block Maxx is set up for the serious beatings. This one will be a tame old school truck for some nostalgia action mostly. I just recently came back to RC, and it seems in my absence the rotary carb side exhaust options have all but dried up. Hopefully it will work well without causing too many problems as other options aside from the weak Pro .15 are thin.