R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Ryan Lutz quitq Durango (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/845191-ryan-lutz-quitq-durango.html)

speedy2 11-03-2014 03:22 AM

Ryan Lutz quitq Durango

http://abload.de/img/10372762_700601513308y6rzp.jpg

In recent months I have been contemplating my career trajectory and what I want to accomplish by the end of my racing career.
I have looked at what pieces of the puzzle I feel are some of the missing links, and a big one for me is the consistent support system at races (mechanic / engineer / pit man / ext.).
As a primary catalyst, this has resulted in my decision to leave Team Durango. This was not a decision that I took lightly.
As many are aware, 4 years ago I agreed to a ’10 year deal’ with Team Durango.
Of course over those 4 years Durango ownership has changed to Hobbico.
In that change, was a change to my contract as evidence by the “Ryan Lutz resigns with Durango for another year” press release early this year.
Obviously we are not quite at that year but Durango has been gracious in their understanding, and is allowing me
to begin with my new company sooner to prepare for the upcoming season.

It was an extremely hard decision as i’m very happy with the performance of the new DNX8 buggy.
I’ve had some great results with the buggy including 3rd at the ROAR Nationals, starting 4th on the grid for the IFMAR Worlds A-main, and most recently
a win at the Byron Challenge.
I’ve seen the project through almost to its entirety, and I was very excited to see it coming to fruition.
But I feel like the next step for me and my career involves having the support package that I witness with the likes of Tessman, Cavalieri, and others who are constantly at the top.
That opportunity has presented itself to me and I’ve decided to take it.

I must give Durango and those I’ve worked with a huge thank you for the 4 years of support and camaraderie.
I want to wish them the absolute best of luck with the new platforms as I’m sure they will be very successful with them.

-Ryan Lutz-

Shane Racer 11-03-2014 03:30 AM

Good luck wherever you go Ryan. You will be a great addition to any team.

Stubbs 11-03-2014 04:19 AM

Good luck to you Ryan! You will be a valuable asset to any company!

It's unfortunate that Team Durango / Hobbico didn't provide a similar level of factory support at the events as some of the other manufacturers....

WonTonsChicken 11-03-2014 04:36 AM

Well said. Im sure the next chapter in your career/hobby will be a fun and exciting adventure. Good luck! Hope to see you sometime at the track!

TheMuffinman 11-03-2014 04:43 AM

My pick were he will end at mugen or losi or tekno

Ssilverfz1 11-03-2014 04:47 AM

Associated........do they have a true 1/8 nitro guy right now? Cav is more 1/10 oriented the team manager even said so at the worlds

JsK 11-03-2014 04:50 AM

Ryan is the "Complete Package" for any team looking for someone beyond just
another driver.

Wish you all the best Ryan.

Apco1 11-03-2014 04:54 AM

Associated seems to be the logical move.

BillyT. 11-03-2014 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ssilverfz1 (Post 13634464)
Associated........do they have a true 1/8 nitro guy right now? Cav is more 1/10 oriented the team manager even said so at the worlds

Was this before or after the guy got second?

13Maschine 11-03-2014 05:14 AM

Good luck Ryan! The Durango fans and myself will miss having you to root for as well as your great setup tips. Wherever you land I'm sure you will do well!

Cheers!

Ssilverfz1 11-03-2014 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 13634488)
Was this before or after the guy got second?

It was before, he stated that Cav was doing a great job but that 1/8 nitro wasn't really his specialty. Either way, with Maifield gone there is an opening there. Hartson, Cav, Lutz.......................not much of a drop off if any if you ask me. Maifield is very fast but Lutz always seems to be there. I just think if his issue is team support, Associated is the best place to land and there is an opening to get the A team back to their same amount of drivers they had before Maifield left.

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few drivers started inquiring about moving to the A team when Maifield left. But it makes sense to take a guy that really focuses on nitro doesn't it?

pickle311 11-03-2014 06:44 AM

Good luck Ryan and PLEASE go to Xray.

If any of you haven't ever met Ryan Lutz, make it a point to do so. Ryan is the model racer of RC. You will not meet a more open and friendly pro at the races. I've never seen anyone near that level with a better personality. Without a doubt, Ryan is the type of person you want representing your company.
No matter what he drives, I will always be pulling for Ryan to get the win.

masher81 11-03-2014 06:54 AM

He's not going to Associated, Losi, Mugen, Kyosho.

