TLR 8ight 3.0 Gas Buggy/Truggy?

TLR 8ight 3.0 Gas Buggy/Truggy?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)
Default TLR 8ight 3.0 Gas Buggy/Truggy?

http://www.neobuggy.net/2015/01/28/l...e-8ight-buggy/

Thoughts?

Last edited by charlesandstuff; 01-28-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Haven't seen anything on weight yet. That and power would be top of the list of questions for me.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

I think the RC world has changed a lot in the last five years. A big part of it now is people who just want instant gratification, making the hobby shallower, who only know electric, and possibly had a bad experience with some POC Traxxas RTR engine, who now hate nitro and give it a bad name. This has spread to Mc-hobby-chain-stores perpetuating the myth that nitro is all hassle and no fun, and just pushing pushing pushing electric Traxxas RTR's with shiny boxes and inflated performance promises. A lot of people who believe this are IMVHO idiots.

So now Losi has apparently decided to bet the farm that the "future of RC" is in the hands of idiots. Maybe they're right. But my guess is this will flop.

This engine in the XXL-2 has been precisely that. Lots of stories of guys blowing rods on break-in, getting replacements, and blowing those rods too.

They took a nitro engine and converted it to gas. Sounds great for marketing - "all the sound and smoke and realism of nitro, but none of the (supposed..) 'hassle'".. Well, ask some of these XXL-2 owners about hassle... Not only is the rod a fatal issue apparently, but it still requires fine tuning, it requires expensive fancy-schmancy oil, and it still won't match the performance of nitro.

So that's my $.02 on the topic... Nitro FTW.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is no comparison of the amount of power the nitro will have over the gas. Look at 1/5 scales, you make the gas engines nitro and you double the power. Nitro will never die and gas will never be that big of a deal with 1/8th because the pros will never run gas. Just the facts
Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It could work eventually. Years ago, everybody said that 4 strokes would never be competitive in supercross.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

I see it more as Losi taking a gamble that the shallow-minded mentality of newbish nitro-haters will determine the market. I don't think it will. Just look how many nitro engine brands are out there. Serious 8th scale racing is nitro, and it's deeply established. Maybe they'll let these things race along with nitro some day.. But this engine is basically an LRP .30 converted to gas. What other companies are going to convert their (cheap) nitro engines to gas? Don't see it.. But who knows.. Maybe Novarossi and OS will release gas converted .28's... But I don't see them being all worried and pressured that they have to compete with this Dynamite engine. Real 8th scale engines are nitro - always have been and almost certainly always will be.

And it can't be stressed enough - this engine is not "tuning-free".. Nor is even the much bigger Savage Octane engine... (and that thing took YEARS to get to market, and still apparently isn't all that great...) The whole concept of marketing it on the basis of being easier to tune is false. The angle of cheaper gas isn't even that persuasive, since the oil you need for it is so expensive..

Stupid idea...
Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

My concern would be that the exhausts from gasoline powered engines would be far more poisonous, also gasoline as a flammable is more dangerous than our methanol fuels today, raising safety concerns over health/death, and fire hazard.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Tech Initiate

The future? Maybe for a separate class of racing, and/or for beginners that don't want to jump right into nitro. But future, as in taking over nitro all together? I doubt it.

I stepped away from bashing my TMaxx for about 4 years, and when I got back into RC last month and hit up a local hobby shop asking about a 1/8 nitro buggy, they were quick to push electric on me. They said the way they are now, you can get similar run times as nitro, they are faster, and no hassles of tuning an engine every time you use it.

So what did I do? Bought a 1/8 NITRO buggy LOL.

It kind of reminds me of when people get into sportbikes and suggest for people to start with a 600 first, then move onto a 750/1000.

There are those that like to take some steps, and then there are those that just hop in and figure it out off the start.

And so I see this gas option as another stepping stone.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

you can blow up a gas engine just as easy as a nitro if you cant tune
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

And the only RC's I've seen literally go up in flames were electrics...
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

oh and there is no fast pit stop. have to twist off the tank cap instead of a spring loaded cap
Old 01-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

BLOSI JUNK LOL
Old 01-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In the race setting dealing with the gas itself would be my biggest issue. We have all spilled, splashed, ext nitro fuel. That has little to no danger. Spill gas in the wrong spot and we could have some big issues.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The biggest problem with gas, is gas itself. It stinks. A baby wipe, and any hint of nitro on your hands is gone. Scrubbing your hands with soap and water often times isn't enough to remove gas odors. You can forget ever working on your cars in your house. How many times has your 1:1 car or truck wreaked after getting gas for your lawnmover/weedwacker?

Gas has to be stored in a proper container. These 1gal nitro jugs aren't going to work. Just something else to lug around to the track since you can't just keep in your rubbermaid bin with your r/c gear.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The two cycle oil that Losi requires you use makes it about the same price as running nitro too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.