Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
James Racing Tires >

James Racing Tires

Like Tree58Likes

James Racing Tires

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2019, 12:23 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: James Racing Tires
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Evoking1230
James Racing Tire Prep/Gluing Tips

1. Use non-chlorinated brake cleaner or Alcohol to clean bead of tire.
2. Dremel wheel bead. This gives it a good bonding surface. Clean after dremel with above cleaners mentioned above.
3. Use loctite professional glue.
4. Enjoy!

What James Racing Tires are compared to in other brands:

PL suppressor - Y-Zip
PL lockdown - Revenger
PL fugetive - Defenders
PL blockade - Y-Zip or Revenger
PL switchblade - Wasper

Dot Evo works on wet or dusty tracks and every track condition.
Wasper is like a Hole Shot/Buck Shot.
I-Blocks are amazing on dusty blue grooves.
X-Cross is like a Bow Tie.

The rubber wears like iron and the SS compound is close to a M3 PL and if sauced with PB Blaster, feels like a M4. The 5 rib inserts are like Dirt Techs so they don't break down fast like PL foams do.

"Compound Chart"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking1230
So is there a chart for which compound to go with in what weather/conditions?

I live in Texas and currently in the 70ís-80ís. Lately, occasional 50ís-60ís. And of course the 90ís in the summer and then some.
Thanks.
/Quote

There is no chart, but traction level is more important than temps. Use SS for low grip, Soft for high grip, and Medium for extreme/abrasive grip levels.

Print Wikipost

Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok is it just me or something whacky here!?!

I know how to glue wheels/tires. Never had them come off until now on the Pentangles I recently purchased.

I sanded the lip on the wheels, washed, prepped both rubber surfaces and plastic surfaces with alcohol but they are still coming undone. This is the 2nd time now. Maybe my glue? But I glued up some Jconcepts tires/wheels and they held 90+ laps today.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post

I know how to glue wheels/tires. Never had them come off until now on the Pentangles I recently purchased.

I sanded the lip on the wheels, washed, prepped both rubber surfaces and plastic surfaces with alcohol but they are still coming undone. This is the 2nd time now. Maybe my glue? But I glued up some Jconcepts tires/wheels and they held 90+ laps today.
When did you buy the glue? If it gets old it won't hold. It's a crap shoot really because there is no telling how long the stuff sat in storage/on shelf. They need to put "born on dates" on glue bottles.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post

I use non-chlorinated brake clean to clean bead of tire. Dremel wheel bead. Use loctite professional glue. Glued up about 12 sets of Pentangle and ran until bald with no issues in 2017-2018.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by VPProUSA View Post
I use non-chlorinated brake clean to clean bead of tire. Dremel wheel bead. Use loctite professional glue. Glued up about 12 sets of Pentangle and ran until bald with no issues in 2017-2018.
Ok Iíll give this a go.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
When did you buy the glue? If it gets old it won't hold. It's a crap shoot really because there is no telling how long the stuff sat in storage/on shelf. They need to put "born on dates" on glue bottles.
agreed.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by VPProUSA View Post
Is this the glue?

Old 04-15-2019, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

That's the glue I started using last season and haven't had a problem yet. I just clean the tire with simple green and that's it. No extra elbow work needed. Old glue can definitely be the culprit
Old 04-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sebtarta View Post
Is this the glue?

Well...just ordered like 3 of these so they better be good!
sebtarta and billdelong like this.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How thick is the Loctite glue? I used Gorilla glue with very good results but I would say it is thicker than most medium RC tire glue.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
How thick is the Loctite glue? I used Gorilla glue with very good results but I would say it is thicker than most medium RC tire glue.
Same as AKA glue. It is a medium-thin.
Big Will likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's the glue I've been using for a while now. Seems to be the best stuff I've found. I like the fact that it's not as thin as other (water-like) glues. When doing truggy tires I take my dremel and sand/scuff the tire bead pretty good as well as the wheel bead area. Then clean with simple green. I think the power of a truggy motor put more stress on the glue bead area. I think a little more prep for a truggy tire is needed to ensure that the tires stayed glued. Since I've been doing it this way I haven't had any truggy tires come unglued.
Evoking1230 likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
That's the glue I've been using for a while now. Seems to be the best stuff I've found. I like the fact that it's not as thin as other (water-like) glues. When doing truggy tires I take my dremel and sand/scuff the tire bead pretty good as well as the wheel bead area. Then clean with simple green. I think the power of a truggy motor put more stress on the glue bead area. I think a little more prep for a truggy tire is needed to ensure that the tires stayed glued. Since I've been doing it this way I haven't had any truggy tires come unglued.
I did the same minus the Loctite glue for my Pentangles (truggy tire). Came unglued.

Re-did them with the loctite glue and hoping they hold up. Even put a thin bead around the wheel where it meets the rubber to help "seal" it.

I'll let you know how it goes if the track is open Sunday.
Mark K likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

I can confirm the Loctite glue worked like a charm! Held up just fine for 104 laps while I was out testing yesterday
Mark K and billdelong like this.