Frank L 11-03-2014 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by masher81 (Post 13634650)

Nope

Eivind E 11-03-2014 07:09 AM

Another for HB?

Plopes 11-03-2014 07:25 AM

I have been a fan of Ryan's ever since he drove for Tamiya.
A true ambassador and gentleman of the sport.
I wish you all the best wherever you go Mr Lutz.

Ssilverfz1 11-03-2014 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 13634677)
Nope

so that leaves.................Xray, Tekno, Agama.........sorry forgot Hot Bodies..........if support is what he is looking for Xray would have the largest budget for that I would think. Tekno might be in play, know nothing of Agama.

Fun to talk about, there are less PAID racing positions in RC than there are QB spots in the NFL. Pretty exclusive group.

Apco1 11-03-2014 07:55 AM

Then I hope he goes to Tekno!

Jaz240 11-03-2014 08:00 AM

Ryan was very upset that word got leaked a couple of months ago. Those of you who know where he is going please keep it to yourself and let Ryan make the official announcement.

Ssilverfz1 11-03-2014 08:15 AM

He is a hell of a nice guy, answered one of my long worded pm's about his motors and gave me a very honest answer to my question.

So I do hope his wishes are honored.

Still fun to speculate

Sein 11-03-2014 08:47 AM

I'm happy for him and wish him all the best. He is a true gentleman!

Pulse_ 11-03-2014 09:16 AM

I don't know him personnaly but his interventions, support and results talk for themselves. He is open to share his knowledge whatever if you're a club racer or a pro. The r/c world needs more people like him, he's so dedicated to his passion. I wish him the best, he deserved to be on the podium during the Worlds. A company can't ask for a better example than him.

As a side note I have to say a special thanks to Ryan for everything we learned from his website, tutorials and vids. If I don't know how to do something I first type "Ryan Lutz how to blablabla" on google and then I do some search on rctech :lol:

Leggie 11-03-2014 09:38 AM

Didn't SWorkz say they were signing a top american driver a few months ago, and there's also JQ who were looking for a top american,

madweazl 11-03-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leggie (Post 13635024)
Didn't SWorkz say they were signing a top american driver a few months ago, and there's also JQ who were looking for a top american,

I think Sworks could be a real possibility. With him and Hara on board, that buggy could be on the fast track to being a top performer.

Jaymancd 11-03-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by madweazl (Post 13635065)
I think Sworks could be a real possibility. With him and Hara on board, that buggy could be on the fast track to being a top performer.

i dont think that buggy will ever be a top performer with someone as good a hara not being close to making the final at the worlds

madweazl 11-03-2014 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymancd (Post 13635070)
i dont think that buggy will ever be a top performer with someone as good a hara not being close to making the final at the worlds

Why do you think he is there?

ctsvls2 11-03-2014 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by madweazl (Post 13635065)

This is interesting.....that would make the Sworkz brand a REAL contender here in the states!

BillyT. 11-03-2014 10:11 AM

You guys are missing the biggest point of him leaving Durango...

He wants to be a part of something big. Not interested being the marquee driver for a company like SWorkz where he is the only pro making the main then having to use busted parts to get his car ready for it... At least that is the impression I get from reading the article.

Hes going big 5, IMO. Kyo, Mugen, Losi, XRay or AE...

Plus SWorkz bet the farm on Hara... I doubt he was cheap.

madweazl 11-03-2014 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 13635101)

He wants to be a part of something big. Not interested being the marquee driver for a company like SWorkz where he is the only pro making the main then having to use busted parts to get his car ready for it... At least that is the impression I get from reading the article.

Sworks probably has the money... No matter where he lands, he'll be a great addition.

ctsvls2 11-03-2014 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BillyT. (Post 13635101)

I read the article a little differently than you do... I see it more as him wanting a budget to be able to take a support team with him, not necessarily a bigger race team of drivers. If that makes sense....

I think he will do well no matter where he lands....wish him all the best.

(and yes, I assume Sworkz spent a pretty penny on Hara! What happened to him at the worlds?)

