Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Just getting back into RC after 15 years. Quick 1/8 scale servo question >

Just getting back into RC after 15 years. Quick 1/8 scale servo question

Just getting back into RC after 15 years. Quick 1/8 scale servo question

Old 02-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Just getting back into RC after 15 years. Quick 1/8 scale servo question

Hey what's up guys. Glad to be part of this community. I used to be heavy into 1/10th scale racing in the late 90's early 00's. It was all about high speed servos back then so I am wondering if it's the same thing.

I have my eyes on this Futaba S9352hv servo. Is this thing overkill for a 1/8 scale Losi 8ight 3.0? The specs at 7.4v are as follows.

Speed: 0.06 sec/60
Torque: 305.6oz/in (22kg/cm)

I want the fastest servos I can get for steering at least, but not sure what is considered overkill. I know the torque is plenty though. Let me know what you guys think and thank you in advance.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losd View Post
Hey what's up guys. Glad to be part of this community. I used to be heavy into 1/10th scale racing in the late 90's early 00's. It was all about high speed servos back then so I am wondering if it's the same thing.

I have my eyes on this Futaba S9352hv servo. Is this thing overkill for a 1/8 scale Losi 8ight 3.0? The specs at 7.4v are as follows.

Speed: 0.06 sec/60
Torque: 305.6oz/in (22kg/cm)

I want the fastest servos I can get for steering at least, but not sure what is considered overkill. I know the torque is plenty though. Let me know what you guys think and thank you in advance.
This is exactly the servo I use, highly recommended! Not twitchy or overly fast at all.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

that's exactly what I wanted to hear. That speed to torque ratio cannot be beat! How long have you been running them? Pretty durable?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Same ones im hopefully getting this weekend. I had a couple bls servos last year. Wanting to upgrade this year. Although I havent tried any. Ive heard nothing but good of them.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Losd View Post
that's exactly what I wanted to hear. That speed to torque ratio cannot be beat! How long have you been running them? Pretty durable?
I have had mine for about two months. That said, 6 other racers (some of the best in my area) have been running them for up to 2 years. They are the ones who convinced me and my friend to switch to them. We were running Hitec 7954hv, and we both had failures with those...as well as they were slower, so it was a little harder to make those needed tiny adjustments when things got hairy....

Also, last year I ran a protek 130ss for a while, and it was VERY fast,almost felt too fast or twitchy sometimes(even though it was also a .06 if I remember correctly). That servo did not last but a couple months as a steering servo for my XB8e.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Overkill in 1/8 = reliability.
That's a great servo. Personally I run the KO rsx line and I have been very happy with them.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Overkill in 1/8 = reliability...
Truth!

Plus, You can always dial out some servo speed if needed in the radio.....cant dial in more speed if wanted! lol
Old 03-06-2015, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ctsvls2 View Post
Truth!

Plus, You can always dial out some servo speed if needed in the radio.....cant dial in more speed if wanted! lol
+1