TruggyDude91 11-03-2014 10:46 AM

I wish Ryan the best with whatever company he decides to sign with next. He is very helpful and probably the nicest guy in RC. But, I do think that Team Associated is the way to go for him and here's why. Team Associated has what Ryan felt his current chassis sponsor lacks: 1/8th scale and 1/10 scale support both nitro and electric. Team Associated has a great support team at the races similar to that of TLR. Ryan races both 1/8th scale nitro and 1/10th scale electric which some companies only offer one, but not the other. Mugen and Tekno do not have a foot in 1/10th scale with the exception of Tekno having a SCT. But mainly he would have to run another chassis in order to race 1/10th scale. This is similar to Ty Tessmann who runs TLR vehicles for the models of 1/10th scale that HB does not produce. Now that Maifield left the family, AE is probably looking for someone to fill the void/position and it would be smart for AE to sign Lutz. He is the ultimate package. I don't think he would go with TLR because their stables are pretty well packed right now. Kyosho, no, he ran Kyosho for a little while back in the day, but went to Tamiya. But I could be wrong, but this is what I speculate will happen. Hopefully something surfaces soon.

BillyT. 11-03-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ctsvls2 (Post 13635175)
I read the article a little differently than you do... I see it more as him wanting a budget to be able to take a support team with him, not necessarily a bigger race team of drivers. If that makes sense....

I can see that... It could go either way... having a huge team with car engineers and other pros on site(big 5), or just having a small team dedicated to his performance(Sworkz)....

Interested to see where he goes and how it does for his racing. Lots of local guys have said Durango has been holding him back for a while... Fastest(one of) car in 2012 Worlds and broke. And diff issues in 2014...

BillyT. 11-03-2014 11:01 AM

If Kyosho won't pay DR, I don't think they would pay Lutz... HB is a long shot...

I think Mugen, or AE... But SWorkz could be a dark horse...

masher81 11-03-2014 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91 (Post 13635178)
. This is similar to Ty Tessmann who runs TLR vehicles for the models of 1/10th scale that HB does not produce.

What TLR cars has Ty ran?

masher81 11-03-2014 11:32 AM

I am really surprised that people keep suggesting Associated. I have seen interviews where Ryan says that 1:8 nitro is his favorite class. Didn't RM leave (accroding the Rctech posters) because the Associated car sucked?

-R2- 11-03-2014 11:33 AM

Yo, Lutz

What ever you driver for your next chapter it will always look good in your hands, when you drove truggies at Rev on full tilt it was badass to see. Buggies got you to work a little more but you got the finesse for it and started to make your drive to the front and challenge all the time. Now I see you can make things go in the right direction just with little support you had, doing it mostly yourself from what I have seen. So I have to say you are the man, A SUPER DUPER TURNMARSHALL and a VERY TALENTED DRIVER. I wish Durango could have got the car right the first time and you and the company would be there but hopefully this next group you head for is a team that can work with you and you can be there to help your fellow team mates challenge them selves. Future team mates open your arms because you have one of the best drivers on your team.

Good Luck Ryan to and your familia,
Dj OFNA

Eivind E 11-03-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ctsvls2 (Post 13635175)
I assume Sworkz spent a pretty penny on Hara! What happened to him at the worlds?

Car didn't perform. Then a few weeks later he was racing touring cars and easily making the worlds top 10..

Basicly if a car can't go fast with Hara driving and wrenching it, how can it ever go fast?
Rewind two years and the guy was on the podium at the worlds with the HB.

Seems fairly clear that once you reach that top level like Hara and other competing drivers, the car can either be an aid to performance or a hindrance. Us mere mortals won't ever know, but it seems fairly obvious the HB was a lot faster for him than the Sworkz was ;)

30Tooth 11-03-2014 12:21 PM

Good luck with whatever team you choose Ryan.
Isn't Hara an A-Main Hobbies sponsored driver? *google*
Carry on...

Ssilverfz1 11-03-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by masher81 (Post 13635270)
I am really surprised that people keep suggesting Associated. I have seen interviews where Ryan says that 1:8 nitro is his favorite class. Didn't RM leave (accroding the Rctech posters) because the Associated car sucked?

The prototype they ran at the worlds did quite well and what better way to introduce a new 1/8 car than with one of the top nitro drivers........but somebody else who seems to be in the know suggested this won't happen.

Tekno could be a very good fit and I have read some posts with tekno stating they would have a big presence at the 2016 worlds when a lot of their customers wondered why there weren't any at the 2014 worlds. They do have both buggy and truggy as well

Apco1 11-03-2014 12:43 PM

But Tekno has no 10th scale program outside of 4x4 sc, which isn't exactly huge anymore.